Homebrew [Release] Homebrew Launcher with grid layout

bunny365

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK guys, I think now is the right time to release the source for this. I've just set up Github Desktop and I think I've done it right. Could somebody please let me know if the following is the right way to fork the original source:

https://github.com/mashers/3ds_hb_menu/tree/browser
Yeah. That's the right way to do it. If I may make a request, this mod could use a LOT of optimization, as I can only ever run a single HB app before my 3DS crashes. I've ended up having to switch back to smealum's HB launcher because of that.

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mashers can you make it so it is optional to use the dpad to get to the corner icons? I personally really dislike it :( But good new update!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@mashers can you also try to get functional 3d on the top screen. That would be sick af!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@mashers one more suggestion. You should give the folders a icon and place them like the apps and settings. Instead of that ugly rounded rectangle

bunny365

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can you also try to get functional 3d on the top screen. That would be sick af!
If I may make a request, this mod could use a LOT of optimization, as I can only ever run a single HB app before my 3DS crashes. I've ended up having to switch back to smealum's HB launcher because of that.
If anything, I think some features need to start being REMOVED... :/
EDIT: Maybe there should be a second version of this mod distributed with less features, like without the title launcher, themes, and folders.

Last edited by bunny365,

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
OK guys, I think now is the right time to release the source for this. I've just set up Github Desktop and I think I've done it right. Could somebody please let me know if the following is the right way to fork the original source:

https://github.com/mashers/3ds_hb_menu/tree/browser
Yup, that's the right way
When you want it to be merged, create a pull request and smea will see it

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
@mashers you know what would be cool, also allowing metadata to be stored for the apps as .xml/.json this would allow you to add custom fields (such as screenshots, accent colours, etc) without breaking complitablity with other launchers which rely on the smdh format.

The file could look something like:
Code:
{
  name: "DownloadMii",
  author: "filfat Studios AB",
  href: "https://www.downloadmii.com",
  version: "2.0",
  accent: "#55ff55",
  screenshots: [
    "storefront.png", "appdetails.png",
  ],
}

That would make the launcher a lot more extensible in the future!

Cheerious :D

Last edited by filfat,
Reactions: BurningDesire

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Sweden

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
Yay, source code. I'll mess with it if I get time, I want to finish other things first and well, its time I get serius with other matters...
BTW, I've seen you still haven't removed the svdt title id "passing" code. It is not needed anymore.
EDIT: Maybe there should be a second version of this mod distributed with less features, like without the title launcher, themes, and folders.
Ninjhax 2.5 will probably solve all of these problems.

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Sweden
I see you're quite fond of this project. Will you be adding stuff on your own time?
Maybe, maybe not; I'm really struggeling to keep myself focused at work and not on homebrew right now. I have already started working on 3ds.js (Javascript app framework) and started planning DownloadMii 2.0 which will be more cydia like and also be hosted on github pages so it's not dependent on me ;)

Anyhow, back to Playstr ;)

Reactions: Garcia98

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe, maybe not; I'm really struggeling to keep myself focused at work and not on homebrew right now. I have already started working on 3ds.js (Javascript app framework) and started planning DownloadMii 2.0 which will be more cydia like and also be hosted on github pages so it's not dependent on me ;)

Anyhow, back to Playstr ;)
I have a cydia icon you can use made by @link6155 I would love to help. I've been dying to make a cydia app for 3ds. I'm also pretty damn good at interfaces.

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Sweden
I have a cydia icon you can use made by @link6155 I would love to help. I've been dying to make a cydia app for 3ds. I'm also pretty damn good at interfaces.

I'm still looking to keep the original branding, but fire me a PM if you're interested (there's a lot of work) :)
(by a lot of work I mean: 3ds.js, 3DS_UI, DownloadMii-Core and then lastly DownloadMii)

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah. That's the right way to do it. If I may make a request, this mod could use a LOT of optimization, as I can only ever run a single HB app before my 3DS crashes. I've ended up having to switch back to smealum's HB launcher because of that.
Of course, optimisation will be an ongoing process. The features I have added are rock solid on my 3DS, but everybody's device is different. That's why now is the right time to release the source as all the main features are there so those who are having issues can help by debugging the issues from source on their hardware.

@mashers can you make it so it is optional to use the dpad to get to the corner icons? I personally really dislike it :( But good new update!
I don't see why this would be a required option. If you don't want to use the d-pad for the corner icons then don't use it. Just use the touch screen as normal.

can you also try to get functional 3d on the top screen. That would be sick af!
Maybe one day if nobody else does it first.

one more suggestion. You should give the folders a icon and place them like the apps and settings. Instead of that ugly rounded rectangle
Yeah I want to get rid of all the rounded rectangles eventually and replace them with grids. The problem is where to put the text.

All of the new features can be disabled in the settings. If you're having stability issues, try disabling the title preload, panels, water etc.

One more thing, can you go into the settings and enable "issues" ;)
In GitHub?
@mashers you know what would be cool, also allowing metadata to be stored for the apps as .xml/.json this would allow you to add custom fields (such as screenshots, accent colours, etc) without breaking complitablity with other launchers which rely on the smdh format.

The file could look something like:
Code:
{
  name: "DownloadMii",
  author: "filfat Studios AB",
  href: "https://www.downloadmii.com",
  version: "2.0",
  accent: "#55ff55",
  screenshots: [
    "storefront.png", "appdetails.png",
  ],
}

That would make the launcher a lot more extensible in the future!

Cheerious :D
Nice idea. I considered something like it when thinking about how to enlarge the icon on the top screen.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@mashers do we need text for the folders? What if you click on one it takes you to the screen with the apps then on that screen it says folder: blahaahaha
You absolutely need the text for the folders. Without text, you'll have to keep tapping on the folders to find the one you want before opening it.

Edit - custom icons could work. I can imagine a nice menu of icons with a game pad for games, a cog for tools etc etc. The problem would be if the user wants to add a folder and doesn't want to or can't find a suitable icon. It would add a lot requirements on the user to configure the launcher with the custom icons when actually just displaying the folder name as text works better.

Last edited by mashers,

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Sweden
Of course, optimisation will be an ongoing process. The features I have added are rock solid on my 3DS, but everybody's device is different. That's why now is the right time to release the source as all the main features are there so those who are having issues can help by debugging the issues from source on their hardware.

I don't see why this would be a required option. If you don't want to use the d-pad for the corner icons then don't use it. Just use the touch screen as normal.

Maybe one day if nobody else does it first.

Yeah I want to get rid of all the rounded rectangles eventually and replace them with grids. The problem is where to put the text.

All of the new features can be disabled in the settings. If you're having stability issues, try disabling the title preload, panels, water etc.

In GitHub?

Nice idea. I considered something like it when thinking about how to enlarge the icon on the top screen.
Yes on Github :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I wonder how much damage it did to crts VS flat screens