• Replies 3,248
  • Likes 128

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
PSA: You must use the corresponding SDfiles with the right payload version.
I had been using version 2.6 to launch SDfiles version 4.1 and ran into issues.
Did the same thing by running SDfiles 5 version with it and my games started throwing errors upon opening.
So bear in mind that versions matter!

Reactions: tomGER

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If I've done Rajkosto's method of going from 1.0.0 to 5.1.0, I can use this to restore my NAND dump yeah? And if I dump my current 5.1.0 one I can use it to go back up? Repeat infinite?
Yes. That's the trick. And I don't state enough, that the full backup is made from 3 files. Boot0, boot1 and rawnand.bin

derekzoolander

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because the error is the compare error, try h2testw on your sd card.

So I am using F3 X, which I understand is the Mac equivalent, since I do not have access to a windows PC currently.

Some more info on my problem, the error occurs on the SECOND attempt to continue the NAND backup w/ partial.idx. The first files .00 - .06 appear to write and verify properly. I then place my SD in my computer, remove .00-.06 and re run RAW NAND backup. It then fails after about 4min 30 secs w/ the error posted on the first file, .07. However, when mounting the SD card w/ .07 in my computer, I am getting the same size (bytes) of .07 as the others (tested w/ .06, which appeared successful).

Could this still be an issue with a "fake card"? I would think if the card is fake and having read issues, it would show immediately with files .00-.06, not on the second attempt of continuing the NAND backup.

Hope this helps further clarify.

Last edited by derekzoolander,

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So I am using F3 X, which I understand is the Mac equivalent, since I do not have access to a windows PC currently.

Some more info on my problem, the error occurs on the SECOND attempt to continue the NAND backup w/ partial.idx. The first files .00 - .06 appear to write and verify properly. I then place my SD in my computer, remove .00-.06 and re run RAW NAND backup. It then immediately fails w/ the error posted on the first file, .07. However, when mounting the SD card w/ .07 in my computer, I am getting the same size (bytes) of .07 as the others (tested w/ .06, which appeared successful).

Could this still be an issue with a "fake card"? I would think if the card is fake and having read issues, it would show immediately with files .00-.06, not on the second attempt of continuing the NAND backup.

Hope this helps further clarify.
You can see the .07 file because it was already written.
When it was re-read again to compare it with eMMC, it failed.

Did you try to continue again? It will continue from part .07 again.

h2testw will show you if it's fake on its reported size.

Is there any point in making partial backup as well?
If you mean the SYS and USER partitions, no there's no point.
(It's only for specific uses)

Reactions: Zumoly

derekzoolander

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can see the .07 file because it was already written.
When it was re-read again to compare it with eMMC, it failed.

Did you try to continue again? It will continue from part .07 again.

h2testw will show you if it's fake on its reported size.

Yes, every time I continue it attempts/fails after about the same time. Never moves past file .07.

Results from F3 X indicate card is OK... This makes sense because the partial backup for the first 16GB works fine. Its when I continue from where I left off after removing the first 16GB from my SD that I run into issues.

Edit:
First 16 GB runs fine w/ no errors for approx 55 mins

Second 16GB Tries to resume from same spot, fails after about 4-5 mins w/ the read error

Last edited by derekzoolander,

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yes, every time I continue it attempts/fails after about the same time. Never moves past file .07.

Results from F3 X indicate card is OK... This makes sense because the partial backup for the first 16GB works fine. Its when I continue from where I left off after removing the first 16GB from my SD that I run into issues.

Edit:

Second 16GB Tries to resume from same spot, fails after about 4-5 mins w/ the read error
I'll do a partial backup when I come back from work. And check if it is still working for me.

derekzoolander

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll do a partial backup when I come back from work. And check if it is still working for me.

Its occurring when I do a Raw Full NAND GPP backup w/ an SD card of only 16 GB vs. full size what the NAND backup would be (32GB I understand). My 64GB card arrives tomorrow, I will also test with that card & report back. Ill also run some of the other backup types and see what happens

In case it matters switch is v. 3.0.

Thanks again for your help!!

Reactions: CTCaer

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i do a backup on 4.1 firmware with no exfat support, on a fat32 sdcard 200gb. then I update to 5.1 with exfat support and then reformat the sdcard to exfat. Then let's say I want to restore 4.1 without the exfat would the restore be possible or have an issue reading the exfat sdcard ? I hope I'm making my question clear.

Last edited by comput3rus3r,

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If i do a backup on 4.1 firmware with no exfat support, on a fat32 sdcard 200gb. then I update to 5.1 with exfat support and then reformat the sdcard to exfat. Then let's say I want to restore 4.1 without the exfat would the restore be possible or have an issue reading the exfat sdcard ? I hope I'm making my question clear.
The actual firmware doesn't matter for this.
Hekate supports both fat32 and exfat.
Just format it to exfat right away.

Fs-mitm still does dabug logs and might cause ban? Is it ok to just remove that and still boot exosphere? What's the benefit if any to run stmosatmos "full" instead of just HB?
If you only run homebrew, none at all.
In the future though, it will allow for powerful homebrew.

Reactions: comput3rus3r

grytek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India

Edit:

Same issue. I have tried formatting card, and trying multiple times but same.

