Homebrew [Release] Homebrew Launcher with grid layout

Lycan911

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've had an idea about what might be causing the problem with saving themes. This post is partly me working through the logic of the problem, so bear with me ;)

In config.c, setConfigString(char* key, char* value, int configType) stores a config value (for example the name of the currently selected theme) in the config values array at the same index as the key in the keys array. So, for example, (configData)mainData.keys[0] = "currentTheme" and (configData)mainData.values[0] = "My great theme". The setConfigString() function loops through the existing entries in the config keys array and searches for the key which is going to be stored. If it is found, then the existing value is overwritten with the new value. If the key isn't found, then the key and value are both added to the end of the values and keys arrays. This should ensure there are no duplicate entries for any key.

When the config is going to be saved, saveConfigWithType(int configType) is called. This takes the config data specified by configType (either the main config or the theme config), converts it to a long string suitable for saving to the .cfg file, and then writes the file.

So I believe the problem could be in one of a number of areas, which can hopefully be diagnosed by examining hbl.cfg immediately after the problem has occurred of the previously selected theme not being the one which is actually loaded. Here are the possible causes and their probable evidence in hbl.cfg:
  • Establishing the value to be stored in the config (i.e. the name of the theme). This would result in a value in the currentTheme setting which does not match any of the themes on the device (e.g. a garbage or truncated value)
  • Checking whether the currentTheme key already exists in the themeData.keys array. This would result in a duplicate entry for the key (i.e. two settings in one hbl.cfg both for currentTheme). In this case only the first would be acknowledged, so the new setting would be ignored.
  • Overwriting the existing entry. This would result in the value not changing, so the previously selected theme would still show as current.
  • Saving the data. Again, this would likely result in the previous theme showing up.

Here's what would be helpful in diagnosing the problem:
  1. Set the theme to the one which does not seem to save
  2. Back out of the settings back to the main grid to make the settings save
  3. Launch any app
  4. Exit back to the launcher and confirm that the theme selected in step one is NOT showing up
  5. Quit the launcher without entering settings to make sure hbl.cfg does not get overwritten
  6. Upload hbl.cfg here so I can see what it contains

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Are you talking about your custom theme on the home menu?
Home menu, I included the pic to my previous post.

Edit: Might as well state that I have a 10.2 o3DS with Ironhax.

Last edited by Lycan911,

Lycan911

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm, maybe a 10.2 thing? I don't have a device running that version to test with. Could you try it with the original launcher and/or suloku's launcher and see if it does the same thing?
The original launcher can't run system apps (which nintendo zone is) as far as I know, and what is this "suloku's launcher"? Haven't heard of it.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
@JJTapia19
Are you still having this problem? I've tested with the same theme names you told me and it seems to be working for me. As I said I did have this problem at one point but never got to the bottom of it. It stopped happening for me so I assumed it was a bug which got fixed when I migrated from the old button list theme selector to the grid theme selector. But if you're still having this problem we need to try to work out what the pattern is so I can reproduce it and fix it :)
Sorry for the late reply. All the themes are getting saved now but I'm still having the same problem with some folders current location not getting saved after opening a app from that folder.
Here's what would be helpful in diagnosing the problem:
  1. Set the theme to the one which does not seem to save
  2. Back out of the settings back to the main grid to make the settings save
  3. Launch any app
  4. Exit back to the launcher and confirm that the theme selected in step one is NOT showing up
  5. Quit the launcher without entering settings to make sure hbl.cfg does not get overwritten
  6. Upload hbl.cfg here so I can see what it contains
I'll try to follow this instrucctions but with my current folder problem.

1. I entered my "Favourites" folder which is the one that's not being saved on current location.
2. & 3. I Launch an app inside of that folder so it's supposed to saved the current location.
4. I exit the app and I'm back to the last folder that was properly saved on the current folder location which was called "Icon pack 3"
5. I quit the launcher by rebooting to make sure hbl.cfg does not get's overwritten.
6. I'll leave the hbl config attached.

Attachments

• hbl.rar
    256 bytes · Views: 98

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Would it be possible to have a "Favorites" sección wich could handle home menú apps as well as hombres? I mean, I have a bunch of apps for testing purposes, but also a few fixed home menú games as well as homebrew emulators and games that I use daily. I would love to have them un a separate sección.

Last edited by Osakasan,
Reactions: MannCo

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry for the late reply. All the themes are getting saved now but I'm still having the same problem with some folders current location not getting saved after opening a app from that folder.

I'll try to follow this instrucctions but with my current folder problem.

1. I entered my "Favourites" folder which is the one that's not being saved on current location.
2. & 3. I Launch an app inside of that folder so it's supposed to saved the current location.
4. I exit the app and I'm back to the last folder that was properly saved on the current folder location which was called "Icon pack 3"
5. I quit the launcher by rebooting to make sure hbl.cfg does not get's overwritten.
6. I'll leave the hbl config attached.
Thanks mate. It's weird how the folder setting in hbl.cfg doesn't seem to be changing. I'm going to create two folders with the same names and see if I can replicate the problem.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Would it be possible to have a "Favorites" sección wich could handle home menú apps as well as hombres? I mean, I have a bunch of apps for testing purposes, but also a few fixed home menú games as well as homebrew emulators and games that I use daily. I would love to have them un a separate sección.
Hmm, yes this might be possible. I'll have a think about how I could do this in a future update.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Thanks mate. It's weird how the folder setting in hbl.cfg doesn't seem to be changing. I'm going to create two folders with the same names and see if I can replicate the problem.
Yeah it's weird because it used to work and when I used to get werid problems after updating deleting the hbl.cfg used to fix everything up for me but this time I keep having trouble. :sad: I just tryed deleting the hbl.cfg file, I went to settings and enable my settings,selected my theme and opened an app from my favourites folder and when I exited the app nothing got saved. Everything was set to default again.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah it's weird because it used to work and when I used to get werid problems after updating deleting the hbl.cfg used to fix everything up for me but this time I keep having trouble. :sad: I just tryed deleting the hbl.cfg file, I went to settings and enable my settings,selected my theme and opened an app from my favourites folder and when I exited the app nothing got saved. Everything was set to default again.
Can you try it with a different theme selected? Just wondering whether the name of the theme is somehow interfering with the saving of other options.

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Can you try it with a different theme selected? Just wondering whether the name of the theme is somehow interfering with the saving of other options.
Yes this time selecting a different theme it saved everything! even the current folder location. It seems to be a problem with a theme named "MM Theme"

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes this time selecting a different theme it saved everything! even the current folder location. It seems to be a problem with a theme named "MM Theme"
Ok, sorry to be a nuisance but can you now switch back to MM Theme and see if the problem reoccurs? I just want to make sure we have a consistent understanding of the problem before I start investigating.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • NinStar
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, which one of your brothers?