Pokemon Rising Sun and Waning Moon
v 2.0
Works for both Pokemon Moon and Sun!
Download & Information:Google is your friend
Feedback is much appreciated and NEEDED
HOMEBREW IS REQUIRED
HOMEBREW INSTALLATION: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/
UPDATES POSTED HERE: https://twitter.com/KobeRobsahm
Download & Instructions: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0By0T413LWAPQaXpEZWpiS3hldlU
NOTICE:

It has come to my attention that my old download links and instructions were within the gbatemp rules. I am not linking any actual roms, or full romfs files. I am only linking the individual edited files required to play Rising Sun & Waning Moon. If this is threatened to be taken down once more, I ask that mods first look and tell me why the Nova Sun/Umbra Moon mods do the same and have remained up.

Please ask if you want to upload this elsewhere, or at least give credit back to this post or my twitter.
Lets start off with some context. Currently, pk3DS allows us to edit the trainers and move sets of pokemon within Pokemon Sun and Moon. I decided to go ahead and create a challenge mode of sorts, similar to that of Pokemon Blaze Black/Volt White. Currently editing wild encounters!

Changes:
  • Trial Captains and Kahunas now all have teams of 6 Pokemon.
  • Level curve greatly changed. Team should be in high 70s/low 80s by the end of the elite 4.
  • Trainers have Pokemon not usually seen in Alola.
  • Movesets of weaker Pokemon is finished.
  • Youngster Joey has a top percent Rattata.
  • Wild encounters up until the post game are finished! Have fun everyone!
  • Custom music for post game returning trainers.
  • Almost every Pokemon has access to their hidden ability.
U42cJcx.png
FWhOC2l.png

IARcrst.png
hzwXlBt.png
IHBUAuF.png
UCPDYoJ.png
cvq352D.png
HHR42RO.png

Video demonstrations:
A NOTE ABOUT INSTRUCTIONS:
THE EASIEST METHOD IS GETTING A CFW, DO IT WHILE YOU CAN.
Instructions: (CFW Required for this method. See other method below if you don't have a CFW) I also still need to make the method easier for Pokemon Sun users, sorry!

THINGS YOU NEED:
- Latest nightly build of luma. (Get this through the .cia updater)
- The hack's GARC files (the stuff that actually overwrites the original assets) Get it from the Google Drive link

New and Updated Instructions! About time!

Luma Game Patcher Method:
    • Create a folder named titles inside luma.
    • Create a folder with the game's title id as the name (0004000000164800 for Sun, 0004000000175E00 for Moon) inside titles.
  • Create a folder titled romfs within luma/titles/(titleID)
  • Place the "a" and "data" folders within the "romfs" folder.
  • Make sure "Enable Game Patcher" is checked in luma3ds setup.
  • Start Sun/Moon
Thats it! Easiest way to tell if its working is by starting a new game or checking your Trainer Passport.

FOR POKEMON SUN USERS: RENAME THE "3" FILE IN a\0\8\ TO "2"

Layeredfs: (These instructions only apply if you use the Layeredfs files)

The LayeredFS feature allows you to replace RomFS files with files on the SD card for most games. To use it:
  • Create a folder named titles inside luma.
  • Create a folder with the game's title id as the name (0004000000164800 for Sun, 0004000000175E00 for Moon) inside titles.
  • Create a folder called romfs in the game's folder.
  • Place the "a" and "data" folders within the "romfs" folder.
  • For example, to use LayeredFS with Pokémon™ Sun, make a folder named romfs , put your replacement files in it, then put romfs in 0004000000164800.
FOR POKEMON SUN USERS: RENAME THE "3" FILE IN a\0\8\ TO "2"

Todo:
  • Re balance according to feedback.
  • Re balance Pokemon move sets and stats once tools are available.
  • Add in last few Pokemon. (Some starters, legendaries, etc.)
  • Finish documentation on the various changes.

Credits:
  • Creators of the tools pk3DS, extract repack, etc.
  • Drayano, for being a cool guy that's better at hacking than I am
Sellout:
I'm a filthy sellout. Follow me on twitter to know when major updates for the romhack come out. https://twitter.com/KobeRobsahm

Last edited by Kobazco,

radboy20XX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I wanted to create a code.ips for another game (like omega ruby) so I could saltySD load garc files for it, how would I go about doing that? SaltySD seems like the most convenient method, especially for only installing what you want out of a romhack.

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I wanted to create a code.ips for another game (like omega ruby) so I could saltySD load garc files for it, how would I go about doing that? SaltySD seems like the most convenient method, especially for only installing what you want out of a romhack.
Salty SD only supports Sun/Moon and smash3ds

radboy20XX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Salty SD only supports Sun/Moon and smash3ds
Bummer, I saw in the instructions for the sun/moon code.bin builder that it was a generic code to change the saltysd directory so i tried to build an oras code.bin to point to an "oras" folder and set it up just like the SuMo patch and it just blackscreened on launch. Not sure what the issue is but at least I know that it's picking up the code.bin. :/

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bummer, I saw in the instructions for the sun/moon code.bin builder that it was a generic code to change the saltysd directory so i tried to build an oras code.bin to point to an "oras" folder and set it up just like the SuMo patch and it just blackscreened on launch. Not sure what the issue is but at least I know that it's picking up the code.bin. :/
LayeredFS is the second easiest method.

Davidistheboss21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok just to let you guys know I tried to do the garc method on pokemon sun witch it did not work I renamed the .code to sun's ID and I renamed the garc's and every thing. but when I tried it on moon it worked so just a heads up I think its impossable to get riseing sun atm with out CFW

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok just to let you guys know I tried to do the garc method on pokemon sun witch it did not work I renamed the .code to sun's ID and I renamed the garc's and every thing. but when I tried it on moon it worked so just a heads up I think its impossable to get riseing sun atm with out CFW
It is possible if you have n3ds. HANS will work with Sun/Moon

CypherEnigma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm successfully running Hans with HBL. N3DS + Hax 2.8

CypherEnigma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i have a new 3DS and i did your totural 3 time but what ever i got worning moon working
Dump the game
Decompress .cxi with ctrtool
Patch Code.bin with LIPS
Replace the files in the dumped/decompressed ROMFS with the provided Garcs
Rebuild the romfs with PackHack(romfsbuilder)
Rename the romfs and code.bin appropriately
???
Profit

Last edited by CypherEnigma,
Reactions: Davidistheboss21

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I'm proud to release what's pretty much the definitive version of Rising Sun & Waning Moon. Of course, there will still be updates to the rom hack fixing bugs and such. And I will continue to work on rebalancing move sets and stats. But for now, here it is.

Changelog:
  • Finished all of the Champion challengers. (Expect Plumeria I just remembered that somehow... Maybe later today)
  • Finished the final battle vs.
    Me
  • The Ultra Beast trainer battles. (Nanu & Mina)
Thanks to everyone who helped me out in making this romhack. From Drayano to those who told me how to use SaltySD (Deathchaos).

And somehow I'm thanking Kotaku here. You gave me publicity lol.

Also huge thanks to the person Lets Playing my romhack right now, Mech_0! Link to this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXe7Z2QjtqVN-0w1KXbP87ENriZXp_mda

Also here's a preview of the final battle:

I'm gonna take a break for a while most likely. Its been fun!

Last edited by Kobazco,

AkitoUF

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Question.

I have my own idea of a hack but I don't want to mess with the game so much.
I want to keep it as pure as possible by only adding a post-game of sort. I know NOTHING about hacking so I just have my idea of this hack.

I think the game would be so much more replayable with just some minor tweaks.
What I want to do is to add rematchable trainers post League. I'd love to fight Red and Blue more times with their full teams, they were kinda disappointing on the tree and also it'd be awesome if you could fight Mallow or Lana again with stronger teams.

My hack would leave the game as it is to keep the original adventure as vanilla as possible and by the time you already fight Red or Blue for first time you can actually fight them again with stronger teams and also battle Wally, Cynthia, Guzma or all the major Trainers with teams worthy of a post game.
With some limitations obviously. For instance, fighting a random trainer of these once a day or actually having to visit them instead of just picking them whenever you want. At most, you can fight each of them once a day.

This would add variety of stronger trainers and help levelling too.

Can pk3DS help me do all this?
It sounds a hell lot like your idea but I just want to mess with the post game.

I'm sorry if all this sounds too noobish or something but I've never actually tried my hand at hacking before and at least I want to make the post game more varied with incentives to return to it each day.

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question.

I have my own idea of a hack but I don't want to mess with the game so much.
I want to keep it as pure as possible by only adding a post-game of sort. I know NOTHING about hacking so I just have my idea of this hack.

I think the game would be so much more replayable with just some minor tweaks.
What I want to do is to add rematchable trainers post League. I'd love to fight Red and Blue more times with their full teams, they were kinda disappointing on the tree and also it'd be awesome if you could fight Mallow or Lana again with stronger teams.

My hack would leave the game as it is to keep the original adventure as vanilla as possible and by the time you already fight Red or Blue for first time you can actually fight them again with stronger teams and also battle Wally, Cynthia, Guzma or all the major Trainers with teams worthy of a post game.
With some limitations obviously. For instance, fighting a random trainer of these once a day or actually having to visit them instead of just picking them whenever you want. At most, you can fight each of them once a day.

This would add variety of stronger trainers and help levelling too.

Can pk3DS help me do all this?
It sounds a hell lot like your idea but I just want to mess with the post game.

I'm sorry if all this sounds too noobish or something but I've never actually tried my hand at hacking before and at least I want to make the post game more varied with incentives to return to it each day.
You can't add new trainers in their entirety. You must replace existing trainers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU