Homebrew [Release] NTM - NAND Title Manager for DSi

Ahmeteled

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jordan
Hmm, does it work when played from TWiLight Menu++?
Occasionally...
Bad ROM dump, redumping may fix it
I'm running the xenophobia dump, finished it twice in TWL++ sdNAND.
Some setting is wrong, iirc that game has issues in DSi Mode so make sure it's on default/DS mode. Card Read DMA or 133 MHz (TWL) ARM9 clock may also cause issues
Already set to DS Mode...
SD isn't formatted right, if TWiLight gives an error about not being 32 KB clusters that could be the issue
I'm thankful to God for triple-check-format.
That's all I can think of really...
I am truly sorry for the inconvenience...

Ahmeteled

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jordan
Ok. I've set up GTA Chinatown wars to be perfectly playable via modded sysNAND.
Here's how I did it:
  • Set both VRAM and Mode to DSi Mode.​
  • Turn off Card Read DMA but turn on the Halt Hook thing.​
  • For faster playing, I advice using Last-Run rom version of TWL++.​
That's my advice to anyone facing my problem.
And again, thanks for the company and help. It's highly appreciated.
I wish I can be a coder like y'all. But I am using a 32bit pc and living on budget gaming due to my country not really being a caretaker of PC compatibility and all.

Reactions: Tarmfot and Pk11

Ahmeteled

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jordan
Is anyone here an admin? I'd like to change my name to c00l_hwh1p420
EDIT: I hate being too demanding, I'm truly sorry.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
OP
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I've set up GTA Chinatown wars to be perfectly playable via modded sysNAND.
Here's how I did it:
  • Set both VRAM and Mode to DSi Mode.​
  • Turn off Card Read DMA but turn on the Halt Hook thing.​
  • For faster playing, I advice using Last-Run rom version of TWL++.​
That's my advice to anyone facing my problem.
And again, thanks for the company and help. It's highly appreciated.
I wish I can be a coder like y'all. But I am using a 32bit pc and living on budget gaming due to my country not really being a caretaker of PC compatibility and all.
Huh, that's not the settings I would expect, the SWI halt hook option was even removed in the latest version iirc... But if it works it works, nice that you got it working :D

Is anyone here an admin? I'd like to change my name to c00l_hwh1p420
EDIT: I hate being too demanding, I'm truly sorry.
fyi the proper way to submit a username change request is in account details, I think that will initiate a PM with one of the staff able to change it.

Pin1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Tested quite a bunch on sysnand now and did not run into any problems. It doesn't show system apps though (I have them all twice now after a region change and thought I could remove duplicates with this, but couldn't). Great work anyways, highly appreciated!

Reactions: Pk11

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
OP
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Tested quite a bunch on sysnand now and did not run into any problems. It doesn't show system apps though (I have them all twice now after a region change and thought I could remove duplicates with this, but couldn't). Great work anyways, highly appreciated!
The pre-installed system apps are all intentionally blacklisted since you could cause major problems by removing them. For example if you uninstalled DSi Camera from the original region, didn't have flipnote, and uninstalled Unlaunch at some point for whatever reason that DSi would now be completely un-soft moddable.

Reactions: Pin1988

Pin1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The pre-installed system apps are all intentionally blacklisted since you could cause major problems by removing them. For example if you uninstalled DSi Camera from the original region, didn't have flipnote, and uninstalled Unlaunch at some point for whatever reason that DSi would now be completely un-soft moddable.
I completely understand that :-) maybe add an option with more warnings to disable blacklisting? ;-)
I do fully understand the risk of bricking here. But I also understand if you don't want to add this option because people could ignore warnings and harm their devices. I'm this very case I can neither uninstall the original system apps, nor the additionally installed ones ;-)

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
OP
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
I completely understand that :-) maybe add an option with more warnings to disable blacklisting? ;-)
I do fully understand the risk of bricking here. But I also understand if you don't want to add this option because people could ignore warnings and harm their devices. I'm this very case I can neither uninstall the original system apps, nor the additionally installed ones ;-)
I can maybe try change it to blacklist specifically the titles in the original region I suppose, I will never allow editing the system apps of the original region, even with warnings, as I don't want to make it possible to make a DSi unmoddable.

Can always just move the apps from the original region to the far right of the menu if you don't want to see them.

Pin1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can maybe try change it to blacklist specifically the titles in the original region I suppose, I will never allow editing the system apps of the original region, even with warnings, as I don't want to make it possible to make a DSi unmoddable.

Can always just move the apps from the original region to the far right of the menu if you don't want to see them.
That would be a safe way to broaden the feature range :-)
And as I said, I fully understand your intentions ;-) there's always that dummy that says "i always ignore warnings" :-D

v0.1.2

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
OP
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Version 0.1.2 - Fixed save file generation

Bug Fixes
  • Fixes a bug which caused some save files to be generated incorrectly, preventing the games from loading
    • Dragon Quest Wars is known to be affected, not sure if anything else was
:download: As usual, the download is on GitHub or Universal-DB

I actually fixed this a while ago, but was waiting on a release in case anything else needed fixing, but as it's been like 20 days and I haven't thought of anything else I figured I should probably just make a release already :P

Edit: Oh, I'd kinda forgotten about what was being discussed here previously 😅... I'll try take a look into that soon but I'm still a bit hesitant to add it.

Pin1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Edit: Oh, I'd kinda forgotten about what was being discussed here previously 😅... I'll try take a look into that soon but I'm still a bit hesitant to add it.
If you mean out of region system apps, I've since done a nand restore, so although I would consider that feature handy, I couldn't test it right now...
Thanks for keeping up the work on this, it's done everything as expected for me up until now :-)

Reactions: Ahmeteled and Pk11

jdsteel7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, not currently. It's certainly possible to do if nocash were to add an option to Unlaunch or someone reverse engineered Unlaunch enough to patch it more specifically, currently though the patch is all or nothing.
Hi PK, sorry to bump this old comment, but I'm a little confused by your comment. If I intall hiyaCFW, can't I just add a forwarder for Twilight++ and that way still have access to splash screen and music? I'm not a fan of the Unlaunch interface so I want to boot the system to Hiya (which is supposed to mimic the launcher correct?) and then have the first "app" be my DS slot, the next be Twilight++, and then whatever other forwarders I have. Are you saying this all can't be done while also having music?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
OP
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Hi PK, sorry to bump this old comment, but I'm a little confused by your comment. If I intall hiyaCFW, can't I just add a forwarder for Twilight++ and that way still have access to splash screen and music? I'm not a fan of the Unlaunch interface so I want to boot the system to Hiya (which is supposed to mimic the launcher correct?) and then have the first "app" be my DS slot, the next be Twilight++, and then whatever other forwarders I have. Are you saying this all can't be done while also having music?
That works perfectly fine, what doesn't work is in sysNAND menu. hiyaCFW is SDNAND, SysNAND is not hiya.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
OP
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Man, this is cool. Though, I don't have a DSi unfortunately. Maybe I could try and use this on one of my spare 3DSes and see if anything breaks in the tool.. (With a full NAND backup ready, of course. I may be a jackass but I'm a smart (enough) jackass.)
It'll simply fail to mount NAND on 3DS, I tested that :P

Not sure why exactly since NAND works fine in DSiWare, but the homebrew NAND mount code doesn't work on 3DS for whatever reason. Even if it did work I don't think installing would actually work as the 3DS structures DSiWare slightly differently.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
It'll simply fail to mount NAND on 3DS, I tested that :P

Not sure why exactly since NAND works fine in DSiWare, but the homebrew NAND mount code doesn't work on 3DS for whatever reason. Even if it did work I don't think installing would actually work as the 3DS structures DSiWare slightly differently.
Huh. I wonder why other homebrew tools like GM9 can mount and edit the DSiNAND part of the 3DS's NAND, but DSi Mode homebrew can't.. Weird!
Plus, I'm not even sure how I'd run this on a 3DS without a CIA build. Unless TWLM++ would work.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
OP
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Huh. I wonder why other homebrew tools like GM9 can mount and edit the DSiNAND part of the 3DS's NAND, but DSi Mode homebrew can't.. Weird!
Plus, I'm not even sure how I'd run this on a 3DS without a CIA build. Unless TWLM++ would work.
I haven't looked into it much so not really sure... Might be worth looking at GM9 I suppose, though it's not always very similar so dunno. fwTool 2.0 is also able to dump the 3DS NAND, I think the only DS homebrew to do so, but it's closed source so not much help...

Yeah, it loads from TWiLight or making CIAs of DSi apps is very simple just make_cia --srl="NTM.dsi". (linux and usually windows builds of make_cia can be found in most repos that make CIAs, not actually sure the original source of it, there's also a macOS build in Forwarder3-DS and pkmn-chest's repo)

Edit: Oh, just remembered I think the b9s installer is a TWL mode app and writes to NAND and is open source, so might be worth looking at that. Not so much useful for NTM, but would be nice to have in TWiLight Menu++ so it can dump Download Play and the couple other NAND things it does.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I haven't looked into it much so not really sure... Might be worth looking at GM9 I suppose, though it's not always very similar so dunno. fwTool 2.0 is also able to dump the 3DS NAND, I think the only DS homebrew to do so, but it's closed source so not much help...

Yeah, it loads from TWiLight or making CIAs of DSi apps is very simple just make_cia --srl="NTM.dsi". (linux and usually windows builds of make_cia can be found in most repos that make CIAs, not actually sure the original source of it, there's also a macOS build in Forwarder3-DS and pkmn-chest's repo)

Edit: Oh, just remembered I think the b9s installer is a TWL mode app and writes to NAND and is open source, so might be worth looking at that. Not so much useful for NTM, but would be nice to have in TWiLight Menu++ so it can dump Download Play and the couple other NAND things it does.
Neat!
Anyway, here's what I'm sure is the original source of make_cia:
https://github.com/Tiger21820/ctr_toolkit/tree/master/make_cia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning