Hacking Reinstall sys firm possible?

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking it's either a hardware thing or a cache save thing, have you used TinyFormat again? If not, try that, if yes, I'm gonna try something else fun
I did use TinyFormat already, on the emuNAND. Nothing changed. I guess I can try it again on my sysNAND since I can just restore NAND backup with GM9.

If it is a hardware problem, then it will have just been due to usage of the system and age. My O3DS is the red Pokémon X/Y model. That makes it 4 years old, which is far too young for hardware failure, but what do I know. Nobody makes anything like they used to. These newer devices are never as durable and long-lasting as older tech like the N64 or even the DS phat (of which I have two, and only one has a problem: the touch screen is way off and cannot be fixed with calibration).
My 3DS was in sleep mode for about a week, playing Pokémon Moon (was in the middle of a shiny chain, decided to take a break for about a week lol). When I opened it up, it was frozen in sleep mode. That was in April, I believe.
I have tried reseating the wifi module in the system just to be sure. It didn't change anything.

I see "fun" and I'm intrigued. With this sort of stuff, "fun" can only mean "drastic" or "dangerous." Ordinarily, I'd be wary of such, but at this point, I just wanna fix this so I can properly play Animal Crossing with my friend. Show me what you got. :D

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did use TinyFormat already, on the emuNAND. Nothing changed. I guess I can try it again on my sysNAND since I can just restore NAND backup with GM9.

If it is a hardware problem, then it will have just been due to usage of the system and age. My O3DS is the red Pokémon X/Y model. That makes it 4 years old, which is far too young for hardware failure, but what do I know. Nobody makes anything like they used to. These newer devices are never as durable and long-lasting as older tech like the N64 or even the DS phat (of which I have two, and only one has a problem: the touch screen is way off and cannot be fixed with calibration).
My 3DS was in sleep mode for about a week, playing Pokémon Moon (was in the middle of a shiny chain, decided to take a break for about a week lol). When I opened it up, it was frozen in sleep mode. That was in April, I believe.
I have tried reseating the wifi module in the system just to be sure. It didn't change anything.

I see "fun" and I'm intrigued. With this sort of stuff, "fun" can only mean "drastic" or "dangerous." Ordinarily, I'd be wary of such, but at this point, I just wanna fix this so I can properly play Animal Crossing with my friend. Show me what you got. :D
okay, so, this is gonna take a bit but move all your files off of your SD card, download lowvel, and nuke the SD card clean, then download guiformat and format it to FAT32 (32768 is good up to 32GB, 64GB+, use 65536)
then grab the latest Luma3DS nightly, boot.firm in the root as usual and the latest GodMode9 nightly (name it as SD:\luma\payloads\b_GodMode9.firm), and then boot it up as normal
it'll pop up the Luma config screen, enter: brightness to 1, and turn on game patching, NAND string, and GBA boot screen (those 3 in the middle)
press start and then immediately release it and hold B to get into GodMode9
make a backup of your NAND (home button, more..., backup nand), then we get to do the fun stuff

go to [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND -> data -> [uniqueid], press L, down, L to mark extdata and sysdata, then Y to copy them, press B a few times, go into SD -> gm9out and press Y to paste them
then go back and delete both extdata and sysdata now that you copied/moved both files off of the NAND
after they're deleted, hold R and press START to turn it off, and then turn it back on and hope it doesn't break spectacularly, let me know what happens, those are basically the only caches that I know of, NAND and SD

EDIT: ps I have an O3DS XL too, blue version, only thing I've had is a few pixels going out on me, so it's just as old

Last edited by NWPlayer123,
Reactions: Ar7ific1al

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@NWPlayer123 It's astonishing how quickly new devices malfunction, isn't it? :/ My phat DS with the borked touchscreen has a single dead pixel, the other one is flawless in all ways. The trigger buttons even click, still! I love that auditory and tactile feedback. Seems like these days, we're lucky to get four years out of something before it has to be replaced. On top of it, Nintendo keeps releasing new iterations. I still can't believe they thought it was a good idea to call the new model... New 3DS. Anyone who isn't "in the know" about 3DS won't know that "new 3DS" is a different model and isn't referring to a freshly bought device.

I tried TinyFormat on my sysNAND. Had to relink my NNID but whatever. Tried downloading Pokémon X. It went for a little bit, then the same old thing: download stops, wireless communication indicator ceases activity, system freezes when trying to interact, and I can either switch off the wireless and get the usual error from Rosalina, or hold the power button to turn it off.

I'm nuking my secondary SD card now with lowvel right now. I'll post again when I finish the rest.

Reactions: NWPlayer123

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@NWPlayer123 Alright, I've nuked my SD with lowvel, formatted with guiformat, backed up and deleted the extdata and sysdata from the NAND. It made me setup the 3DS as though it was new and relink my NNID again, just like after using TinyFormat.
Nothing has changed. Extended wireless activity still breaks.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@NWPlayer123 Alright, I've nuked my SD with lowvel, formatted with guiformat, backed up and deleted the extdata and sysdata from the NAND. It made me setup the 3DS as though it was new and relink my NNID again, just like after using TinyFormat.
Nothing has changed. Extended wireless activity still breaks.
sounds like you're just SoL, maybe try downgrading to Luma v7.1? might be cfw, else we can poke at the crash dump, might just need a new wifi module

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like you're just SoL, maybe try downgrading to Luma v7.1? might be cfw, else we can poke at the crash dump, might just need a new wifi module
No crash dump is generated. From my experience, only kernel panic will produce ARM9 and ARM11 crash dumps. As far as I can tell, the error I'm getting from Rosalina is a replacement for the 3DS's usual (and useless) "An error has occurred, turn of the system, blah blah" screen.
I tried swapping out my boot.firm with the one from Luma 7.1 but it won't boot - not even chainloader or Luma settings. It says:
An error has occurred:
Unsupported launcher (argc = 0).
Press any button to shutdown.

Restoring the latest boot.firm restores functionality. Sooo... I can't use Luma 7.1 for some reason? lol

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No crash dump is generated. From my experience, only kernel panic will produce ARM9 and ARM11 crash dumps. As far as I can tell, the error I'm getting from Rosalina is a replacement for the 3DS's usual (and useless) "An error has occurred, turn of the system, blah blah" screen.
I tried swapping out my boot.firm with the one from Luma 7.1 but it won't boot - not even chainloader or Luma settings. It says:
An error has occurred:
Unsupported launcher (argc = 0).
Press any button to shutdown.

Restoring the latest boot.firm restores functionality. Sooo... I can't use Luma 7.1 for some reason? lol
oh, that's cause boot9strap doesn't like it, you'll have to write back v1.0 with safeb9sinstaller

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh, that's cause boot9strap doesn't like it, you'll have to write back v1.0 with safeb9sinstaller
No dice. I got the same error, albeit not from Rosalina (because Rosalina is not present in 7.1). It presents the information differently. It may or may not be helpful, so here it is:
FATAL ERROR
PID: 0x00040130_00002D02 (we already know what this is)
REV: 62212
AID: 0x00040010_00021900 (this is the eShop according to yls meat hall site)
ADR: 0x00103218 (memory address, I assume)
RSL: 0xF9606C05
Level: -1
Summary: 11
Module: 27
Desc: 5

EDIT: I should probably clarify, I meant downgrading to Luma 7.1 didn't change anything. lol I downgraded B9S and Luma 7.1 boots now.

Last edited by Ar7ific1al,

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No dice. I got the same error, albeit not from Rosalina (because Rosalina is not present in 7.1). It presents the information differently. It may or may not be helpful, so here it is:
FATAL ERROR
PID: 0x00040130_00002D02 (we already know what this is)
REV: 62212
AID: 0x00040010_00021900 (this is the eShop according to yls meat hall site)
ADR: 0x00103218 (memory address, I assume)
RSL: 0xF9606C05
Level: -1
Summary: 11
Module: 27
Desc: 5

EDIT: I should probably clarify, I meant downgrading to Luma 7.1 didn't change anything. lol I downgraded B9S and Luma 7.1 boots now.
and this is the part where I ask @TuxSH @Aurora Wright if that means anything, I haven't delved in system modules enough

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@NWPlayer123
Welp, I think I'm just gonna try getting a replacement wifi module for my 3DS. Would you happen to know a reputable, cheap source? Preferably in the U.S. I'm not interested in waiting 2+ weeks for shipping or paying more than maybe $8. Looking around on eBay, but not sure I should bother.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@NWPlayer123
Welp, I think I'm just gonna try getting a replacement wifi module for my 3DS. Would you happen to know a reputable, cheap source? Preferably in the U.S. I'm not interested in waiting 2+ weeks for shipping or paying more than maybe $8. Looking around on eBay, but not sure I should bother.
I've never tried looking around, last fix I did was a shell replacement for my DS Lite, eBay or Amazon would probably be the most reliable but again, I wouldn't know

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@NWPlayer123
Got the replacement earlier than expected. Nothing has changed. So it's not a problem with the wifi module.
Unless you've got any other ideas, I guess I'm just screwed. :/
yeah, I dunno what could be going on, it theoretically should all be clean and working so unless it's a hardware malfunction I dunno what else to try, sorry we couldn't get it fixed

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I dunno what could be going on, it theoretically should all be clean and working so unless it's a hardware malfunction I dunno what else to try, sorry we couldn't get it fixed
One more idea:
It's my understanding that B9S/A9LH protect the NAND in some way from system updates. Also, doesn't GM9 only allow safe NAND restoration, leaving in tact the parts of the NAND that are protected by B9S/A9LH?
If something went wrong with the protected portion of the NAND, then in theory I should be unable to solve the problem by system update or NAND restoration, correct?
If that's the case, then would reverting to stock (removing CFW and B9S) be an option?
I'm kind of just taking shots in the dark at this point. I understand that if I were to remove B9S and the CFW, I would be stuck on a stock 11.4. That doesn't bother me so much, knowing that more hax are in the works that will enable stock 11.4 to be CFW'd. I wouldn't take any chances right now until I could safely get back to CFW from a stock 11.4, though.

Last edited by Ar7ific1al,

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One more idea:
It's my understanding that B9S/A9LH protect the NAND in some way from system updates. Also, doesn't GM9 only allow safe NAND restoration, leaving in tact the parts of the NAND that are protected by B9S/A9LH?
If something went wrong with the protected portion of the NAND, then in theory I should be unable to solve the problem by system update or NAND restoration, correct?
If that's the case, then would reverting to stock (removing CFW and B9S) be an option?
I'm kind of just taking shots in the dark at this point. I understand that if I were to remove B9S and the CFW, I would be stuck on a stock 11.4. That doesn't bother me so much, knowing that more hax are in the works that will enable stock 11.4 to be CFW'd. I wouldn't take any chances right now until I could safely get back to CFW from a stock 11.4, though.
nah, has nothing to do with the FIRMs

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@NWPlayer123
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I just need to replace my 3DS but since I can't do that, I've done some more digging, browsing, and investigating. I came across this post from today. Using the link provided, I did get some more (vague) insight to my problem. The error produced by Rosalina is useless unless the error code can be parsed, and I don't know how to do that; a quick Google search yielded no results. The error provided by pre-Rosalina version of Luma does provide some useful stuff, however.
Summary = 11: Internal
Description = 5: Invalid string length. This error is returned when service name length is greater than 8 or zero. (srv)
Level = -1: There is no -1 in the table.

I doubt this is useful/helpful, but it's the last bit of dirt I can dig up for this problem. lol

Reactions: NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@NWPlayer123
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I just need to replace my 3DS but since I can't do that, I've done some more digging, browsing, and investigating. I came across this post from today. Using the link provided, I did get some more (vague) insight to my problem. The error produced by Rosalina is useless unless the error code can be parsed, and I don't know how to do that; a quick Google search yielded no results. The error provided by pre-Rosalina version of Luma does provide some useful stuff, however.
Summary = 11: Internal
Description = 5: Invalid string length. This error is returned when service name length is greater than 8 or zero. (srv)
Level = -1: There is no -1 in the table.

I doubt this is useful/helpful, but it's the last bit of dirt I can dig up for this problem. lol
oh, that's weird, the last thing I'd suggest is do the sysmodule repair on all other modules after another NAND backup, the delete 02, boot into recovery, reinstall it with that, delete 03, go into normal system update and reinstall with that, for everything besides nwm, just do them one at a time, and like I said, just using the CIAs isn't gonna work which is why you have to use the updaters
https://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/titlelist.php?date=04-10-17_08-00-38&sys=ctr&reg=E&soap=1

EDIT: sysmodules being 00040130, Ctrl+F

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-