Recover OTP?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TheMynx, Jan 3, 2017.

1. TheMynx
    OP

TheMynx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    Belgium
    Hello,

I somehow managed to delete my otp.bin from wherever it's located on the SD card (don't ask how, I don't remember deleting it). How would I go about recovering the file from my 3ds? Do I downgrade back to 2.1 and use SafeA9LHinstaller to reinstall A9LH again? Or do I have to do something else?
    I'm on a New 3DS XL with A9LH and Luma3DS v6.6

Last edited by TheMynx, Jan 3, 2017
  2. Giodude

Giodude GBAtemp's official rock

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    I believe you just have to follow this to recover otp. https://3ds.guide/updating-a9lh

3. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    does the system no longer boot? u shouldn't need the otp only if injecting into the flash. there's now an otpless way for new 3ds only afaik.

4. annson24

annson24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2016
    Otp.bin is inside a9lh folder. Not files9

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    It's in files9? I thought it was in /a9lh/.

Either way, you need to downgrade to 2.1 again. It's not really important though.

That won't work.

6. Giodude

Giodude GBAtemp's official rock

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    That method was deemed unsafe due to random bricks. Also having the otp.bin is uesful just in case you need it for something. One use for it was having a pin lock installed to the 3ds nand, and the only way to bypass it was using your console unique otp.bin.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You sure? I could test it right now. It has no mention of needing an otp.

7. TheMynx
    OP

TheMynx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    Belgium
    I'll check /a9lh/ and pray it's there

It does but I'm afraid I may need the OTP again and I won't have it. Better safe than sorry

EDIT: It's not in the a9lh folder either. Is it worth downgrading back to 2.1 to recover the OTP? I already have Legends of Exidia with the exploited save file in case I ever lose access to A9LH

Last edited by TheMynx, Jan 3, 2017
  8. punderino

punderino aka Big-Dick Swinger

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Not worth it, you can update a9lh without your otp and the bootrom exploit is coming SOONtm

9. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    yeah, u should keep the otp safe on ur computer. I have 2 3ds, an old nonXL, and a new 3ds XL. I placed both of their otp's on my laptop. I think they may be on the sd cards as well. also, the disk where I've stored the entire online catalog of wii u titles, has my xbox 360 NAND (both since I have two jtags), my ps3 NOR, my 3ds NAND, my Wii NAND, and my wii u NAND too. it's mostly serving as storage/backup. it was being used as my Wii backup drive, but I've replaced that drive.

10. punderino

punderino aka Big-Dick Swinger

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri
    There's no reason to keep the OTPs tho. The backups of NANDs make sense, but not the 3DSs OTPs.

godreborn likes this.
  11. TheMynx
    OP

TheMynx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    Belgium
    I won't go through the trouble then.

12. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I wasn't aware of that. I knew u could update without the otp, but I've always kept it as a safe measure. could otp-less be attributed to user error? my friend installed it to his new 3ds and his 2ds which I didn't even think was possible since it uses the same fw as the o3ds. he never told me about any issues he had with it.

13. TheMynx
    OP

TheMynx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    Belgium
    There could be some user error, but from what I've read the devs said there is an unknown bug causing the OTPless installation to randomly brick. AFAIK they've tried lots of things but they can't manage to fix it, so OTPless should be a no go for everyone IMO :P

godreborn likes this.
  14. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    I believe you can use A9LH to run the OTP dumper and get the record again.

15. TheMynx
    OP

TheMynx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    Belgium
    Problem is I can't seem to find any homebrew that allows dumping the OTP again, except
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-otphelper-otp-dumping-downgrade-helper.416996/
    But even then it has a brick risk
    for not much in the end.
    After all, what is the OTP really used for other than installing A9LH? Once you installed it you won't need it anymore from what I've seen.

16. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I see. I'm not sure. it took me six hours to install a9lh on each of my 3ds systems.

17. d0k3

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    That post was a long while ago. Since then, the risk has gotten a whole lot smaller than it was before. I honestly wouldn't recommend the 2.x downgrade process again if you just lost your OTP.bin, though. You simply won't need it for a long while (not even for upgrading your A9LH installation), maybe never again if you are already on A9LH.

18. TheMynx
    OP

TheMynx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    Belgium
    I won't take any useless risks then, since the OTP is practically useless for anything else other than installing A9LH. Thanks for the help!

19. zetaPRIME

zetaPRIME Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    United States
    Not to mention that once sighax'd loaders are a thing you'll be able to dump your full OTP from there since arm9loader won't have even run enough to lock it out.