Hacking Official [Release] CakesFW

Mistie

Legit Furry Trash
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
3DS can't perform decrypting operations (yet) in an A9LH environment.
You have to create the firmkey.bin on a device which is not running A9LH or boot into it somehow else.
Can you explain how to do this? I can easily boot into a 9.2 emuNAND as I do have a backup laying around.

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah I think I know what happened. I made a suggestion to change the text for the FIRM partition block option which bilis pushed as a forced commit, that way the commit count doesn't go up, but the build bot already made a 137 build at that stage.

So he probably made another change (139) but merged them into commit 137? So the changes for commit 138 and 139 are now in 137 so they don't raise the commit count up for small changes.

@mid-kid does that make sense? Can you confirm this?

The build bot merged the commit before the force push (137) + the commit after the force push (138) + a merging commit (git does this sometimes to be able to merge things correctly) (139).
I corrected this manually and removed 139, and rebuilt 137. Check the build dates on the nightlies site.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh! I had one laying around in an SD Card backup. Used that and it worked! YEAH! :D CakesFW is now working for me on 10.6 sysnand a9lh

CakesFW indeed can't decrypt CETK from a9lh as of now, you should get a firmkey.bin from somewhere else.
Added to the FAQ.

Reactions: Mistie and peteruk

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What is need to allow Cakes to decrypt CETK from a9lh? Bootrom dump and keys?

A decrypted NATIVE_FIRM loaded into memory. The easiest way we can get that at that point without requiring the firmkey to decrypt the one on the SD card is by decrypting the one in the FIRM0 partition, which requires another key, but that one's already loaded since the bootrom uses it to decrypt our arm9loaderhax payload in the first place. Might look into it, though it isn't such a pressing matter.

GBHAKC75

Trophies
XP
Country
France
A decrypted NATIVE_FIRM loaded into memory. The easiest way we can get that at that point without requiring the firmkey to decrypt the one on the SD card is by decrypting the one in the FIRM0 partition, which requires another key, but that one's already loaded since the bootrom uses it to decrypt our arm9loaderhax payload in the first place. Might look into it, though it isn't such a pressing matter.

That would also allow XORPad generation on Decrypt9 using the same process, right ?
Could be an interresting feature...

Thiocyanate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've updated everything to the new Cakes, but now Cakes isn't registering any patches when I open up the patches menu. All the folders are there in the proper place, so what's going on?

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That would also allow XORPad generation on Decrypt9 using the same process, right ?
Could be an interresting feature...

Wait, nevermind. What I said only grants us keyY, but I'm not sure if keyX is initialized already or not.
Also, for xorpad generation you'd need yet another key, and I have no idea how you go about getting that one. d0k3 is better versed in this topic than I am, you should ask him.

Last edited by mid-kid,

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've updated everything to the new Cakes, but now Cakes isn't registering any patches when I open up the patches menu. All the folders are there in the proper place, so what's going on?

Make sure the files are there and correct, extract the release again if necessary.
Please specify which cakes release and if possible the firmware version.

GBHAKC75

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wait, nevermind. What I said only grants us keyY, but I'm not sure if keyX is initialized already or not.
Also, for xorpad generation you'd need yet another key, and I have no idea how you go about getting that one. d0k3 is better versed in this topic than I am, you should ask him.

That was just curiosity. To be honest I don't see why people always want this feature on A9LH, as we can boot easily on 9.2 emu/sysNAND. Sys/EmuNAND backup/restoration feature was the most important and it's done :)

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
In the "Select Paches" there's a "Block FIRM partition updates", Is there for avoiding updates to write in the FIRM0/1 partitions like AuReiNand?

A_Random_Guy

Officially That Dev
Trophies
Website
n3dshack.weebly.com
XP
Country
Malaysia
Getting this error while compiling Cakes

arm-none-eabi-gcc -MMD -MP -marm -mlittle-endian -mcpu=arm946e-s -march=armv5te -fno-builtin -fshort-wchar -Wall -Wextra -O2 -std=c11 -Wno-main -DCAKES_VERSION=\"137\"
-c -o build/fatfs/sdmmc/sdmmc.o source/fatfs/sdmmc/sdmmc.c
In file included from c:\program files (x86)\gnu tools arm embedded\5.2 2015q4\arm-none-eabi\include\dirent.h:6:0,
from source/fatfs/sdmmc/sdmmc.c:32:
c:\program files (x86)\gnu tools arm embedded\5.2 2015q4\arm-none-eabi\include\sys\dirent.h:10:2: error: #error "<dirent.h> not supported"
#error "<dirent.h> not supported"
^
make: *** [build/fatfs/sdmmc/sdmmc.o] Error 1

On Windows 10 X64

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Last edited by mid-kid,

Pokepicker

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I dont know if this has been answered before, but I am having an issue with Cakes.
My sysNAND is on 9.2.0-20E. I followed one of the guides here to set up CTRBootmanager and Reinand.
My emuNAND is currently on 10.6.x.
Reinand seem to work most of the time. But after seeing cakes support multiple emuNAND I wanted to give it a go.
I believe i got all the files in the right spot. Usually CaksFW opens fine the first time. If I choose "Allow emuNAND" and "allow autoboot", it opens up my emuNAND (as expected).
If i then reboot my 3ds, i am no longer able to run CakesFW. No autoboot, goes to sysNAND, and if i try opening via HBL (via OoThax) it stops on a black screen.
Deleting the config.dat, firmkey.bin and firmware/keypatched.bin usualy results in me being allowed to open the CakesFW menu again. Only to be followed by black screens the next time around.

Any tips? Im using the stable build (108?) linked to in the original post.

EDIT: I will give the new stable build a go:)
EDIT2: Updated all the files, deleted the files I mentioned earlier in this post, and ran Cakes from the HBL. It gives me the menu. After choosing to Allow emuNAND, and hitting Boot CFW it boots my emuNAND (again as expected).
If I reboot my device and run Cakes CFW from HBL it stops on a black screen.

Last edited by Pokepicker,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Wouldn't that be a bit sweet?