[Rant] Overpriced Shit

Regiiko

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I thought a Nintendo Wii would be a family friendly gaming console. And cost effective.

But if I just want to play with someone else, here are the cost breakdowns. All in New Zealand dollars.

Console - Comes with 1 Nunchuk & Controller : $500
Additional Nunchuk & Controller : $100+50=$150
Mod chip + Services : $50~

And the total ...

$700, and that's not even with any games!

Bloody hell, if the nunchuk + controller were sold as a set, I wouldn't mind paying $40 for these. But $150? That's just incredibly overpriced. Shit, I don't even wanna know how much xbox 360/ps3 is gonna cost me. My left nut & my future generations' souls, maybe.

I'll stick with my crappy DS and continue to pirate games, thank you very much Nintendo/Other gaming companies. Where's the love for the university students that live on less than $10,000 per year?! Hard to believe that just the console set-up is about 7% of my yearly income ...

And even secondhand stuff is still way out of my price range.

$400 for a console set
let's not forget I want to play with another person, so add another $150
+ modchip which is, let's see $50~

And it's only ... $100 cheaper than retail. At least I saved 1% of my income, right?

Going further down this track, I'm convinced Nintendo want me to become a criminal and rob my fellow neighbours/relatives/grandmothers uncles sons brother's friend/etc of their Wii~

No wonder people fucking pirate shit and have criminal records.

Now what the fuck am I meant to do for the next 5 years while I am stuck in university getting deeper in debt every passing year. Maybe if I save every cent I can, I'll be able to treat myself to a $10 blowjob at the end of my studies.

Regiiko

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As much as I would love to buy one, my current budget just can't afford anything apart from rent, food & paying off student loans.

I feel better now that I've ranted about a small insignificant matter.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
That's about the same as the prices in Europe (700 NZD equals to 380 EUR). It's a shame that western companies (or eastern, if you consider Japan), simply 'convert' the prices from USD to EUR, but without changing the value for all PAL territories. There's a huge difference between 250 USD and 250 EUR. In fact you can get 40 GB PS3 for half the price in Japan, compared to Europe (not sure about Oceania).

But then again, I always remember how expensive US stuff is in some South American countries and feel a little better ...

Still, the dollar value is dropping and I got my Crimson DS (and a lot of other stuff) for mere 75 EUR when importing (my aunt was in Hong Kong).
I also have a contact in USA who will bring me a Zune I got off eBay for 150 EUR (if it was even sold here, I imagine it'd cost at least 299 €). And a 3 EUR Kingston 2 GB microSD from Buy.com (after Google Checkout) ... So I'm saving about 200 €.

That at least helps me to balance my finances. Importing is the way to go.
wink.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always thought it was kind of lame of Nintendo not to sell the nunchuck and WiiMote together, let alone the ridiculous price they are trying to get for them.

xalphax

Internet killed the Ponystar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia

Ice Cold

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wtf? Controllers are 150 there? That's incredibly overpriced. I can't see the nunchuk and controller being more than 80 bucks around here. I know the controller is around 40 but I'm not so sure about the nunchuk.

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apple comes to mind when I hear the words overpriced.
I'm slowly learning this since my first apple purchase; iPod classic. 50$ for a cable to plug it into the tv? And the SD and HD cables are priced the same. Not to mention, for the same price you can just get a dock that has S-Video out built in. That, coupled with the fact that you can no longer use cheaper 3rd party cables with newer iPods, gives me a bad feeling about the whole thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-