Homebrew [RELEASE] BootAnim9 - Custom boot animations for your 3DS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
NOTE: This software is no longer supported, please check this out instead.
This thread will be locked to prevent necrobumping.

tqZUeGb.png

BootAnim9 - v0.6.2
Features
Play animations on boot:

• Animations can be RAW or compressed (LZ + delta encoding, by @d0k3)
  • Configurable framerate (1 - 30, both animations must have the same framerate)
  • Luma3DS payload patching (doesn't need pathchanger, it's done automatically)
NOTE: Requires screen init arm9loaderhax - if you have a newer stage2 try renaming it to "arm9loaderhax_si.bin".

How to install
Place the downloaded/compiled payload in root and place the payload to chainload as "/anim/arm9payload.bin".

It also supports loading BootCTR9 - just drop "arm9bootloader.bin" into the SD card root as well as its configuration file and you're good to go. Please note that BootCTR9 will only load if neither "arm9payload.bin" nor "luma.bin" exist.

How to create an animation
Requires ffmpeg to be in PATH and ImageMagick to be installed.

Use @Docmudkipz' script, makeanim (requires PowerShell on Windows or dash-compatible interpreter). Follow the instructions in the script, and make sure to have a file source readable by ffmpeg (GIF/H.264/VP8/etc).

Or you can check out this thread for animations that others have made.

How to install animations
Create directories called '0' through '9' in the "/anim/" folder. Place whatever animations you downloaded/created inside said folders, making sure not to leave spaces between them (for example, you can't place animations in folder '0' and '2' without placing any in folder '1'). The randomizer will pick one of your animations and play it back on each coldboot (not when rebooting).

For example, a tree layout may be:

SD card root:
- arm9loaderhax.bin
- anim/
- 0/
- anim
- bottom_anim
- config

- 1/
- anim
- config

- arm9payload.bin

In the case above, there're two animations (0 and 1), animation 0 has both animations (top and bottom) and a config file, while animation 1 has only a top screen animation.

Credits

@chaoskagami for better code overall and @TheBaloneyboy for minor code edits

@Docmudkipz for makeanim

@d0k3 for his compression implementation

#Cakey for useful tips and pointers, as always

b1l1s for his ctr library full of useful fb snippets and Normmatt for sdmmc

Everyone else who supported me through these two awesome months! (yes, I'm looking at you /r/Nintendohax)

Special shoutout to @Housey for creating some epic music that helped me focus during some rough times. You can find his awesome stuff here

As well as @A_Random_Guy for asking me to make FB9 and getting me into this beautiful mess :P

Latest video showcasing the random animation feature

Note: The only reason the 3DS plays back the animation again after I press a key is a debug tool, in order to test whether randomness works fine

Old video by @Guy50570

Here's an early POC I recorded when I got both screens working

Have fun!

Last edited by Wolfvak, , Reason: final update lol

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi there, this is my second release for the A9LH exploit. This time I bring animated boot screens!

HOW TO USE: Rename your current arm9loaderhax.bin payload to arm9payload.bin and drop my arm9loaderhax.bin on the SD card root. Drop the provided animation to sdmc:/anim or create your own!(instructions on GitHub page). You can even have two animations for each screen!

Download: https://github.com/Wolfvak/BootAnim9/releases/latest

If you don't trust getting just a binary, check out the source!

Please note, due to the way this works, it'll take some time to load the boot screen (about 1-2 seconds)
just what I was waiting :D excelent!

Reactions: Aerocool

Faru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's only 10fps as of right now, trying to implement a better system to detect fps accordingly, this is due to the fact that some files can get HUGE
I see...

Well we can only improve from here right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over