TheMynx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello,

I somehow managed to delete my otp.bin from wherever it's located on the SD card (don't ask how, I don't remember deleting it). How would I go about recovering the file from my 3ds? Do I downgrade back to 2.1 and use SafeA9LHinstaller to reinstall A9LH again? Or do I have to do something else?
I'm on a New 3DS XL with A9LH and Luma3DS v6.6

Last edited by TheMynx,

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I somehow managed to delete my otp.bin from my files9 folder (don't ask how, I don't remember deleting it). How would I go about recovering the file from my 3ds? Do I downgrade back to 2.1 and use SafeA9LHinstaller to reinstall A9LH again? Or do I have to do something else?
I'm on a New 3DS XL with A9LH and Luma3DS v6.6
I believe you just have to follow this to recover otp. https://3ds.guide/updating-a9lh

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does the system no longer boot? u shouldn't need the otp only if injecting into the flash. there's now an otpless way for new 3ds only afaik.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does the system no longer boot? u shouldn't need the otp only if injecting into the flash. there's now an otpless way for new 3ds only afaik.
That method was deemed unsafe due to random bricks. Also having the otp.bin is uesful just in case you need it for something. One use for it was having a pin lock installed to the 3ds nand, and the only way to bypass it was using your console unique otp.bin.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's in files9? I thought it was in /a9lh/.

Either way, you need to downgrade to 2.1 again. It's not really important though.

That won't work.
You sure? I could test it right now. It has no mention of needing an otp.

TheMynx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'll check /a9lh/ and pray it's there

It does but I'm afraid I may need the OTP again and I won't have it. Better safe than sorry

EDIT: It's not in the a9lh folder either. Is it worth downgrading back to 2.1 to recover the OTP? I already have Legends of Exidia with the exploited save file in case I ever lose access to A9LH

Last edited by TheMynx,

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States
I'll check /a9lh/ and pray it's there

It does but I'm afraid I may need the OTP again and I won't have it. Better safe than sorry

EDIT: It's not in the a9lh folder either. Is it worth downgrading back to 2.1 to recover the OTP? I already have Legends of Exidia with the exploited save file in case I ever lose access to A9LH
Not worth it, you can update a9lh without your otp and the bootrom exploit is coming SOONtm

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, u should keep the otp safe on ur computer. I have 2 3ds, an old nonXL, and a new 3ds XL. I placed both of their otp's on my laptop. I think they may be on the sd cards as well. also, the disk where I've stored the entire online catalog of wii u titles, has my xbox 360 NAND (both since I have two jtags), my ps3 NOR, my 3ds NAND, my Wii NAND, and my wii u NAND too. it's mostly serving as storage/backup. it was being used as my Wii backup drive, but I've replaced that drive.

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States
yeah, u should keep the otp safe on ur computer. I have 2 3ds, an old nonXL, and a new 3ds XL. I placed both of their otp's on my laptop. I think they may be on the sd cards as well. also, the disk where I've stored the entire online catalog of wii u titles, has my xbox 360 NAND (both since I have two jtags), my ps3 NOR, my 3ds NAND, my Wii NAND, and my wii u NAND too. it's mostly serving as storage/backup. it was being used as my Wii backup drive, but I've replaced that drive.
There's no reason to keep the OTPs tho. The backups of NANDs make sense, but not the 3DSs OTPs.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no reason to keep the OTPs tho. The backups of NANDs make sense, but not the 3DSs OTPs.

I wasn't aware of that. I knew u could update without the otp, but I've always kept it as a safe measure. could otp-less be attributed to user error? my friend installed it to his new 3ds and his 2ds which I didn't even think was possible since it uses the same fw as the o3ds. he never told me about any issues he had with it.

TheMynx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There could be some user error, but from what I've read the devs said there is an unknown bug causing the OTPless installation to randomly brick. AFAIK they've tried lots of things but they can't manage to fix it, so OTPless should be a no go for everyone IMO :P

Reactions: godreborn

TheMynx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Problem is I can't seem to find any homebrew that allows dumping the OTP again, except
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-otphelper-otp-dumping-downgrade-helper.416996/
But even then it has a brick risk
No use in beating around the bush, stuff like this is dangerous by nature and there will never be complete safety. There are bricked consoles, and you may even encounter one if you did nothing wrong.
for not much in the end.
After all, what is the OTP really used for other than installing A9LH? Once you installed it you won't need it anymore from what I've seen.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There could be some user error, but from what I've read the devs said there is an unknown bug causing the OTPless installation to randomly brick. AFAIK they've tried lots of things but they can't manage to fix it, so OTPless should be a no go for everyone IMO :P

I see. I'm not sure. it took me six hours to install a9lh on each of my 3ds systems.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Problem is I can't seem to find any homebrew that allows dumping the OTP again, except
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-otphelper-otp-dumping-downgrade-helper.416996/
But even then it has a brick risk

for not much in the end.
After all, what is the OTP really used for other than installing A9LH? Once you installed it you won't need it anymore from what I've seen.
That post was a long while ago. Since then, the risk has gotten a whole lot smaller than it was before. I honestly wouldn't recommend the 2.x downgrade process again if you just lost your OTP.bin, though. You simply won't need it for a long while (not even for upgrading your A9LH installation), maybe never again if you are already on A9LH.

TheMynx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I won't take any useless risks then, since the OTP is practically useless for anything else other than installing A9LH. Thanks for the help!

zetaPRIME

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention that once sighax'd loaders are a thing you'll be able to dump your full OTP from there since arm9loader won't have even run enough to lock it out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @K3Nv2