ROM Hack [Release] MHXX Monster Info Overlay Plugin for NTR 3.4

xelrix

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Yes, that's planned for a future update. Currently pretty low priority however.
As for the stuttering, I had suspected that old3DS machines might run into problems.
The plugin does some aggressive memory searching in order to locate the main pointer to the monster structures; however, it's not going to find it until you enter the first quest after a game reboot.
As soon as you do that, it saves the pointer and stops searching, which explains why the stuttering disappears.
A similar effect occurs on the New3DS, except it's just a generic drop in framerate; I implemented a counter-measure to ensure that it runs smoothly on New3DSs, but apparently that wasn't enough for the older hardware.

Try this build, see if it changes anything.

Doesnt seem to change anything. Maaaaybe the stutters interval just increased from every 2 secs to 2.3 secs... maaybe.

But otherwise, everything seems to work as intended.

Reactions: jc28735250

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesnt seem to change anything. Maaaaybe the stutters interval just increased from every 2 secs to 2.3 secs... maaybe.

But otherwise, everything seems to work as intended.

Thanks for testing, that confirms my suspicion.
Unfortunately there isn't much I can do to stop the stuttering, and the only workaround for now is to just go on a quest and retire once you start the game.
It has to do with the main loop in searching memory, and my optimization efforts have already maxed out my knowledge of C.

Jayc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Would be nice if there was a toggle on/off switch. Or a toggle top/bottom screen. And maybe a size indicator like in speedfly's HP display hack /w display.plg.

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would be nice if there was a toggle on/off switch. Or a toggle top/bottom screen. And maybe a size indicator like in speedfly's HP display hack /w display.plg.
All are in the works ;)
While I haven't made new releases I am working on this every day; currently I'm in the investigational phase figuring out where things are in memory. Implementation of features will have to come after I finish finding everything.

scionae

*clicking circles*
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Btw, sometimes the bar bugs itself and goes all the way around the screen, and the small monsters hp bar sometimes flicker. Idk why :/

ShinyDarkrai47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you gonna do anything for captures, from displaying a percentage of HP or even displaying the capture status? Curious because it's kind of hard to add Perception to deviant sets :P

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, sometimes the bar bugs itself and goes all the way around the screen, and the small monsters hp bar sometimes flicker. Idk why :/

The small monster flicker is a known bug that is caused by them having too high of an HP. I'm working on a better way to identify monsters, which will solve this bug once and for all.
As for the bar going all the way I don't know; could you describe how to reproduce?

Are you gonna do anything for captures, from displaying a percentage of HP or even displaying the capture status? Curious because it's kind of hard to add Perception to deviant sets :P

Percentage is definitely doable, but that's planned after I figure out how to add a menu to the plugin to toggle various settings.
My initial attempts have failed, so still working on figuring out that part unfortunately.

scionae

*clicking circles*
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The small monster flicker is a known bug that is caused by them having too high of an HP. I'm working on a better way to identify monsters, which will solve this bug once and for all.
As for the bar going all the way I don't know; could you describe how to reproduce?
The bar just extends till it is off the screen and then it comes back on the other side (extends to the right and return to the left). If this happens again I'll do some screenshots. Oh, and the two bugs always are always happening togheter, hm..

Gurupeco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
The bar just extends till it is off the screen and then it comes back on the other side (extends to the right and return to the left). If this happens again I'll do some screenshots. Oh, and the two bugs always are always happening togheter, hm..
yeah, noticed today when im hunting a seltas queen; the normal seltas bar prolongs to the right

Reactions: scionae

gamew

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Awesome, I'm going to try this when i get home, quick question, do you plan on doing a plugin for MH4U also?

EDIT: Got mine to work with the translation patch, but only after reinstalling it once and/or enabling l2+cache

Last edited by gamew,

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, I'm going to try this when i get home, quick question, do you plan on doing a plugin for MH4U also?

EDIT: Got mine to work with the translation patch, but only after reinstalling it once and/or enabling l2+cache
No, sorry, I'm exclusively working on MHXX right now.

rockraven500

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Taking inspiration from your plugin, I'd like to make my own, tailored to the hunting horn. How would I go about doing this, I've already retrieved the neccessary programs and taken a look at your source code. I personally have no idea how to find the pointers for the information I'm looking for. In the image, you'll find a list of playable songs backed by their remaining time in green (4 note width for all duration + 1px margin on all sides) a single row of pixels for the monster health, and another dedicated to hunting arts. I'd really like to look into this. It would honestly be pretty cool to rewrite the whole hud, but I know I'm digging to deep with that one.

Attachments

• top_0015.png
    top_0015.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 401
Last edited by rockraven500,
Reactions: Gurupeco

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taking inspiration from your plugin, I'd like to make my own, tailored to the hunting horn. How would I go about doing this, I've already retrieved the neccessary programs and taken a look at your source code. I personally have no idea how to find the pointers for the information I'm looking for. In the image, you'll find a list of playable songs backed by their remaining time in green (4 note width for all duration + 1px margin on all sides) a single row of pixels for the monster health, and another dedicated to hunting arts. I'd really like to look into this. It would honestly be pretty cool to rewrite the whole hud, but I know I'm digging to deep with that one.

First of all can you compile a workable version of my plugin using the github source? If you can you're off to a great start.
There are two aspects to what you want to achieve: finding the data and displaying the information.

Finding the data is the tough part. I work with monster data, but what you want to do involves player stats so I don't have experience there. What I have found, though, is that the memory structure didn't change much between MHX and MHXX so maybe you can use data from the previous game as a starting point. The way I do investigations into memory is generate memory dumps that can be analyzed PC side. There are multiple ways to do this, but I most frequently make use of two: Nanquitas's memory dump plugin and NTRViewer by imthe666st. NTRViewer is nice in that it dumps over wifi so you don't have to save anything on the SD card, but for me at least it always crashes the game whenever a loading screen is encountered (getting in/out of quests, changing maps...etc) so it's quite encumbered. The memory dump plugin, on the other hand, doesn't have this problem. It does, however, stop working altogether after 13 dumps, not sure why. From then on it's just a continuous effort dumping memory and making comparisons on the byte level.

As for displaying the data it's not that difficult, although there are no tutorials on how to use the libraries so you'd have to just look at other people's code to see how everything works. To that end I'm no expert either, and I'm dealing with my own frustrations and head-banging. There are certainly others, but I find dragonfyre173's PokeViewNTR to be quite useful.

Reactions: xelrix

boncabe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I can't get this to work on my 3ds. I'm using o3ds with latest luma and latest bootntr selector mode 3.
The game is .cia version with v1.1 update patched to english v2.1.
When I start the game up, the menu came out fine, but the monster hp bar is nowhere to be found. If I run the search for monster list on quest, it always says FAILED. Please help.

Edit: I could run other cheats like speedfly's, but I didn't have it on my sdcard when I'm testing this one.

Last edited by boncabe,

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get this to work on my 3ds. I'm using o3ds with latest luma and latest bootntr selector mode 3.
The game is .cia version with v1.1 update patched to english v2.1.
When I start the game up, the menu came out fine, but the monster hp bar is nowhere to be found. If I run the search for monster list on quest, it always says FAILED. Please help.

Edit: I could run other cheats like speedfly's, but I didn't have it on my sdcard when I'm testing this one.

What region is your machine?
Also, would you be willing to provide a ram dump for me to analyze?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Hn-gx9VjRt8?t=153