Hacking [Release] rxTools - Roxas75 3DS Toolkit [fw 2.0 - 9.2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

megazero1x1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are planning on not using your sysnand and just don't want to erase everything, you could use the gateway launcher to back up your sysnand and back up your sd card contents then format your sysnand. This way you can always restore your sysnand to the state before you started using rxtools and be able to unlink your emunand without losing everything permanently.
Actually the reason I don't want to format Sysnand is because I got a lot of games on it and I do play them, the whole rxtools is something that I use occasionally.
In short I don't want to lose the data on Sysnand

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually the reason I don't want to format Sysnand is because I got a lot of games on it and I do play them, the whole rxtools is something that I use occasionally.
In short I don't want to lose the data on Sysnand
Here's a thought. Don't unlink them. And seriously, all games and progress will be on emunand so you lose nothing by formatting sysnand.

Those are your 2 choices. Period. Buy a gateway, or format sysnand.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was no complete guide available. It made sense to me, at the time, to create emunand around the same time that I'd be able to test it through rxTools. Is that a bad idea?
There are complete guides all over the place. Heck, the Gateway forums on Max Console have a dedicated section for tutorials. There are guides on here too. I'm on my phone so I'm not searching for you.

eXpired

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are complete guides all over the place. Heck, the Gateway forums on Max Console have a dedicated section for tutorials. There are guides on here too. I'm on my phone so I'm not searching for you.

Yeah, no shit. Not complete guides for what I was doing, which was to go from no hardware 3DS XL 9.2 to where I got.. Nowhere did I see anybody mention that it matters whether you create emunand in original nand before downgrading.

Explain to me why it matters?

Edit: By "complete", I mean a step-by-step guide for Dummies to go from 9.2 to where I get (4.2.0 SysNAND with 9.8.0 EmuNAND, without Gateway/CN/DS Flashcart). I mostly followed various tutorials to piece things together on what I needed to do, occasionally with erroneous or incomplete information.

I'm still no expert on 3DS modification. Don't be a dick. Tell me why it was wrong so I can correct it. Does format NAND in Gateway pull OS version related keys when crafting the EmuNAND? I imagined it may key something off of SysNAND, but assumed it was a system unique value not based off of the OS version.

Last edited by eXpired,

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, no shit. Not complete guides for what I was doing, which was to go from no hardware 3DS XL 9.2 to where I got.. Nowhere did I see anybody mention that it matters whether you create emunand in original nand before downgrading.

Explain to me why it matters?

Edit: By "complete", I mean a step-by-step guide for Dummies to go from 9.2 to where I get (4.2.0 SysNAND with 9.8.0 EmuNAND, without Gateway/CN/DS Flashcart). I mostly followed various tutorials to piece things together on what I needed to do, occasionally with erroneous or incomplete information.

I'm still no expert on 3DS modification. Don't be a dick. Tell me why it was wrong so I can correct it. Does format NAND in Gateway pull OS version related keys when crafting the EmuNAND? I imagined it may key something off of SysNAND, but assumed it was a system unique value not based off of the OS version.
Here's the deal, though it's definitely off-topic at this point.

The 3DS has a thing called "Tickets", think of them like a game key. When a game or app is installed to the 3DS, the 3DS gives it a ticket. You can think of it like Steam, and how, when you buy a game, your account is given the ability to install that game, through a "License". They're similar to what's happening in your 3DS.

When you install the application, the ticket is made, and the 3DS now knows that you "own" and can use that application. That prevents people from simply copying the installable data from the SD card of one 3DS to another, and having free piracy from the get-go. Also, when you download a game or app from the eShop, another ticket is created and stored on the Nintendo servers, which grants your NNID the ability to re-download that game or app in the future as well. That's not the ticket we care about right now though.

When this ticket becomes active, the 3DS will recognize the installed data on your SD card, and allow the app to be displayed, and run (if signed correctly), from the home menu. When you format your 3DS, or do a system transfer, all the tickets are reset to the way they were when your console was brand new. This prevents the console from playing those games on another NNID. At the same time, the console creates a new "random seed", used for encryption. What this means, is that the console is basically giving itself a new name, much like you would if reincarnation was a real thing, or you just escaped from the USA after almost getting caught running a drug cartel. Either way, the console will no longer recognize any SD data from before the format, and you will have to start over.

The effect of this, is that you can make the same console fail to recognize installed data from the second system image, or EmuNAND in this case. Thus, you can separate the data recognized by each one. This is called "Unlinking", and is used to prevent the 3DS from deleting software that is recognized as being unsigned, or improperly signed, and therefore not legitimate. The system image present on the hardware, called "SysNAND", is by default unhacked. That's why it tries to delete the unsigned data installed by the EmuNAND partition, usually when it checks it from the Data Management app. This is why we unlink our NANDs in the first place.

Hopefully that explained what you were trying to understand. Good luck on your attempts to get your console set up properly.

eXpired

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, Gadorach, that helps and apologies for the derail.

The basis of this discussion was: does creating/formatting EmuNAND under original SysNAND, as opposed to downgraded SysNAND, make a difference? I understand tickets, generated random keys, etc. What you're saying, then, is that formatting an emunand under original OS version of sysnand, makes a difference from formatting an emunand under downgraded version of sysnand? Meaning, previously installed tickets will match the emunand created from original sysnand, but not from downgraded? I'll buy that. It implies that Gateway's tool either uses data from the installed software and/or OS at time of format, or downgrading is NAND lossy and ditches crucial data to properly creating an emunand. I was just trying to figure out which, and am still curious. I naively thought downgrade -> emunand was fine, because those things hadn't occurred to me.

Anyway, thanks.

Edit: Your point about "When you format your 3DS, or do a system transfer, all the tickets are reset to the way they were when your console was brand new"... that's actually what I assumed with all of this; that it'd create an emunand device specific, regardless of OS version, so it didn't matter what step of the way I created the emunand.

Last edit, last post: High level - would formatting my emunand under original OS, downgrading, launching emunand, upgrading emunand, and copying original SD card contents have preserved my originally installed software? Based on what you're describing, definitely not - and I need to relink NAND/tickets somehow. If that's true, then what's the difference on WHEN I format emunand?

</derail>

Last edited by eXpired,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so when creating an emunand, it scrapes the installed OS for that data and injects it into the image? That would explain everything!
Not exactly. Your tickets might be signed with your NNID info and 4.x maybe has a problem with it? I don't know... I've never had problems myself. But I had emunand before downgrading was a thing...

eXpired

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not exactly. Your tickets might be signed with your NNID info and 4.x maybe has a problem with it? I don't know... I've never had problems myself. But I had emunand before downgrading was a thing...

Actually, eShop MAY have been fine post-upgrade: when restoring my SD card, I skipped replacing some "phcache" (or something) named file; it would make perfect sense that some kind of cache would contain app data for the main screen, so maybe not overwriting that was the problem. I promptly bricked my 3DS running rxTools afterwards because I am a complete idiot, so I can't say for sure at the moment.

I posted the specific steps (complete guide for installing 4.2 sysnand/9.8 emunand) here, in case you're curious what I did: [How-To] Switch from PBT/Pasta/Palantine CFW to rxTools (sig. patched)

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, Gadorach, that helps and apologies for the derail.

The basis of this discussion was: does creating/formatting EmuNAND under original SysNAND, as opposed to downgraded SysNAND, make a difference? I understand tickets, generated random keys, etc. What you're saying, then, is that formatting an emunand under original OS version of sysnand, makes a difference from formatting an emunand under downgraded version of sysnand? Meaning, previously installed tickets will match the emunand created from original sysnand, but not from downgraded? I'll buy that. It implies that Gateway's tool either uses data from the installed software and/or OS at time of format, or downgrading is NAND lossy and ditches crucial data to properly creating an emunand. I was just trying to figure out which, and am still curious. I naively thought downgrade -> emunand was fine, because those things hadn't occurred to me.

Anyway, thanks.

Edit: Your point about "When you format your 3DS, or do a system transfer, all the tickets are reset to the way they were when your console was brand new"... that's actually what I assumed with all of this; that it'd create an emunand device specific, regardless of OS version, so it didn't matter what step of the way I created the emunand.

Last edit, last post: High level - would formatting my emunand under original OS, downgrading, launching emunand, upgrading emunand, and copying original SD card contents have preserved my originally installed software? Based on what you're describing, definitely not - and I need to relink NAND/tickets somehow. If that's true, then what's the difference on WHEN I format emunand?

</derail>
What you're misinterpreting, is that Gateway's EmuNAND builder does not create a new NAND on the SD card. It clones the NAND from your hardware to your SD card. As a result, all the tickets and data from your hardware NAND is, at the time of initial setup, the same as the EmuNAND.

Reactions: eXpired

ShadowDaemon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sorry if i seem to be lost...

im on 4.2,i have a r4,etc. I don't have gatewat,sky or cubic ninja,just the mentioned. If so,how can i play 7.x games after all the news (if possibe) without any of the mentioned? example: rx patched,pata via ds exploit,palentine,etc. Thanks,for instance. i should mention i have 4.2,7.0 and 9.2 original nands on my pc. etc.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry if i seem to be lost...

im on 4.2,i have a r4,etc. I don't have gatewat,sky or cubic ninja,just the mentioned. If so,how can i play 7.x games after all the news (if possibe) without any of the mentioned? example: rx patched,pata via ds exploit,palentine,etc. Thanks,for instance. i should mention i have 4.2,7.0 and 9.2 original nands on my pc. etc.
Without a gateway and a 4.x sysnand, the only way is to install a CIA installer to sysnand, THEN format emunand, (backup your SD card before formatting emunand, or if you already have one, make a fresh nand dump and inject it into emunand using emunand tool) and either leave them linked, which causes some minor annoyances, or format sysnand through system settings with the SD removed to unlink them. All games and progress will be gone from sysnand but will all still be on emunand.

ShadowDaemon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Without a gateway and a 4.x sysnand, the only way is to install a CIA installer to sysnand, THEN format emunand, (backup your SD card before formatting emunand, or if you already have one, make a fresh nand dump and inject it into emunand using emunand tool) and either leave them linked, which causes some minor annoyances, or format sysnand through system settings with the SD removed to unlink them. All games and progress will be gone from sysnand but will all still be on emunand.

ill try. assuming this will end up letting me play unsigned 7x? thanks

Last edited by ShadowDaemon,

godstriker8

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The browser just crashes when I attempt to launch it. I cleared my cookies and history before launching, so I'm out of ideas of what to do.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get "error code 012-1004" in browser yet I did go into settings and the connection test was good and passed im on 9.2

williamcesar2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or Roxas could make it official!
rxPasta.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol +1