Hacking Official [Release] CakesFW

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I could probably do that if so knew where the source was for A9LH.. Can't seem to find a branch from the original

Latest nightly/github works. Just make sure to get the payload from offset 0x12000 in the .dat.
One way to do that:
Code:
dd if=Cakes.dat of=arm9loaderhax.bin bs=512 skip=144
Or just getting build/main.bin if compiling yourself.

Reactions: Madridi

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made the move from RXTools to Cakes about an hour ago, and it worked fine, I turned on all the patches (though I'm seeing now that perhaps I didn't need to turn on the Force saving patched firmware).

Anyway, it was all working great, I'm on a N3DS, EmuNAND 10.6 and everything was running great, I was testing everything, DS games, DSiware, GBA titles, as well as of course standard 3DS titles, and it all worked great.

But now, not longer after doing it, when I start my N3DS over and it tries to autoboot back into my emuNAND, the 3DS keeps hanging after the red screen flashes on the bottom, and nothing loads, and when I try to hold L to access the Cakes menu it doesn't work.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? If so do you know how to remedy it? I even tried to go back to RXtools instead, but the 3DS still hangs at the same place. My SysNAND is 9.0, so I know that there is nothing wrong there. Do I need to reinstall menuhax or something?
Are your nands linked?

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Latest nightly/github works. Just make sure to get the payload from offset 0x12000 in the .dat.
One way to do that:
Code:
dd if=Cakes.dat of=arm9loaderhax.bin bs=512 skip=144
Or just getting build/main.bin if compiling yourself.
Can you dumb it down for me please? I see the build/main.bin .. then what?

I only know how to compile the source

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are your nands linked?

No, and I restored my emuNAND with the EMUNAND tool and it still would hang at the same place regardless if I was using the latest stable version, nightlie version or even RXtools. I was initially using a nightlie, so I suspect it messed something up in menuhax. I'm at work now and can't check this hypothesis, but is the only thing that makes sense, I'll try tonight and report on my findings.

Last edited by duffmmann,

Deleted member 125555

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
no
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Hi, I'm trying to make Cakes be the CFW that my CTR diverts to in order to coldboot to emuNAND, but I'm having a bit of trouble.

I am following this guide:

I followed it exactly up to that point, but I am stuck at 1:48 as the page won't load. Is there any other way to progress?

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
I followed it exactly up to that point, but I am stuck at 1:48 as the page won't load. Is there any other way to progress?
You can use this QR code instead.
e1a654b5f9.png

Deleted member 125555

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
no
XP
Country
Afghanistan
e1a654b5f9.png

Here I am thinking you were kidding, and yet I try it and it works.

TIL you can have images in QRs and they still work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh, one last quick thing. I am trying to use CTR with Cakes. What file of Cake's do I point CTR to in order to have it boot to emuNAND? :) I am pointing it currently to code.bin and it's giving me an error telling me it cannot load.

Edit: Cakes.dat, got it c:

Last edited by Deleted member 125555,
Reactions: Vappy

GBHAKC75

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Here I am thinking you were kidding, and yet I try it and it works.

TIL you can have images in QRs and they still work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh, one last quick thing. I am trying to use CTR with Cakes. What file of Cake's do I point CTR to in order to have it boot to emuNAND? :) I am pointing it currently to code.bin and it's giving me an error telling me it cannot load.

QR codes has redundant information (up to 60% if I remember correctly, but don't quote me on this), so you can put some pictures inside :)

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a way to disable the bottom screen when booting with a9lh? buddy asked me and i didnt have an answer so i figured i would ask

Last edited by pbanj,

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, nightlies are not stable and were never recommended to be used. But in any case, we don't really know what happened. It seems like your emunand is messed up and that may or may not be cakes's fault. As much as I love rxTools, cakes is considered to be more stable in general.

Are your nands linked?

In case you're curious and to anyone else that may have encountered my strange phenomenon, I had used the latest nightlie, I'm not sure if that was the issue, but I was able to remedy my bizarre issue by taking out my r4i Gold card that I always have in my 3DS and starting it up again, and suddenly cakes cfw was working again, I'm not sure why, its not as if I can't use my R4 card, and I just tested entering the card and then exiting back to the 3DS and it all loads back up fine again. I don't get it, but if people have issues with cakes not booting possibly due to using a nightlie instead of the latest stable, try ejecting the cart in your 3DS and starting it up again, it seems to be the solution to such a strange issue.

Reactions: Madridi and pbanj

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
In case you're curious and to anyone else that may have encountered my strange phenomenon, I had used the latest nightlie, I'm not sure if that was the issue, but I was able to remedy my bizarre issue by taking out my r4i Gold card that I always have in my 3DS and starting it up again, and suddenly cakes cfw was working again, I'm not sure why, its not as if I can't use my R4 card, and I just tested entering the card and then exiting back to the 3DS and it all loads back up fine again. I don't get it, but if people have issues with cakes not booting possibly due to using a nightlie instead of the latest stable, try ejecting the cart in your 3DS and starting it up again, it seems to be the solution to such a strange issue.
That's very weird, but I'm glad it worked out :D

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yesterday there was a 139 build

Ah I think I know what happened. I made a suggestion to change the text for the FIRM partition block option which bilis pushed as a forced commit, that way the commit count doesn't go up, but the build bot already made a 137 build at that stage.

So he probably made another change (139) but merged them into commit 137? So the changes for commit 138 and 139 are now in 137 so they don't raise the commit count up for small changes.

@mid-kid does that make sense? Can you confirm this?

Mistie

Legit Furry Trash
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am getting yelled at about "Failed to decrypt the CETK Please make sure the CETK is right." even though I have the correct one.

Code:
Mounted SD card
Failed to load the config.
Starting from scratch.
Loading NATIVE_FIRM
Failed to load FIRM key,
will try to create it...
Loaded CETK
Failed to decrypt CETK

I am on 10.6 sysnand, no emunand. A9LH N3DSXL

Last edited by Mistie,

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am getting yelled at about "Failed to decrypt the CETK Please make sure the CETK is right." even though I have the correct one.

Code:
Mounted SD card
Failed to load the config.
Starting from scratch.
Loading NATIVE_FIRM
Failed to load FIRM key,
will try to create it...
Loaded CETK
Failed to decrypt CETK

I am on 10.6 sysnand, no emunand. A9LH N3DSXL

3DS can't perform decrypting operations (yet) in an A9LH environment.
You have to create the firmkey.bin on a device which is not running A9LH or boot into it somehow else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt