Homebrew [RELEASE] BootAnim9 - Custom boot animations for your 3DS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0hnnyj0hns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok lets get rid of that. No offense but unless you have a reason you're using cakes you shouldn't be using cakes. Let's get you to luma. It has a built in bootmanager so you won't need bootctr9. Give me a min while I get the links for you

Okay i appriciate it

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?threads/411110/

That's luma. It has a wiki linked in the first post. To use it just copy the bin file to the anim file and rename it accordingly. Put the luma folder on the root of your sd card. Inside the luma folder is the payloads folder read the wiki to see how to set that part up

Star updater http://gbatemp.net/index.php?threads/427999/ you will need to make the config file for it like it says in the post. That makes updating luma easy as fuck.

Last edited by pbanj,

j0hnnyj0hns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's luma. It has a wiki linked in the first post. To use it just copy the bin file to the anim file and rename it accordingly. Put the luma folder on the root of your sd card. Inside the luma folder is the payloads folder read the wiki to see how to set that part up

Star updater http://gbatemp.net/index.php?threads/427999/ you will need to make the config file for it like it says in the post. That makes updating luma easy as fuck.[/QUOT

Okay and it won't overwrite my games that I have installed via sd card with FBI installer?? And it will work even though I'm kinda screwed right now since I can't get passed the boot screen??

j0hnnyj0hns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Star updater http://gbatemp.net/index.php?threads/427999/ you will need to make the config file for it like it says in the post. That makes updating luma easy as fuck.

Okay i've got luma and everything installed. No boot pass the splash screen. It freezes?? Creating payloads is confusing the hell out of me :(

wiiuser2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Latest release, v0.6.1, includes a "special" feature for Gateway users ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'll think whether I keep it or not after this release.
As a GW user it was funny seeing this message once but so annoying second time onwards ;-).
Not sure why you did it besides scaring less techy people to death :-)
However, it triggered an idea to write on the sub screen all the key combinations for my Luma payloads.
I took your source, disabled the sub screen video play and created my own txt info for the subscreen and am very happy now ;-)

GW and Luma (to use my ancient DS flashcards) do happily coexist on my O3DS with the three stage A9LH setup.
GW booting by default, BootAnim9 when I press 'left'. While the top video is playing I see now at the bottom screen all my Luma payload keys plus descriptions before pressing select (and optionally one of those keys) to stop the video.

Great idea to automatically patch Luma. Thanks a lot...

P.S. Idea for future 'special GW feature': show a countdown counter with the text: "NAND will be erased in", x , "seconds"

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I was already thinking of removing it, and as for the idea...
hZ5Ft2K.png

It was partly a way for me to add console support and at the same time make a point: GW was able to coexist with CFW and such, the problem now is that they completely ripped off A9LH. It wouldn't be that bad if they got their own version of it, but instead all they did was pretty copy-paste the code from delebile's repo and call it their own. I wouldn't even accept this if they had released the source code to it (which, BTW, they didn't).
If you don't have an arm9payload.bin, you can now see the text instead of an ugly white screen which would throw off most users anyways.

With the latest commit, it'll only load arm9payload.bin (yes, Luma patching does stay)

Also, https://github.com/Wolfvak/BootAnim9/commit/3fe662d0648363f7947c54545ab11b284b4f4eb5
I was already working on this due to some idiot being completely butthurt and calling my code "malicious" (I think he needs a dictionary), but that's already fixed. The binary will be updated in a few minutes as well.

Overall, thanks for at least taking this with calm and not being a total asshat over this.

Reactions: pbanj

wiiuser2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was already thinking of removing it, and as for the idea...
Overall, thanks for at least taking this with calm and not being a total asshat over this.

Sure, no problem, I can appreciate a joke and to be honest, you got me there for a second as well....:D
I really appreciate BootAnim9 as a way to pause the boot sequence with a random video while giving me an opportunity to press the keys I want before starting Luma. Almost an ideal combo in this a9lh age.

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
Okay i've got luma and everything installed. No boot pass the splash screen. It freezes?? Creating payloads is confusing the hell out of me :(
The payloads is not hard. Take bin file for thing(example decrypt9) rename it to a button(example start_d9). Did the luma config screen show up at all? Also make sure to update your bootanim9

zes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried using this, but the screen is very dark, making the animations hard to see. Any way to fix?

That would be from your a9lh stage 2, must have a dim brightness. If you build from source, you can make brighter (ex. if you build your own https://github.com/delebile/arm9loaderhax, you could change "screen_init\source\screen_init\screen_init.c", set BRIGHTNESS from 0x39 to 0xFF for full brightness.)

alpselon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yikes! this was working for me just fine for a long time now, but when i turned on my 3DS today, there was no animation and none of the buttons worked! i had to reset my 3DS, then it worked properly again, very strange...

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
yikes! this was working for me just fine for a long time now, but when i turned on my 3DS today, there was no animation and none of the buttons worked! i had to reset my 3DS, then it worked properly again, very strange...
Maybe it's an SD card related issue - arm9loaderhax wouldn't detect your card and as such hang, waiting for it to be inserted. Once it rebooted, the card was detected? Perhaps?

I generally find issues with my SD adapters all the time (this has to be my 4th/5th already), so this could be what happened.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
not sure if this matters,

but I have 2 N3DS: one installed using the older safeA9LHinstaller, and one using safeA9LHinstaller v2.
Can't think of any other differences between them.

The one using the newer safeA9LHinstaller can't seem to get bootanim working.

Like, black screen. and i'm pretty sure I did it right, as the other N3DS doesn't suffer from this problem.

coder65535

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure if this matters,

but I have 2 N3DS: one installed using the older safeA9LHinstaller, and one using safeA9LHinstaller v2.
Can't think of any other differences between them.

The one using the newer safeA9LHinstaller can't seem to get bootanim working.

Like, black screen. and i'm pretty sure I did it right, as the other N3DS doesn't suffer from this problem.
You installed the "no screen init" version. As BootAnim9 doesn't do screen init itself, the screens stay off. (I think that the buttons don't work, either. At least, I couldn't make it respond.)

Reinstall A9LH (Guide section 1), but install the screen-init version this time. It's found in AuroraWright's A9LH repository.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
You installed the "no screen init" version. As BootAnim9 doesn't do screen init itself, the screens stay off. (I think that the buttons don't work, either. At least, I couldn't make it respond.)

Reinstall A9LH (Guide section 1), but install the screen-init version this time. It's found in AuroraWright's A9LH repository.

so apparently, I probably unknowingly installed screen init onto my first N3DS.
This solved my problem, thanks!

coder65535

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so apparently, I probably unknowingly installed screen init onto my first N3DS.

If you installed A9LH before the major guide update to use v2, you installed screen-init, as that was the only option given.

I'm not sure why Plailect is giving us the choice now, it's only going to confuse people.

Reactions: pbanj and Queno138

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you installed A9LH before the major guide update to use v2, you installed screen-init, as that was the only option given.

I'm not sure why Plailect is giving us the choice now, it's only going to confuse people.
Possibly because they both will work right out of the box with Luma3DS. As Luma3DS chainloader should work even on a no-screen init payload.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay

Personally, I believe that stage2 should always perform screen initialization, the same way a CFW shouldn't include a chainloader.
You want screen init? Use a proper stage2. You want a chainloader? Use a bootloader, with the default set to your CFW of choice.

But that's just my opinion, and I still can't understand why anyone would install a no screen init stage2 (except for being confused)

Another "issue" I've found is the lack of a recovery mode: in case you botch stage2 there should always be an alternative (altstage2, if you will). dark-samus has already implemented it in his arm9loaderhax fork, but I can't understand why it isn't included in the latest (dunno about greatest) arm9loaderhax stages.

Reactions: zes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff