Best method for both hacked/vanilla Pokémon UM on one 3DS

bobkipper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to have both Pokémon Ultra Moon and Pokémon Prismatic Moon on my New 3DS. It's my partner's favorite pokemon game, so I wanted to give it a try. They want to give Prismatic Moon a try simultaneously, but we just have the one New 3DS between us. I've done a lot of searching and can't find a better solution than what I'll outline below, but maybe somebody else has an idea or some experience. I'd appreciate any input at all. If it is too much or doesn't work, my final plan is just to play Ultra Sun instead. Citra is also an option if it comes down to it, but I'd love to use the real thing.

First, I tried editing the title ID of one copy of the game so I can just install it twice. I had some trouble with makerom.exe, but before I could get it to work, I read in another thread that pokemon title IDs are hard coded to the game and changing them will cause the game to crash. Even if it worked, patching only one of the installed games would be tricky as I only know how to do this via Luma's built-in patching tool and that appears to be ID-dependent anyway.

Here is what works (so far), but it is cumbersome and may cause problems down the line. I used 3DS Bank to create a new Nintendo 3DS folder and then installed a new copy of the game. When booting up with this folder selected, I enter the Luma menu and enable game patching. Pokemon Ultra Moon starts up as Prismatic Moon as desired. I can then use 3DS bank to switch back to my original folder, reboot, de-select game patching, and start vanilla Ultra Moon. I haven't played much of either, yet, but both are at least up and running this way.

Here are my questions:

- Will this cause any conflicts that anybody knows of? Like with saves or the Prismatic Moon patch modifying anything that can affect my vanilla copy in the original folder? I think that's all stored in the Nintendo 3DS folder and would be fine, but I am no expert in the workings of the 3DS.

- What potential problems would happen if we ever screwed up and left the patching option on and launched my vanilla copy (or launched Prismatic Moon with game patching disabled)? Would this be how we corrupt saves or unintentionally modify any game files?

- Lastly, is there a better option anybody has to get both games running on one system? Is it possible to pre-patch the game before installing the .cia? I've googled a bit, but the results were disheartening. It at least won't be as easy as using Flips to translate Mother 3, I expect.

Thank you to anybody who has any insight, even if it's just to stick to the 3DS Bank method and hope for the best.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Will this cause any conflicts that anybody knows of? Like with saves or the Prismatic Moon patch modifying anything that can affect my vanilla copy in the original folder? I think that's all stored in the Nintendo 3DS folder and would be fine, but I am no expert in the workings of the 3DS.
Yes that's correct, saves are stored on the 32id folder that's inside "Nintendo 3DS" folder.
You can make regular save backups with Checkpoint from time to time if you really need to (for both of you). There should be no conflicts if you keep switching between those 2 separate Nintendo 3DS folders with 3DSBank.
- What potential problems would happen if we ever screwed up and left the patching option on and launched my vanilla copy (or launched Prismatic Moon with game patching disabled)? Would this be how we corrupt saves or unintentionally modify any game files?
There shouldn't be any problem if you've left game patching on. Now if you were running cheats or hacks, it might show an error when launching the vanilla UM game, but not necessarily. Same for when using Prismatic Moon with game patching off..
- Lastly, is there a better option anybody has to get both games running on one system? Is it possible to pre-patch the game before installing the .cia? I've googled a bit, but the results were disheartening. It at least won't be as easy
Pre-patched or not the title id is fixed and is the same between them, and i don't recommend manually changing the title id for a game.. Your best bet is using one game vanilla like Ultra Sun and let her keep using Prismatic Moon, or vice versa. Because they have different title ids they should work without any switching.

bobkipper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes that's correct, saves are stored on the 32id folder that's inside "Nintendo 3DS" folder.
You can make regular save backups with Checkpoint from time to time if you really need to (for both of you). There should be no conflicts if you keep switching between those 2 separate Nintendo 3DS folders with 3DSBank.

There shouldn't be any problem if you've left game patching on. Now if you were running cheats or hacks, it might show an error when launching the vanilla UM game, but not necessarily. Same for when using Prismatic Moon with game patching off..

Pre-patched or not the title id is fixed and is the same between them, and i don't recommend manually changing the title id for a game.. Your best bet is using one game vanilla like Ultra Sun and let her keep using Prismatic Moon, or vice versa. Because they have different title ids they should work without any switching.
Thank you so much for the reply! This is great info for me or anybody else trying to do this.

Where we ended was patching a rom of UM and installing it to her "profile" using 3DS bank to switch between 3DS folders. I know it's silly to go through all this when Ultra Sun is easily available, but Moon is her personal favorite. Thanks again!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over