Hacking [Release] 3DSafe: In-NAND PIN lock for 3DS

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When installing, do I just need the payload_stage1.bin and payload_stage2.bin in the a9lh folder? Or do I need all the other files too like when you update a9lh? I assume I need all of them.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check here:

https://github.com/mashers/3DSafe/blob/master/INSTALLATION.md

It details what you need to carry out the installation.
I'm already using this guide. I'm just confused if I need the files from updating a9lh like secret_sector.bin, or firm0.bin like in the update guide, or just the payload_stage1.bin and payload_stage2.bin listed in your instructions. It says to update according to safea9lhinsallers instructions, so I'm not 100% sure.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mashers Figured it out. Noticed something. If you enter the wrong PIN or press start with no PIN, it still says to put the otp.bin on the root of your SD card, instead of sha.bin. Just letting you know for the next update.

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use any version of Luma that can boot from CTRNAND (6.6 is the latest.) You can either add Luma to CTRNAND using GodMode9 or 3dsafe, but you will need a path.txt in SYSNAND CTRNAND:/rw/luma/path.txt, and it will need to have the file path of emergency.bin. As for loading the payload from the NAND, the only (noticeable) difference is where the payload is stored...
Just found out too today that you also need another copy of that path.txt on extSdCard:/luma/path.txt otherwise agb wont work.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I may make a suggestion. Currently the PIN entry stops after you enter the correct number of buttons for your PIN, whether the PIN us correct or not. Could it be changed so the PIN isn't confirmed until you press start? This way, someone trying to guess your PIN would have no idea how many buttons long it is.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just found out too today that you also need another copy of that path.txt on extSdCard:/luma/path.txt otherwise agb wont work.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
That is only if you are booting the payload from the NAND, and with the SD card in...
I have arm9loaderhax.bin on my SD card (root,) so my config on my SD doesn't have "use custom path" selected. Meanwhile, I use emergency.bin (in the 3dsafe folder) on my NAND. So I have a path.txt file in SYSNAND CTRNAND:/rw/luma/path.txt. On my NAND config, I have "use custom path" enabled.

Last edited by BARNWEY,

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
If I may make a suggestion. Currently the PIN entry stops after you enter the correct number of buttons for your PIN, whether the PIN us correct or not. Could it be changed so the PIN isn't confirmed until you press start? This way, someone trying to guess your PIN would have no idea how many buttons long it is.

I believe this has already been suggested.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If it was my bad, I didn't re-read the entire thread. I remember the underscores where the PIN goes on the top screen being removed for this very reason, kinda pointless if PIN entry works the way it does now.
yeah I pointed this out just after the latest version was released and I believe it is already fixed, maybe he just hasn't made an actual release including the changes
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3dsafe-in-nand-pin-lock-for-3ds.440832/page-31#post-6759698

Reactions: MadMageKefka

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone please clarify what this means;
**No reboot patches yet, so no AGB/TWL/SAFE_MODE booting.**
Does that mean if we proceed with the use of recovery the console will either brick or uninstall A9LH? I understand that you cant access this option without pin, just want to know what the rules are:)

I am asking because this project is a fork of RShadowhand/ShadowNAND.

Last edited by democracy,

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This has actually already been done in this commit:
https://github.com/mashers/3DSafe/commit/b1926668173f821d52bf310f0bcab267e6646c06

It will be included in the next release.

Can someone please clarify what this means;
**No reboot patches yet, so no AGB/TWL/SAFE_MODE booting.**
Does that mean if we proceed with the use of recovery the console will either brick or uninstall A9LH? I understand that you cant access this option without pin, just want to know what the rules are:)

I am asking because this project is a fork of RShadowhand/ShadowNAND.
3DSafe is so loosely based on ShadowNAND that the ShadowNAND changelog cannot be used to infer features or limitations of 3DSafe. 3DSafe doesn't do any reboot patches at all - it's all handled by your arm9loaderhax payload (I.e. Your CFW).

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ghostpotato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to install 3DSafe on my freshly-hacked N3DS yields this error: "Error: the OTP hash or the NAND key sector are invalid" from SafeA9LHInstaller. I would use the built-in SafeA9LHInstaller from 3DSafe, but I can't because it isn't installed. Is there a fix to this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Although i practically started it