Reggie Fils-Aimé on NX "For us it's not about the specs"

When Reggie, the president of Nintendo of America, was asked yesterday about how he felt the NX stacks up against the new Xbox and Playstation consoles, he responded in an expected (but still disappointing) way.

Reggie said:
"You know for us, it’s not about specs, it’s not about teraflops, it’s not about the horsepower of a particular system. For us it’s about content. Nintendo is a content focused company. We create entertainment that makes people smile so for us, we’re focused on bringing our best entertainment to the Wii U as well as the NX in the future.

For us whatever Microsoft and Sony are doing in terms of talking about new systems, that’s for them to fight out in that red ocean. For us, we want to make sure we're bringing our best content forward and right now the reaction to Zelda has been more than we could have ever imagined."

I'm sure that we at the 'temp have a lot to say about this statement. Let us know your opinions below!

:arrow: Source: Bloomberg.com

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they manage to use Unity and UE4 and have similar way of coding.... and specs somewhere close to PS4.5 then, Nintendo would have a chance for the very first time to get third party support.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I could do it blindfolded with my arms behind my back:

Metal Gear Solid
Tekken
Final Fantasy
Spyro
Legacy of Kain (Soul Reaver and Blood Omen)
Diablo
Parasite Eve
Grand Theft Auto
Silent Hill
Tenchu
Oddworld
Crash Bandicoot
Syphon Filter
Castlevania (seeing that SOTN is superior to N64vania in every way)
Klonoa
Ace Combat
Megaman X
Suikoden
Street Fighter and Street Fighter Alpha
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil
Fear Effect
Driver
Armored Core
Front Mission

The list goes on. Those aren't even single titles, they're franchises with multiple entries in them. Some were released on the N64 as well, but the ports/installments sucked dick - nobody plays N64 Resident Evil or N64 Castlevania. I could spend literally all day enumerating good PS1 games that everyone loved, I haven't even scratched the surface.

Driver 2, Tomba2, Xena Warrior Princess etc etc xD Metal twister, Destruction Derby...

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Ulieq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When Reggie, the president of Nintendo of America, was asked yesterday about how he felt the NX stacks up against the new Xbox and Playstation consoles, he responded in an expected (but still disappointing) way.

I'm sure that we at the 'temp have a lot to say about this statement. Let us know your opinions below!

:arrow: Source: Bloomberg.com

We know, but it is for us.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Fact is. Nintendo should release its games accross all consoles.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sony is the same way. It's always the same franchises over and over. The Playstation 1 had tons of shovelware too. I don't get your point. You're comparing quantity over quality.

Here's a better challenge:
Name 20 GOOD Playstation games that sold just as good if not better than those "few" Nintendo 64 titles.

You wanna know what people remember? N64. You wanna know what console excited schoolchildren and adults alike?

Are you saying that nobody remembers MGS, FFT, FFVII, FFIX, Gran Turismo, Driver, Tomb Raider, Medievil, Spyro, Ape Escape, Crash (Team Racing being objectively superior to MK64, simply by being the same game but with less RNG), Klonoa, Xenogears, Suikoden, Breath of Fire, Abe, Winning Eleven, Alundra, Dragon Quest VII, Tenchu, Resident evil 1-2-3, Silent Hill, Valkyrie profile, Vagrant Story, castlevania SOTN, and the other myriad of sports games (rally/fishing/tennis/skating).

Most of the aforementioned games keep getting kickstarter nostalgia projects that are based upon them and are fueled by hype alone. Or they get remade, or are still ongoing franchises that sell. How can this be the case?

Bloodstained has many more fans due to SOTN (a single PS1 entry) than the 5-6 games present on Nintendo handhelds that were released over a decade, and was much more influential. Surely that wouldn't have been the case if nobody remembered the system, especially knowing that both the GBA and DS were super successful.

The N64 had the 2 superior platformers (Mario, B&K) and Zelda (the best blend of action/adventure that lacked in high quality on PS1). Everything else either was inferior or didn't even exist on the system. I loved both and I'm glad I owned both, but if I had to choose one, I wouldn't even know 80% of the genres existed if that choice was the N64. Plus, the PS1 had more GOOD GAMES, a fuckload more, as listed above. Yes, it also had more shovelware, but you can choose not to buy them, which unless your mom bought games for you, that cannot just be a negative, what the fuck.

The PS1 is by far more fondly remembered and had the best library overall by a huge margin, even if I believe that SM64 was the single highest quality/most important game that generation. I think you just were a child who only owned one system so he didn't know better but to build nostalgia for the only thing he had.

The N64 was practically nonexistant outside of north america. Can't get attached to something if you don't have it.

Reactions: GBAFail and Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We can stop the list wars, the point has been made. Making a Top 20 of games that are inarguably good and universally liked on the N64 is a struggle, I feel that on the PS1, using individual titles, making a Top 100 wouldn't be that big of a challenge. This shows the power of third-party support, it can make or break a system, and it's not "quantity over quality", the games mentioned are all quality.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They were also better systems, so we're in agreement.

Actually, NES/SNES were better systems to my experienced.. Large
That's what I just said - the SNES was a better system than the N64, and the NGC was a step up, even if it was a minor one.

Yeah but I just excluded NGC because I don't considered NGC to be a better system at all. No 3rd party so I was stick to SNES and NES because of 3rd party.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

That's what I just said - the SNES was a better system than the N64, and the NGC was a step up, even if it was a minor one.

The problem with SNES is that the games were sometimes censored and it made the Mega Drive / Genesis versions automatically better for being uncensored. Two great examples are, Sunset Riders and Robocop Vs. Terminator.

I could do it blindfolded with my arms behind my back:

Metal Gear Solid
Tekken
Final Fantasy
Spyro
Legacy of Kain (Soul Reaver and Blood Omen)
Diablo
Breath of Fire
Parasite Eve
Grand Theft Auto
Time Crisis
Silent Hill
Tenchu
Oddworld
Crash Bandicoot
Syphon Filter
Star Ocean
Persona
Castlevania (seeing that SOTN is superior to N64vania in every way)
Klonoa
Tomba
Ace Combat
Medal of Honor
Megaman X
Suikoden
Street Fighter and Street Fighter Alpha
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil
Fear Effect
Driver
Armored Core
Front Mission
Gex

The list goes on. Those aren't even single titles, they're franchises with multiple entries in them. Some were released on the N64 as well, but the ports/installments sucked dick - nobody plays N64 Resident Evil or N64 Castlevania. Even if they were on it, they lived on on the PS1 while the N64 ones fell into obscurity. I could spend literally all day enumerating good PS1 games that everyone loved, I haven't even scratched the surface. People remember the PS1 very fondly, saying otherwise is complete lunacy.

PS1 has a ton of awesome games but considering Dreamcast also got some of those games it's better to play them on the DC due to being an improvement. Klonoa's on Wii so I'd take that over the PS1 version. I've still yet to play Fear Effect though I've got so many PS1 games on my PSTV to play it's hard to choose one. :P

Ghost in the Shell should have been in that list of yours, Foxi.

Actually, NES/SNES were better systems to my experienced.. Large
I grew up playing NES but I prefer the 16bit era completely, maybe it's because the games appeal more to me and the graphics/gameplay are more balanced than the 8bit counterpart. Another thing about the 16bit era, Mega Drive / Genesis usually got the games uncut while SNES had them censored in some way.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with SNES is that the games were sometimes censored and it made the Mega Drive / Genesis versions automatically better for being uncensored. Two great examples are, Sunset Riders and Robocop Vs. Terminator.

I grew up playing NES but I prefer the 16bit era completely, maybe it's because the games appeal more to me and the graphics/gameplay are more balanced than the 8bit counterpart. Another thing about the 16bit era, Mega Drive / Genesis usually got the games uncut while SNES had them censored in some way.

Very true about uncensored and censored.. A censored like Mortal Kombat for SNES and a uncensored for Mega Drive/ Sega Genesis version. However, I was never fan of Sega at all. I was into Nintendo for a several reasons: Zelda, Mario, and Mega Man (No, I wasn't into Donkey Kong at all, lol). There you go. :D

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

nwiifletcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it means nothing at al for the future of NX. They are just keeping the secret of NX by saying nothing about the specs. They are not ready to reveal anything yet. I like all of you wish they would but its their system and they can release it anyway they want to, including at the last minute which all of us think is ridiculous. Who knows, it just might work out for them.

Reactions: Zense

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The point wasn't to list games or their alternatives, the point was to illustrate that the library is samey. Sure, some of the games are "better on the DC" (which was a next gen at the time, so go figure), or another platform, but that's not the issue discussed, the issue was variety.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

welp, Nintendo has gone officially gone full retard.
It was a low blow of Nintendo (Reggie) to refer as to how they don't need teraflops or what have you in regards to Microsoft's Xbox Scorpio. Phil Spencer and Microsoft seems like they want to get their audience to play with others via cross-platform as well as Phil Spencer saying he'd be fine with cross-overs.

trtrtr.jpg

microosftrarenintendpgopdr.jpg

cooroxd

Dirty Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would argue that Nintendo died long before that. Nintendo died when their proprietary technology became more important than getting widespread support, when they rejected industry standards. What we're seeing now is a decomposing corpse, the effects of poor decisions from decades ago. The decline started in mid-90'ies, with the Wii and the DS being anomalies on an otherwise declining graph. Things have never been the same after the N64, and they never will if Nintendo doesn't change its trajectory.

I hope Nintendo takes its last breath soon because I am hoping companies like game freak (pokemon) will start porting pokemon to PC or Mobile ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

Last edited by cooroxd,

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good specs doesn't mean it'll be friendly for third party developers. There's plenty of articles out there with information from third party devs that point out there's plenty of other problems that make it hard to develop for Nintendo consoles. They need to make it easy to develop for and have good support for third party devs. It shouldn't take them a week to respond to a dev's question or give out incomplete development tools.

As for a consumer like me who primarily plays on PC, I don't really care about the specs as no console will compare to my PC. If they want my attention, then they need to put out plenty of games I want to play and make the system so cheap I wouldn't mind throwing in that much money to play them. As long as the game plays well and smoothly with a decent look, then I'll be happy. Bayonetta 2 is still one of my favorite recent games.

EDIT: Though, I'd be even happier if they just developed their games for PC as well.

I can't speak for AAA developers obviously but as a licensed indie dev for the Wii U I can attest to the fact that tech support is available via the developer forums 24/7 365 days a year and you can reach them by phone during normal business hours and they pick up very promptly and are very helpful.

I would think logically AAA developers have even better support or at the very least, the same level.

The tools indie devs are provided with make game development so much easier. Though from what I understand AAA developers usually just end up with the SDK alone and make all their own engines from scratch (sometimes they'll use an existing one but you get the idea).

Porting things to the Wii U is where things start to break down though. Games that run brilliantly on a PC (or another console with better hardware) have to be summed down quite a bit to make them playable which makes it a turn off for consumers. Would you rather have the full experience or save about $10 (usd) for a stripped down version?

Even if Nintendo doesn't want to make a powerhouse and keep the NX affordable they're still going to have to at the very least be on par with the Xbox one and ps4

Reactions: I pwned U!

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't speak for AAA developers obviously but as a licensed indie dev for the Wii U I can attest to the fact that tech support is available via the developer forums 24/7 365 days a year and you can reach them by phone during normal business hours and they pick up very promptly and are very helpful.

I would think logically AAA developers have even better support or at the very least, the same level.

The tools indie devs are provided with make game development so much easier. Though from what I understand AAA developers usually just end up with the SDK alone and make all their own engines from scratch (sometimes they'll use an existing one but you get the idea).

Porting things to the Wii U is where things start to break down though. Games that run brilliantly on a PC (or another console with better hardware) have to be summed down quite a bit to make them playable which makes it a turn off for consumers. Would you rather have the full experience or save about $10 (usd) for a stripped down version?

Even if Nintendo doesn't want to make a powerhouse and keep the NX affordable they're still going to have to at the very least be on par with the Xbox one and ps4
It sounds like they've improved it, so that's good. I'm mainly referencing this. Yeah, obviously if Nintendo wants the same third party games as other platforms, their system should be just as capable. Though, that wasn't exactly what I have in mind (since I can already just play those games on PC). I was thinking maybe devs could treat it similar to a handheld and just throw smaller and cheaper projects on there. Then again, there's no reason those can't be released on PC as well.

I'd rather just see them go the PC route, but as long as they're going to be stubborn about their consoles, price and exclusives are going to be my main concern. They can go a couple of different routes with this. They can either try to come up with a box to compete with PS/Xbox that'll be roughly as expensive and powerful or they can make a cheap but solid box that's meant to be a side to the PS/Xbox/PC, just have it so cheap that have anyone interested in their games won't mind throwing in that much money.

With the last generation, it seemed like they went for the latter but it needed to be cheaper and have more good exclusives.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

yeah they could, I don't see why not
The Wii's image was tarnished by how Nintendo marketed so hardly anyone cared about it or played on it. Yeah, it sold a lot but for gamers it was very lacking in quality content (it has some good games, sure).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://www.temu.com/funny-seafood-phone-case-creative-crab-lobster-phone-case-for-iphone-14-13-1...