Homebrew [release] basicSNESinjector - inject SNES roms into the official VC emulator

Startropic1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not every ROM is supported. Take for example games that use special chips like the SuperFX chip. The ROM size doesn't matter, but large ROMS ( >= 32Mbit) don't seem to be compatible with a few exceptions.

Then why did you use the logo of a game that uses one of those chips in the OP? (SFA2)

ongo_gablogian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be able to use the emulator data from SFA2 to support SOME of "special chip" games. SFA2 doesn't use the FX chip, it uses a different one. It might be the one used for some of the Megaman X games.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 uses the S-DD1 chip. The only other game that also uses this chip is Star Ocean, which unfortunately is too large at 48 Mbit.

Megaman X2 and X3 use CX4 chip, which is only found in these two games. They've also both been released on the european eShop so making injections of them isn't necessary.

New Version Released!

Thanks for the update, especially the Game ID stuff! If it's possible, do you think you could add the option to edit the entirety of the game ID? I'd like to be able to have the vc injects I've made start with something like "SNE-S-XXXX".

Heimdallr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Street Fighter Alpha 2 uses the S-DD1 chip. The only other game that also uses this chip is Star Ocean, which unfortunately is too large at 48 Mbit.

Well, crud. I was just about to ask if it was possible to properly inject Star Ocean into the SFA2 data.bin. I didn't realize the game was that large. :(

Since Cx4 is supported, it makes me wonder if SA1 is supported as well. Probably won't know until if/when a game using that chip is released, though...

If it's possible, do you think you could add the option to edit the entirety of the game ID? I'd like to be able to have the vc injects I've made start with something like "SNE-S-XXXX".

I second this. No idea if it can be done but that'd be pretty nice.

Last edited by Heimdallr,

WarioTails358

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problemo, I'm glad you find it useful.
So some games I injected have crackling sounds/noise instead of what they should normally sound like on a Super Nintendo.
Is this because of the game I'm using to inject my rom? Or is it because of the fact some stuff isn't supported by the virtual console?
Also the snes virtual console doesn't have a widescreen option like NES,GB, and GBC?

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So some games I injected have crackling sounds/noise instead of what they should normally sound like on a Super Nintendo.
Is this because of the game I'm using to inject my rom? Or is it because of the fact some stuff isn't supported by the virtual console?
Also the snes virtual console doesn't have a widescreen option like NES,GB, and GBC?

I've heard reports of the sound compatibility issue and it may or may not have to do with the Source SNES VC. What game(s) are producing bad sound? I'll look into it.

Any idea why the option to do a save state isn't available? Is this happening to anyone else?

The emulator should ask you if you want to use save states when you first access its menu.

Can I inject Star Ocean with this application?

You can inject it just fine, but it may not work due to it's size and special chips it uses.

WarioTails358

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard reports of the sound compatibility issue and it may or may not have to do with the Source SNES VC. What game(s) are producing bad sound? I'll look into it.

The emulator should ask you if you want to use save states when you first access its menu.

You can inject it just fine, but it may not work due to it's size and special chips it uses.

The game that has sound/noise crackles for me is when I injected Indianas' Jones Greatest Adventures for the Super Nintendo.
The crackles happen in the second stage when the boulder falls and whenever you throw a grenade with the X button there is a loud crackling noise.

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
The SNES Virtual Console is different from NES, GB and GBC Virtual Console. In fact, I've checked an SNES game's ROMFS, and it doesn't have the agb.bin file like with NES and GB(C).

Heimdallr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For the sound issues, Sparkster has it somewhat bad. Lufia II has it as well but AFAIK it's very minor. (For the record I injected these manually a good while ago)

Also there's a few games I've injected where there was no option to use save states, and didn't give a prompt upon opening the menu for the first time. I don't remember which ones though...

Star Ocean might not have a problem if you inject it into SFA2, since it uses the same chip. Regards to size, I don't know. It's quite large at 48 megabits but NSRT lists it as LoROM and not Extended, unlike Chrono Trigger Retranslation which is Extended HiROM (Same size, and black screens right after you start the game). I'll try injecting it and see how it goes.

Edit: Didn't work. Oh, well...

Last edited by Heimdallr,

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I take it your system HAS to have a custom firmware to take advantage of this? You can't do this from the Homebrew Launcher at all? Bummer. My dreams of having TMNT: Tournament Fighters on my home screen are dashed before they even started!

WarioTails358

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the sound issues, Sparkster has it somewhat bad. Lufia II has it as well but AFAIK it's very minor. (For the record I injected these manually a good while ago)

Also there's a few games I've injected where there was no option to use save states, and didn't give a prompt upon opening the menu for the first time. I don't remember which ones though...

Star Ocean might not have a problem if you inject it into SFA2, since it uses the same chip. Regards to size, I don't know. It's quite large at 48 megabits but NSRT lists it as LoROM and not Extended, unlike Chrono Trigger Retranslation which is Extended HiROM (Same size, and black screens right after you start the game). I'll try injecting it and see how it goes.

Edit: Didn't work. Oh, well...
You know if you don't have the option to use savestates you just have to press L+R+X+START to enable them right?
That's how it works for me if it doesn't automatically enable save states.

Reactions: cots

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Super Aleste / Space Megaforce is another one with bad sound. The mid-low end has that distorted crackle, and it's present with injections of ROMs from all regions.

Reactions: CatmanFan

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
is there anyway at all to have a full screen 16:9 snes game,without having to go into a emulator first aka a shortcut cia for the game
I'm not sure for SNES, but it's pretty easy for NES, GB and GBC.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Super Aleste / Space Megaforce is another one with bad sound. The mid-low end has that distorted crackle, and it's present with injections of ROMs from all regions.
Hopefully when @Asdolo releases his Ultimate SNES VC Injector for 3DS it may fix this issue. Or probably when this tool will be updated soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.