KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
OK, so I noticed that whenever I go to see a youtube video of a cover of an original song, a bunch of the comments are something like "F**k u, u ruined the song" or "You a slut, *insert artist here* woud have hate dis". This is especially seen on covers of classics (like covers of Beatles or Elton John or MJ songs). It's starting to get on my nerves. I hate how a genuinely good song is hated upon by people, simply because it's not the original. They just say a direct insult, even if it's pitch perfect. I mean, most of the time, covers aren't better than the originals, but if it's good, it's good. It should be a good thing that they are honoring their idols, but instead, people rant about how it's so much worse than the original. Change even one thing of the song, and people get all sensitive and make angry comments. If they change the tune or a girl instead of boy (or vice versa) people get upset.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Well what can you say?

haters_gonna_hate.gif

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
People who comment on Youtube vids are all Trolls. It's as simple as that. I see no reason for commenting on a vid, they're not going to change the content and the person who posted the vid isn't going to give a toss about the comments anyway, so why do they bother?

Also, loving this picture!..
Infinite Zero said:

kyrael

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well mostly cover versions just plain suck... and i really hate it when emo kids dare to touch classics... when Eisblume covered the song Eisblumen bei Svbway to Sally, i could have torn her body apart and pissed into the remains... there should be a law against making bad cover versions.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like much of the covers I listen to (Pantera's cover of Electric Funeral, Metallica's cover of Iron Man and a Hole in the Sky), however, I must say that Megadeth's cover of Paranoid is absolutely horrible. Yeah, you can argue that the lyrics and stuff are there, but it still sounds like shit.

Dread Zeppelin is a perfect example of how much I respect covers/cover bands.

Whizz

When things don't go right, go left.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tastes differ. That's all there is to it really. Some will like the original better no matter what. Some will say the cover is better when it isn't. Just ignore them if it bothers you.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SixtySixHundred said:
People who comment on Youtube vids are all Trolls. It's as simple as that.
I'm no troll.
trollface.jpg

In many cases though, the cover versions are generally worse, though there are some exceptions, with covers either being widely viewed as better than the original or at least very good in their own right.

I have a thread documenting some (though I can't say I personally agree with all of the decisions).
Here.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
ProtoKun7 said:
In many cases though, the cover versions are generally worse, though there are some exceptions, with covers either being widely viewed as better than the original or at least very good in their own right.
They are worse often, but worse doesn't mean bad already. It's just not as good as the original. I'm just angry that they immediately treat it as bad even though sometimes it's generally quite good or at least decent. A good cover is hated upon simply because it's not the original, as I said. I hate haters.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Saying something is "okay I guess" or "not my cup of tea" or grading it by some measure other than knee-jerk reactions takes more objectivity and maturity than you can expect of the loud obnoxious trolls that have a binary rating system: "ZOMFG BEST EVAR" and "WORST PIECE OF CRAP EVAR". No middle ground. And then there's the "it raped my childhood memories" thing, which happens with all remakes/reboots/covers.

I admit I'm usually hostile towards covers (although I prefer the AAF version of Smooth Criminal too
wink.gif
), but I don't go out of my way to preach about it to others or post comments online or tell anyone about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Not a lot, just relaxing