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. That means your sd card is fast. Because 45 minutes are needed only for the verification compare (excluding the emmac/sd re-reads).
So, 75minutes = (read emmc + write sd) + (read emmc + read sd + compare the 2 hashes).

If I remember correctly it's SYSTEM. And you basically only copy the file SYSTEM in /backup/restore/partitions/, to only restore this specific partition.
But I'm 90% sure that this will mess your switch. Because you are going to restore any other change made in system.
It's better to not do a partial restore.

If you want to play with this, do a new backup (boot0/1,rawnand) with v3.0, so if your system is fucked from restoring only SYSTEM, you can make a full restore back to where it was.

So the verification fails when reading from sd card. Try to do a format with windows: exFAT, default cluster size.

It does not imply that the backup is bad. It is just not verified that is OK with v2.3 and older.
Yes you can restore it and it will boot. Hekate bypasses the fuses.

Make sure that you do a new full (boot0/1, rawnand) backup on 5.x, so if the 4.1.0 backup has problems, you can restore it back.
But why you want to switch to 4.1?

I've only tried bmps created through photoshop. I'll check gimp and reply back.
(Normally it should have the same options with photoshop. I mean always use GIMP for creating raw images, because photshop meshes with the color contrast.)

With v3.0, all eMMC backups go to /Backup.

The backup is successful in v2.3, because the verification was not working there. Now it works and throws error because it found differences.

I suggest you run h2testw to test your sd card. Another user had this problem, and his sd card was fake. So better check this first, before losing hours with trying to find what's wrong.

--------------------------------------

So here are 2 cents:
  • Full backup is BOOT0, BOOT1 and rawnand.bin.
Why you don't read the captions? Under ----- Full ----- it has 2 options. That implies that when these 2 options are used, then you have a full backup.

• Verification in v2.3 and older was broken!
If your backup fails now, it's good. Because now you know that it's corrupted. If you want a corrupted backup, just go to verification options and disable the verification. Otherwise, it's best to find why it fails.
i used h2z and it didnt find any errors

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a reason when I boot with Atmosphere the photo album opens but not Homebrew menue?

Am I missing a step?

Got the 5.0 sd files and ctcaer 3.0

Must be missing something.

4.1.0 by the way
v5 of the SD files do not work with FW 4.1, also Exosphere does not work with 4.1. Also, 4.1 kernel patches are not correct with this version of CTCaer. I got it working on 4.1 by fixing the 4.1 kernel patches and building my own CTCaer, using the SDFiles v4.1 pack and leaving out Exosphere in my ini file.

Reactions: peteruk

realjumy

Woooosh!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@CTCaer, I'm not sure if you have read the message where I mention you in Twitter (I don't know if you ignore people mentioning you there, as you have DM blocked for people you don't follow). The matter is that I have been reading that inconsistent logs in 5.X can lead to banning. That includes logs that suddenly are empty, when they are supposed to contain some data. Therefore, should not be a good idea implementing the backup and restoration of error logs rather than just deleting them?

Last edited by realjumy,
Reactions: comput3rus3r

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If I remember correctly it's SYSTEM. And you basically only copy the file SYSTEM in /backup/restore/partitions/, to only restore this specific partition.
But I'm 90% sure that this will mess your switch. Because you are going to restore any other change made in system.
It's better to not do a partial restore.

If you want to play with this, do a new backup (boot0/1,rawnand) with v3.0, so if your system is fucked from restoring only SYSTEM, you can make a full restore back to where it was.

I don't mind making a full restore instead of just system :) I don't care about my game saves yet.

so I'm assuming I need to restore emmc boot0/1 and then restore emmc gpp (exfat only ?)

Last edited by Azel,

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Same issue. I have tried formatting card, and trying multiple times but same.
I hadn't any time to check if I broke partial backup..

Isn't SHA256 a little bit overkill for file verification? CRC32 would be more than enough to compare sectors and would be way faster...
Yes because it's hardware sha256. It has the same speed with memcpy.
Check the test results here:
https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/co...af3fc1ce18a673819708ac#commitcomment-29474530

@CTCaer, I'm not sure if you have read the message where I mention you in Twitter (I don't know if you ignore people mentioning you there, as you have DM blocked for people you don't follow). The matter is that I have been reading that inconsistent logs in 5.X can lead to banning. That includes logs that suddenly are empty, when they are supposed to contain some data. Therefore, should not be a good idea implementing the backup and restoration of error logs rather than just deleting them?
Normally I do, but I miss some of them if I don't go to the tweet and check its thread. I don't know why they are not in notifications.
(I'll check the thing about DMs. I didn't know that twitter default PM works like this.)

This is not possible via hekate. The reason is payload size restrictions.
The best way would be to have a kip that does that job. Maybe a modified nx-dreport or a modified Checkpoint. But anything like this is, is out of hekate's scope.

I don't mind making a full restore instead of just system :) I don't care about my game saves yet.

so I'm assuming I need to restore emmc boot0/1 and then restore emmc gpp (exfat only ?)
Yes.
The "exFAT only" refers to your sd card filesystem. Because currently, restore of GPP (rawnand.bin) can only be used with an exFAT card (it's 29.1GB, fat32 restricts to max 4GB).

masterzed

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hi all, what wrong. i am copy all files to sd, start the payplod and load cfw. but is onny blacksceen (fw 2.30)

exfat formated 128 gb sd card

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==