Hacking RB2 Customs - Proof of Concept

thecyanaura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there were no "new releases" this week. the new release section is only used for songs that are just being debuted on all consoles. the last new release we had was Iron Maiden.

You'll notice (coming soon) whenever there are no new releases.

Any back catalog songs are found in the main page of the store.

Sorry for crowding up your thread guys, but it seems like this is going to be the official rock band thread until you release your much anticipated work.

Maurice10

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More useless questions:

Are seperate tracks for each instrument supported?
If there's only a Guitar midi, will the game be like "yeah you can't play drums on this song idiot"?
Is the preview generated by the game from the full song or is there a seperate file for that?
Is album art included?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maurice10 said:
More useless questions:

Are seperate tracks for each instrument supported?
If there's only a Guitar midi, will the game be like "yeah you can't play drums on this song idiot"?
Is the preview generated by the game from the full song or is there a seperate file for that?
Is album art included?
They're pretty sensible questions actually.

Separate tracks - You can import multichannel .ogg files for customs and choose which channels are for which instruments, so the correct sounds will be muted when you miss a note on that instrument. Or if you've only got a stereo .mp3 you can import that and it will still work, you just won't get any muting effects.
Restricted instruments - if the .mid file you use to make your custom song doesn't have PART_* tracks for a particular instrument, it will be disabled for that song.
Preview - Automatically generated.
Album Art - Not supported for DLC in the wii version of RB2, so not supported by RawkSD.

nicko68

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since you guys have an intimate knowledge of how the file structure works regarding RB2 on the Wii, can you tell me what information is kept in the 2 "Rock Band 2 DLC" files stored in internal memory? And is there any type of DLC info stored in the RB2 game save data?

I am curious about the 2 "RB2 DLC" files because one time when my SD card was corrupt and I couldn't access my DLC, I was told (correctly) to delete that file (there was only 1 at that time), reformat my card, and redownload my songs. I was skeptical because I figured it kept track of which songs I bought, but that did work.

fubka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
checking "every hour"
rolleyes.gif

parannoyed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nicko68 said:
Since you guys have an intimate knowledge of how the file structure works regarding RB2 on the Wii, can you tell me what information is kept in the 2 "Rock Band 2 DLC" files stored in internal memory? And is there any type of DLC info stored in the RB2 game save data?

I am curious about the 2 "RB2 DLC" files because one time when my SD card was corrupt and I couldn't access my DLC, I was told (correctly) to delete that file (there was only 1 at that time), reformat my card, and redownload my songs. I was skeptical because I figured it kept track of which songs I bought, but that did work.

It's where the Wii stores the DLC file (preview/song) on the NAND. There's two because the number of DLC for RB2 has exceeded the limit of files allowed for a single title.

nicko68

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
parannoyed said:
nicko68 said:

It's where the Wii stores the DLC file (preview/song) on the NAND. There's two because the number of DLC for RB2 has exceeded the limit of files allowed for a single title.

You mean it's the DLC song (or preview) that you are currently playing? I guess I don't really need to worry about backing those files up to SD then.
smile.gif
So where locally, if anywhere, does the game keep track of which songs you own?

Grim666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My birthday in 12 days, any chance of this being released soon?
wink.gif

Honestly, take as much time as you need, make sure it's all working when you launch it.

HisshouBuraiKen

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So how IS testing going, anyways? Are you guys still hunting and squashing bugs or are things running pretty smoothly?

ALSO: I had a good idea earlier today. It seems somewhat feasible in my head, so hear me out.

Would it be possible to mark rawkSD songs on the songlist with a custom icon like the little DLC arrow? That would eliminate the need for all the song-prefixing hulabaloo and would look pretty cool too. Since the songs are loaded from a different save there should be some way to differentiate them from normal DLC. I'm not saying it wouldn't require a gecko os code or something, so it might have to be optional.

Still, it would be killer to see a circle with a blue "C" next to customs and rips instead of the standard "DLC" arrow.

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I doubt that the blue arrow idea would work because in order for it to be there, it would have to be on the disc and it would have to be looked for in a path for specific DLC.

nicko68

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Will ISO extractions made by WBFS Manager (with files originally created by USB Loader) work ok? I noticed Super Dumper said something about 1:1 backups and that USB Loader doesn't do those.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: colonel, I'm trying to sneak around +1