Homebrew 3DSX Launcher Loader unable to start 3dsxtool.exe

ellectroide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to make a forwarder for PrBoom 3DS using 3DSX Launcher Loader.* I don't want to convert it to a .cia using cxitool, partly because I can't figure out how to do it but also because PrBoom is the kind of app I'll want to easily access to add .wad files when I need to.

I've renamed the folder, its .3dsx file, and its .smdh file to "prboom3D" to comply with the eight-character specification, but I keep getting an error 0xc000007b: "The application [3dsxtool.exe] was unable to start correctly."

I should note I had to obtain the .dll file libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll from another computer, just in case something being wrong with it could explain the problem.

* I'm aware a .cia file is provided on the GitHub, but it does not work for me.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I've renamed the folder, its .3dsx file, and its .smdh file to "prboom3D" to comply with the eight-character specification, but I keep getting an error 0xc000007b: "The application [3dsxtool.exe] was unable to start correctly."

I should note I had to obtain the .dll file libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll from another computer, just in case something being wrong with it could explain the problem.

Get 3dsxtool from somewhere else.

That .dll is specific to Cygwin (or msys ?), and you will not be fine with just that dll, you'll need multiple dlls, and you'll go crazy trying to hunt down all of it.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm trying to make a forwarder for PrBoom 3DS using 3DSX Launcher Loader.*
Reading the description, I'm pretty sure that doesn't do what you are thinking it's supposed to do.

I don't want to convert it to a .cia using cxitool, partly because I can't figure out how to do it
Well, evidently you can't figure out how to do this either?

* I'm aware a .cia file is provided on the GitHub, but it does not work for me.
(And neither is this!)

ellectroide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get 3dsxtool from somewhere else.

Do you know if the .exe can be found anywhere online, or is it only used by a few programs (such as Launcher Loader)? I don't see it on WikiTemp, and all I've found in the repo is the .cpp file.

I'm not experienced with C++, so I'm having trouble converting it into an executable. If it's not out there, I'll just do some more research into how that conversion works.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reading the description, I'm pretty sure that doesn't do what you are thinking it's supposed to do.
Perhaps I should elaborate?

This is a 3DS homebrew application intended for running under a NCCH(which can be installed via .cia), for booting the *hax payloads.
You can't boot *hax payloads under Luma; you'll just get a crash. You certainly can't use this to make some sort of forwarder for an arbitrary .3dsx. This thing is six years old and homebrew has changed considerably since then!

I assure you: your time is much better off spent trying to figure out trying to figure out how to use cxitool or getting the prboom .cia to work rather than the nightmare of trying to compile someone else's old code!

What 3dsxtool.exe are you trying to run exactly, anyway? hblauncher_loader_v1.3.zip from https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/tree/v1.3 only contains a .cia .

Last edited by Kwyjor,
Reactions: ellectroide

ellectroide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What 3dsxtool.exe are you trying to run exactly, anyway? hblauncher_loader_v1.3.zip from https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/tree/v1.3 only contains a .cia .

That's weird... I was using the one provided here. Is GameBrew any good, generally? It doesn't give me the most reliable impression, especially now that I find these downloads didn't match.

I assure you: your time is much better off spent trying to figure out trying to figure out how to use cxitool or getting the prboom .cia to work rather than the nightmare of trying to compile someone else's old code!

If I convert it to a .cia, will I still be able to put .wad files into their normal destination for PrBoom to play them? I may have misunderstood whether that's possible.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see. Well, that's an entirely different matter then. Why did you link to something unrelated to the downloads you were using? There was a previous thread about it here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3dsx-launcher-loader-cia-forwarder-for-3dsx-homebrews.432526/

I guess it doesn't seem to have any dependencies on *hax payloads, but nonetheless I highly doubt it's going to produce anything usable under current versions of Luma or official firmware.

Anyway, looks like you downloaded the 64-bit version of libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll . Use the 32-bit version from https://www.dll-files.com/libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll.html .

If I convert it to a .cia, will I still be able to put .wad files into their normal destination for PrBoom to play them? I may have misunderstood whether that's possible.
I have no idea, but I can't imagine you're the first person who has tried to grapple with such questions.

ellectroide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why did you link to something unrelated to the downloads you were using? There was a previous thread about it here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3dsx-launcher-loader-cia-forwarder-for-3dsx-homebrews.432526/

Sorry, I figured since it's a very old release it would be better to create a new thread. Also, to be completely honest, this website's homepage was very overstimulating so I just assumed I didn't know how to use it without really checking. It goes without saying I'd never have survived the days of widespread decentralized forums. :P

Anyway, looks like you downloaded the 64-bit version of libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll . Use the 32-bit version from https://www.dll-files.com/libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll.html .

How did you know that? I figured I had to be intentionally vague, since I wasn't sure if linking .dll files constituted piracy or something else ban-worthy. :rofl:

Anyway, the download from the actual website worked (go figure). Thanks for your help finding the proper .dll!

EDIT: The .cia produced by 3dsx Launcher Loader had some kind of error involving otherapp. From what I can tell, since otherapp seems to only support firmware versions up to 11.15, I may be out of luck for this method.

Last edited by ellectroide,

ellectroide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: If by any chance you're reading this and having trouble making a working .cia for prboom3ds (I was able to make one that boots with cxitool, but couldn't figure out how to change what directory .wad files go in), check out PrBoom+ for 3DS! It comes with a working .cia file.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EDIT: The .cia produced by 3dsx Launcher Loader had some kind of error involving otherapp. From what I can tell, since otherapp seems to only support firmware versions up to 11.15, I may be out of luck for this method.
otherapp payloads are still used to install CFW on 11.17, but as I said in my other post, they are completely unusable with Luma installed. (You linked to universal-otherapp, a particular implementation used for CFW installation that indeed stopped working a few revisions ago.)

ellectroide

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
otherapp payloads are still used to install CFW on 11.17, but as I said in my other post, they are completely unusable with Luma installed. (You linked to universal-otherapp, a particular implementation used for CFW installation that indeed stopped working a few revisions ago.)

Oh, thanks for clearing that up for me! I wasn't actually expecting a response, just leaving anything behind I thought might help another person with this issue.

It's a shame otherapp can't work with Luma, since I certainly would love to have the functionality of...whatever a hax payload is (it's a worknight, I'll figure it out another time if/when I need to :lol:). I did track down the list of other CFWs and non-universal otherapp, so I have that in case Luma someday poses an insurmountable obstacle; still, it seems unlikely.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a shame otherapp can't work with Luma, since I certainly would love to have the functionality of...whatever a hax payload is (it's a worknight, I'll figure it out another time if/when I need to :lol:).
With the possible exception of a few weird edge cases no one cares about anymore, they have no functionality that is not already available with Luma, which is why no one really uses them for anything but installing CFW anymore.

I did track down the list of other CFWs and non-universal otherapp, so I have that in case Luma someday poses an insurmountable obstacle; still, it seems unlikely.
There is unfortunately an enormous amount of outdated or poorly-maintained information out there, which is why everyone is very enthusiastic about directing people to https://3ds.guide , which is very dependable and already has links to the otherapp payloads for 11.17.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto