Homebrew [Release] Linux for the 3DS

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I did. I just wanted to emphasize the fact that there are things it won't run that I would on a x86 Ubuntu system, and therefore it isn't the same thing.
Except if you knew a thing about what you're talking about, you'd know that it is the same thing. CPU arch and OS aren't the same thing. It's the same code and OS running on both archs. The difference is the language the code is complied into is different. It's IS the same OS and same code though.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Except if you knew a thing about what you're talking about, you'd know that it is the same thing. CPU arch and OS aren't the same thing. It's the same code and OS running on both archs. The difference is the language the code is complied into is different. It's IS the same OS and same code though.
You don't seem to understand what I mean and what my point is.

Sent from my cave of despair where I collect souls

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't seem to understand what I mean and what my point is.

Sent from my cave of despair where I collect souls
You don't have a point. It's the same code doing the same thing on both archs.

Here's how they differ:

For example if you would need some sort of bytewise memory comparison block in your application (generated by compiler, skipping details), this is how it might look like on x86

repe cmpsb /* repeat while equal compare string bytewise */

while on ARM shortest form might look like (without error checking etc.)

top:
ldrb r2, [r0, #1]! /* load a byte from address in r0 into r2, increment r0 after */
ldrb r3, [r1, #1]! /* load a byte from address in r1 into r3, increment r1 after */
subs r2, r3, r2 /* subtract r2 from r3 and put result into r2 */
beq top /* branch(/jump) if result is zero */

which should give you a hint on how RISC and CISC instruction sets differ in complexity.

pcs3rd

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
hi! I'm really new to this kind of things so I'm kinda stuck in the installation process. Where is exactly the payloads folder? I'm using hombrew. Sorry if my question is too dumb haha.
there's a problem there. Linux loader is a a9lh payload, a9lh payloads will not work with hbl.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
there's a problem there. Linux loader is a a9lh payload, a9lh payloads will not work with hbl.
It's not really an A9LH payload, it's an ARM9 payload that doesn't necessarily need A9LH to be launched, I suppose any ARM9 kexploit can launch it, but the most commonly used one is A9LH indeed. Still, your point stands, a user with just HBL access (possibly on a firmware without a kexploit) cannot use it.

pcs3rd

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not really an A9LH payload, it's an ARM9 payload that doesn't necessarily need A9LH to be launched, I suppose any ARM9 kexploit can launch it, but the most commonly used one is A9LH indeed. Still, your point stands, a user with just HBL access (possibly on a firmware without a kexploit) cannot use it.
because hbl is only in user and, nothing else. the only thing is that I still don't know how the exacutable is called after crashing the home screen
also, could you get a chmm2 via. mine broke and I cannot download it on the network I am using

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
because hbl is only in user and, nothing else. the only thing is that I still don't know how the exacutable is called after crashing the home screen
also, could you get a chmm2 via. mine broke and I cannot download it on the network I am using
Wut? You want a CHMM2 CIA? You can get that through TitleDB, can't you? I don't think anyone blocks rinnegatamante.it either, you can check the official website, right?

Kitsune_Obsessed_Freak

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey this looks fun, going to try my hand at compiling a working version that uses a modified version of Canonical's Ubuntu Linux kernel... dm me if you want to help! I will definitely need it!
Hey, just wondering if your still need any help. I couldn't find the direct message button after a few minutes looking for it, so i decided to just reply here. Totally message me if you need a beta tester, and helper, because I've got a few friends plus myself who would love to help with your program. A couple of them, (plus myself) fix computers for a hobby, and some phones as well. Heck I even did 3ds that have internal damage to the screens, battery or even joysticks/buttons.

Last edited by Kitsune_Obsessed_Freak,

technomooney

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, the X server must die.
why is that? i mean i want to see a gui.... or make it so i can download things onto the sdcard (eventually) using a semi modern browser... (i dont want to have to be limited to a terminal based interface and use links.... at least not for ever.)

Last edited by technomooney,

xerpi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
why is that? i mean i want to see a gui.... or make it so i can download things onto the sdcard (eventually) using a semi modern browser... (i dont want to have to be limited to a terminal based interface and use links.... at least not for ever.)
the X server isn't the only way to have GUIs on Linux, we also have Wayland. Also, with the initramfs comes Weston (a Wayland compositor).

pcs3rd

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Wut? You want a CHMM2 CIA? You can get that through TitleDB, can't you? I don't think anyone blocks rinnegatamante.it either, you can check the official website, right?
nm, I redid my install and it recovered

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the X server isn't the only way to have GUIs on Linux, we also have Wayland. Also, with the initramfs comes Weston (a Wayland compositor).
@xerpi, could you please give me an idea of what the directory tree of the sdcard should look like on an o3ds. I can't get it to run, and have you seen my future recommendations? such as creating a dir that could be used to store extra pkgs and files outside of the .IMG that could be mounted as r/w instead of r/o. Also, may I ask why you aren't using x?

xerpi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
nm, I redid my install and it recovered

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@xerpi, could you please give me an idea of what the directory tree of the sdcard should look like on an o3ds. I can't get it to run, and have you seen my future recommendations? such as creating a dir that could be used to store extra pkgs and files outside of the .IMG that could be mounted as r/w instead of r/o. Also, may I ask why you aren't using x?
The SD card is readonly and "useless" at the moment, the initramfs is bundled within the zImage.
I don't use X because it's very old and not a good idea for machines with low performance. Wayland is the successor of X, it's much more lightweight and a perfect fit for the 3DS.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

pcs3rd

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
The SD card is readonly and "useless" at the moment, the initramfs is bundled within the zImage.
I don't use X because it's very old and not a good idea for machines with low performance. Wayland is the successor of X, it's much more lightweight and a perfect fit for the 3DS.
ok. but, i run linux deploy with full lxde armhf debian on about 756 bytes. how much ram does a 3ds have? and could you make it into a cia, where everything is booted after the firmware loads, possibly giving access to the sdcard. kinda like cia format file explorers. also, I need help getting this to run on o3ds. What should the sdcard's dir tree look like? and what is resource usage on x for a 3ds?

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wat? I mostly use my install for servers, openarena, doomsday, and a many few other thingsglx gears? wats that

glxgears. It's not a benchmark program but I use it as a benchmark to see if it's hardware accelerated properly or not. I'm interested in the speed of the gears and if they are shaded properly. www.x.org/pub/X11R6.8.1/doc/glxgears.1.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: I'm not doing ok, everywhere I go I see sex