ROM Hack [Release] Monster Hunter Stories Save Editor MHSEC-G

tadho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hey guys,

I did some research regarding MHST Android version save data. I found that there are 2 save files, `mhr_game0.sav` and `mhr_game1.sav`. The 0 one is autosave file, while the 1 is the conventional save file (saving the game manually). Each of them has backup file named: `mhr_game0_bk.sav` and the 1 counterpart.

By comparing the save file and backup file, I assume that the 20 bytes of data starting from 0x0C up to 0x1F is a checksum. I've tried hashing the save data with the offset of 0x20, and incrementing the offset in a loop (up to offset = data.length) with SHA-1 and RIPEMD-160 (since they both yield 20 bytes / 160 bits of digest data). Didn't match with the aforementioned 20 bytes checksum.

I actually got 2 phones, one is rooted with a broken screen, but I can still use it thanks to Vysor app. One is Galaxy s8 on nougat, the other one is Galaxy Note 3 on Lineage (oreo). So I tried restoring the save data across 2 phones. But every time I restored the file from one phone to the other, the game just didn't recognize the save data at all. It just prompted to play a new game, all other buttons are disabled. It works just fine if I restore the save file from & to the same phone.

I also found that in-game money offsets are different between save data from both phones. One on 0x9C314 , and the other one is on 0x9C32C. I guess there must be something to do with device Id / Android version / smth else...

I'm pretty sure that you need to root your phone anyways to get the save data. Unless there's a way to copy saved data off of the iCloud / Android Game Cloud (or whatever it's called)

Edit- I get it now. The only way to pull the save from Android, right now, is to have a rooted device running Lucky Patcher and pulling the save from the backup of the app settings. What a pain. My thunder Los will have to wait..

No, you can actually dump your save data using ADB backup, even on an unrooted phone. It's a bit complicated tho, the backup file is in .ab format, which you need to unpack into .tar file. And then you can extract that tar file. Also don't forget to keep the order of the files within to repack it again (because somehow within the Android backup specification, the file order does matter, and it doesn't necessarily follow an alphabetical order). The save files come in `apps/jp.co.capcom.mhsspen/f/` directory.

That hash/MAC is probably some Android specific shit. Still not confirmed if account/device infos are involved calculating it. That's why i asked for 2 identical saves from 2 different devices/accounts.

IKR, I'm pretty sure some kind of 'device info' data is used to calculate the checksum. I think the easiest way (which actually is not that easy either) is to reverse engineer the game file and look for the checksum-function to find out the algorithm. Rather than bruteforcing any random hash algorithms just like what I did. By the way, hit me up if you still need multiple save files, I have couples of them

Android editor wont be happening. Too strong of edit/corruption deterance and not enough info to bypass it. Either learn to RAM edit on your phone or just play legit like everyone else.

It'll happen if someone with sufficient skill on reverse engineering the apps willing to take their hands down on this. I'm quite new to Monster Hunter series, this MHST Android is literally my first Monster Hunter game, and I love it. Put a lot of efforts on doing my research, but yeah.. this is practically a dead end for me. RE is out of my reach :(

Last edited by tadho,

randycoolboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been getting the same errors in the save editor as well. I am on the actual japanese cartridge with version 1.3 I have also tried the english translated 1.3 version cia. The ERRORS are in the monster section. Seems like only the aptonoth can be modified LOL.

Razorsoup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I import the Amiibo eggs, the resulting monsties can't be dismissed in game (which is expected). How does the game store the fact that those monsties are special? I can't find anything in the editor to indicate that they are (or to change to allow them to be dismissed).

Reactions: CuteGamerJenny

DaEdaaaa

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello i love MHS but the gene farming just takes to long. I was so happy after i found this site but my problem is i have no clue on how to get the save file in the right format. I am playing on android.
If somebody knows a easy way on getting it or a really good tutorial, would you mind sending me a message. I am really stuck here and i dont want to spend another month farming just to get 4 good genes.

Thank you in advance.

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello i love MHS but the gene farming just takes to long. I was so happy after i found this site but my problem is i have no clue on how to get the save file in the right format. I am playing on android.
If somebody knows a easy way on getting it or a really good tutorial, would you mind sending me a message. I am really stuck here and i dont want to spend another month farming just to get 4 good genes.

Thank you in advance.
Andriod/IOS saves are not supported. There is some sort of checksum, too, so even manual hex editing doesnt work. Mobile saves are not expected to be supported in the forseeable future.

Reactions: DaEdaaaa

GungnirelicGamer96

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. it should be pretty easy given offsets. Thx for the hard work.
That may be true that stories will never get its update, even with it now on the android here in america. But still I cannot figure out how to exactly set this up. Not to mention no videos on how to set this up either, the hell is up with that.

Razorsoup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. it should be pretty easy given offsets. Thx for the hard work.

Monster attribute is byte AB in the bin file you get from exporting the monster.
I'm pretty sure that 0 = no attribute, 1 = fire, 2 = water, 3 = thunder, 4 = ice. I would assume that 5 = dragon.

Also, I've found that the game accepts names longer than the editor will allow. I'm not sure what the real limit is but if you edit the name in a hex editor you can use longer names for your monsties.

Last edited by Razorsoup,

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Monster attribute is byte AB in the bin file you get from exporting the monster.
I'm pretty sure that 0 = no attribute, 1 = fire, 2 = water, 3 = thunder, 4 = ice. I would assume that 5 = dragon.

Also, I've found that the game accepts names longer than the editor will allow. I'm not sure what the real limit is but if you edit the name in a hex editor you can use longer names for your monsties.
Yes, I've thoroughly explored this already. My findings are on my pull request on the Github. On what you explored: there are actually a few status types past the last element, and name works up to 30 characters (though it makes the name far too long. Shrouded Nerc has the longest default name at 18 characters, so I reccomend keeping custom names to 20 or less)

Razorsoup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...there are actually a few status types past the last element...

Does that mean we could create a monstie that applies a status with it's kinship skill? I can't decide if that's awesome or useless. I was only looking for the attribute to fix some things I had messed up so I didn't bother checking what other attributes there were.

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does that mean we could create a monstie that applies a status with it's kinship skill? I can't decide if that's awesome or useless. I was only looking for the attribute to fix some things I had messed up so I didn't bother checking what other attributes there were.
Ironicly, no. The 'staus elements' act like an element, which would normally draw from an elemental attack strength. That doesnt exist for the 'status elements', thus it does the same damage as a 0 in an elemental attack - making it slightly weaker than non-element. The only way to inflict status form a kinship skill is if the skill already inflicts it (IE: Seregios' bleed) - and no, inflicted staus type isnt changed by changing element to a status.

Reactions: Razorsoup

GungnirelicGamer96

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even so, monster hunter generations has a save editor that saves the data from the sd card. How is it stories have to be so difficult in getting a save back up, and it's been difficult to getting it to work on my homebrew.

Last edited by GungnirelicGamer96,

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even so, monster hunter generations has a save editor that saves the data from the sd card. How is it stories does not, and theres no way I'm not getting it to work on my homebrew.
Generations is a main franchise game. Stories is a spinoff game. JKSM/Checkpoint work for exporting both saves for use in PC editors.

Mobile is unsupported due to checksums/rsa/whatever that we havent been able to break.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
@tadho
For some reason i didn't get an alert. Anyway.
I had a look at the decompiled bytecode and save related shit was heavily obfuscated. The decompiler could not even decompile without errors there. I have no idea how to properly reverse engineer that tbh.

GungnirelicGamer96

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Generations is a main franchise game. Stories is a spinoff game. JKSM/Checkpoint work for exporting both saves for use in PC editors.

Mobile is unsupported due to checksums/rsa/whatever that we havent been able to break.
I tried setting Checkpoint up, but I couldnt figure out how to make the custom firmware to make it work. I have been hacking for awhile, but even I have to learn some new tricks now and then.

jeremytu3710

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got this game cartridge. Can someone walk me through what i need to do to edit my save ? just want some money and items. I look through my SD card cant file any files look like save.

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got this game cartridge. Can someone walk me through what i need to do to edit my save ? just want some money and items. I look through my SD card cant file any files look like save.
you need Homebrew/custom firmware to even have a chance to access your save and on top of that you need Checkpoint/JKSM to export it. All official files on the SD are encrypted, thus you need homebrew to export a non-encrypted file.

Last edited by iSharingan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1