Homebrew app Project 3DS-EAS - Development Progress Page

TripleLLLGaming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, this page is gonna be used for the development progress of my latest app, 3ds-eas! when a released build is made, it'll be posted here :3

stay tuned!!! >_<

https://github.com/TripleLLL9/3DS-EAS

(this project is currently on hold until i get some basic c stuff down, and just so you know, the current commit to the source code doesn't compile at the moment)

Last edited by TripleLLLGaming,

TripleLLLGaming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you give us a little more info, like what it is or does?
oh, forgot to mention that lol, basically it's a wip 3ds app that uses the national weather service api to fetch alerts for a given state, you can check out the source code on github: https://github.com/TripleLLL9/3DS-EAS
Post automatically merged:

anyways, development's been going GREAT so far /j
https://ibb.co/wyqDN7V
Post automatically merged:

alright, so it doesn't crash the entire console when you press A now, it just shows garbled text for a second and then says "please enter a valid state abbreviation", which is the error for when your entered text is not in the state codes list. -_-

if anyone wants to look and see what the hell's going on, you can look at the github code i just pushed my latest changes to it ^_^

Last edited by TripleLLLGaming,
Reactions: BigOnYa

JK_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so you're aware, that API you're trying to fetch data from responds with a potentially massive JSON file. You're going to have to parse it with json-c or something afterwards and get creative with how to display it given how small and low res the 3DS's screen is. Alaska, for example, prints so much that it just keeps flying by for 5 seconds or so.

Attachments

• _31.12.23_20.11.06.262.png
    _31.12.23_20.11.06.262.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 19
  • _31.12.23_20.11.24.621.png
    _31.12.23_20.11.24.621.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: KiiWii

TripleLLLGaming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so you're aware, that API you're trying to fetch data from responds with a potentially massive JSON file. You're going to have to parse it with json-c or something afterwards and get creative with how to display it given how small and low res the 3DS's screen is. Alaska, for example, prints so much that it just keeps flying by for 5 seconds or so.
yeah i knew that, but i was gonna start without parsing the json to make sure my code even worked, and then i was planning to parse it after

also, what did you to the code when you compiled it to make it actually work, i must know ;-;

TripleLLLGaming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright, so i initialized the socket functions to see if that would help the current problem i'm having, which is whenever i attempt to make a request, even to a different url, which is "api.weather.gov" instead of "api.weather.gov/alerts/active". even then, curl still always returns with error code 6. i really can't figure out why it can't resolve the host name. the url's correct, i used curl's functions correctly, i have an internet connection on citra AND my laptop, so right now i'm just confused as heck.

if anyone knows a solution, make a pull request on the github page listed above ^_^

JK_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also, what did you to the code when you compiled it to make it actually work, i must know ;-;
First of all, you have functions defined in your main loop (write_callback and isInList). I took those out of there and put them before the main function. I did the same with state_codes. My IDE told me there were 59 in the array, so I added #define state_count 59 too. I then rewrote isInList to actually work.

After that, I removed the software keyboard code from the main loop and made it its own function. I know I added and changed some things, but can't remember what exactly.

Then, I added the socInit code so curl would work. You need to set a curl option to not verify peer IIRC. You also need to add a user agent.

I can't remember all of the rest, but just at a glance, I can tell you I changed a lot. So, I came to the conclusion you're just beginning to learn C and me basically rewriting it for you and pull requesting it wasn't going to help you learn what is wrong and why it's not working. I'd suggest following some tutorials and maybe working on something smaller instead, because even this seems like it might be a bit much for you in C.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, you have functions defined in your main loop (write_callback and isInList). I took those out of there and put them before the main function. I did the same with state_codes. My IDE told me there were 59 in the array, so I added #define state_count 59 too. I then rewrote isInList to actually work.

After that, I removed the software keyboard code from the main loop and made it its own function. I know I added and changed some things, but can't remember what exactly.

Then, I added the socInit code so curl would work. You need to set a curl option to not verify peer IIRC. You also need to add a user agent.

I can't remember all of the rest, but just at a glance, I can tell you I changed a lot. So, I came to the conclusion you're just beginning to learn C and me basically rewriting it for you and pull requesting it wasn't going to help you learn what is wrong and why it's not working. I'd suggest following some tutorials and maybe working on something smaller instead, because even this seems like it might be a bit much for you in C.
Honestly I’m surprised he got this far if he’s trying to learn C

I’ve been wanting to learn C as well and jumping into a homebrew project on any console seems to be one of the hardest ways to do so with the arguably worse documentation and resources to learn being spread out much much thinner

Not a complaint by any means, just a long winded way of saying OP is impressing me

TripleLLLGaming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i already added a user agent in the latest commit lol

but yeah, i'm gonna have to do way more learning of c, the way i've been doing it is just studying the examples from the 3ds-example repo, and reading documentations of certain libraries, and as you can see, i haven't gotten that far with it in terms of making a functional app ;-;

in the meantime, im gonna make more simpler stuff with devKitPro, and just c in general
imma come back to this when i get something working and when i learn beginner c stuff, i set extremely high expectations for me tbh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto