[Release] FBI Companion - CIA network installation for iOS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by CompC, Mar 18, 2016.

1. CompC
    OP

CompC GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2009
    United States
    [​IMG]

FBI Companion will let you send CIA files stored locally to FBI via the network install feature. You can open files from Safari, Mail, or any other app that supports opening files in other apps to install a CIA file. You can also use iTunes to save a CIA file from your computer to FBI Companion to install later, or copy CIAs already saved in FBI Companion.

Your iPhone and 3DS must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. You can also use your phone as a hotspot and send CIAs that way.

This is still a work in progress! Currently the app crashes when opened on iPad, and crashes if the connection is lost while installing a CIA. There are probably other issues too. Let me know about any bugs you encounter! I plan on making this better as I learn more about Objective-C and programming for iOS. :) It might not be as snazzy as SocketPunch, but for my first iOS app, I like how it turned out!

Google's J2ObjC was used to translate Java code to Objective-C for parts of this app, and the app uses MBProgressHUD to give progress notifications about the file transfer.

Download
    • Currently, to install, you need to have a jailbroken iPhone, with AppSync installed, and a way to install IPA files. There will be other methods of installation in the future. The source code will also be released later.

2. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Any chance of an android release?

Games&Stuff likes this.
  3. Just Passing By

Just Passing By GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Pretty interesting. I personally have an Android, but this is a nice little tool. I like the UI. It looks clean. Good job!

4. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    What minimum vers of iOS is Required for this? might give lil more use to my iPhone4 if its atleast 7.xx

5. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    Last edited by Olmectron, Mar 18, 2016
    A_Random_Guy likes this.
  6. CompC
    OP

CompC GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2009
    United States
    I think it's set to iOS 8 as a minimum right now, but it should be fine on iOS 7. I'll upload a new version in a bit that can run on iOS 7.

7. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    Much appreciated :D i mainly got it as it was just a bit cheaper and was ironicly at the time easier getting than a Hardware token for FFXI/FFXIV [the Software Token App on it ] (it went to 20$ +Shipping but they were out of stock for an undetermined time so yea. )

8. Minnow

Minnow GBAtemp Fan

Oct 5, 2015
    Canada
    Oh wow. What a suprise! thanks

9. jackb994

jackb994 Self-Proclaimed Gamer

Oct 29, 2015
    Just installed on my iPhone 5 seems to be working, also will you in the end put this on cydia

Last edited by jackb994, Mar 18, 2016
  10. Jack54782

Jack54782 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United Kingdom
    A9LH CRUSADE
    this looks sweet, but i have an android so i can't use it but I would love to

11. KaduPSE

KaduPSE Revolution and cake

Dec 26, 2015
    Brazil
    That's amazing, thanks for your release.

12. CompC
    OP

CompC GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2009
    United States
    Yes, my end goal is to get it on Cydia. I couldn't figure out how to get this in a form that would install via Cydia, but I'll keep trying.

Be on the lookout for errors! If something isn't working correctly, please let me know and try to remember what situation you were in (eg., you just opened the app… the app was opened by opening a CIA from another app… the app was already open and you were switching back to it…)

13. jackb994

Oct 29, 2015
    I'm also guessing you could code sign it and install it through xcode

14. Xenosaiga

Xenosaiga That one guy that doesn't give a shit anymore

Oct 9, 2015
    United States
    The Shadows
    @CompC Just tested this out.
    Jail broken iPhone 5s on 8.4.
    Downloaded with mega app.
    Browsed for and installed right on the phone with Filza.
    Installed Zombie panic in Wonderland by launching with iFile.
    Took approximately 20 minutes to install the 154mb file.
    Works great albeit a little slow....

It's a nice app but not practical in 'my' situation as I have a home computer, but will be very welcome for iPhone owners that for some reason do not have a home computer. Great work!

15. Temarile

Temarile (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)

Jan 7, 2016
    Netherlands
    I'd like to use this but I'm not gonna jailbreak my new iPhone unfortunately. Great development though!

16. CompC
    OP

CompC GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2009
    United States
    Right, but how do I install it? For Cydia I need to get a .deb file. To make a .deb, I need to know where to install the app. When I put the .app file generated by Xcode straight into the Applications folder, it doesn't appear on the home screen. It installs correctly from a .ipa, though.

Sending CIAs over the network from desktop is slow too. I find this most useful for small games, homebrew, and Virtual Console.

17. jackb994

Oct 29, 2015
    I've just tested it on my iPad Mini unjailbroken installed with ipastore and it installed successfully on the 3ds without the app crashing

18. CompC
    OP

CompC GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2009
    United States
    That's great! The app crashes when I install it on my iPad, for some reason, both from Xcode, and from installing the IPA. Huh. I'll have to try it some more. Thanks!

jackb994 likes this.
  19. jackb994

Oct 29, 2015
    Did you refresh uicache after you put it in the applications folder

20. CompC
    OP

CompC GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2009
    United States
    ... No I did not. I didn't know that was something I had to do. I'll try it.