Ransomware attack targets CD Projekt Red

cdpr.jpg

The developers of Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher video games is the latest company in the gaming industry to have been hit by a ransomware attack. CD Projekt Red made the announcement via a recent tweet, which also contains a copy of the ransom note. In it, the crybercriminals claim that they have dumped full copies of Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3, Gwent and an unreleased version of The Witcher 3. Additionally, they dumped “documents related to accounting, administration, legal, HR, investor relations and more.”

However, in its public statement, CD Projekt Red mentions that they will not cave in to the ransomware demands. “We will not give in to the demands nor negotiate with the actor, being aware that this may eventually lead to the release of the compromised data,” CD Projekt Red wrote.

CDPR also mentions that “at this time we can confirm that — to our best knowledge — the compromised systems did not contain any personal data of our players, or users of our services.”

They have approached the relevant authorities to investigate the incident.

:arrow: SOURCE

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For people that thinks CDPR deserves this, try putting yourself in their shoes where you messed up on something and now got hit with ransomware.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For people that thinks CDPR deserves this, try putting yourself in their shoes where you messed up on something and now got hit with ransomware.
Won’t work. The problem comes from the person thinking that they are owed everything with no ifs and or buts.
People generally have no idea how software development works, so you get to see reactions like this often.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

freestile

Trophies
https://www.youtube.com/user/freestilesteve
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I feel bad for em kind of. I did the stadia promotion and there was nothing that didn't make it a playable
and enjoyable experience. Maybe one or two graphical glitches if you want to call them that. I think the game
froze on me like two times, but I'm on ethernet and I get 600mbps so I'm def getting the 100mbps cap the ccu has. I seen the occasional floating/misplaced character which didn't bother me at all.That freeze could of been anything, but other then that its ran well. I just hope they can somehow continue to patch up what they need to and then get onto some new content for us. If not Stadia I would of got the PS4 version and played it on my PS5 because I'm not sure how my modest 1060 rig would or if it even could have handled it for PC. I use Geforce now so I could of did that , but neverthless I'm happy with how Stadia brought it.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if they leak the source code, does that mean we will get a port of Cyberpunk 2077 to the Switch in the soon future?:wacko:

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I'm more curious what kind of security they had. As it seemed to be very easy for the hackers to get in.
The used a pair of tweezers.

It's not interesting anymore. So many things get hacked nowadays my curiosity has faded.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So if they leak the source code, does that mean we will get a port of Cyberpunk 2077 to the Switch in the soon future?:wacko:
With source code in hand modders will do a better job then cd project red

Reactions: BigOnYa

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
You do realize the devs are mainly affected by this?
They are the ones who made the game, yes. The unoptimized, buggy, ever-delayed for seemingly-no-reason Cyberpunk 2077 game. Yes. Absolutely.

Last edited by Jayro,

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
They are the ones who made the game, yes. The unoptimized, buggy, ever-delayed for seemingly-no-reason Cyberpunk 20177 game. Yes. Absolutely.
"The devs may have been under horrible working conditions, but they made a game I didn't like once, so they deserve to have their info leaked"

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
With source code in hand modders will do a better job then cd project red
That's funny that random internet talents usually do a better job that the original devs, and all these 60 FPS mods for the Switch are proof of that.

"The devs may have been under horrible working conditions"
Is there any proof to back up that claim?

Last edited by Jayro,

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Probably not.
Something like this being leaked would be 10 kinds of too hot to handle* for most devs, and most public projects. This would slow things considerably, even with some kind of desire.

The Switch is also not exactly a powerhouse or that similar to the PC or consoles it is on, and its likely homebrew scene is not going to be up to too much (I know there are some but compared to the heady days of the xbox, wii, GBA, DS and PSP... yeah it is a ghost town).

*there are various levels of "open source" or at least source available. Not counting the open source from the start type games, and not counting games with free binaries that you can stick in a wrapper/emulator.
"full bore have at it with the code and the assets, basically public domain or near enough as does not matter". Don't know that I have really seen much like this outside of a few indy games and games for truly ancient systems.
"engine is open source but the assets are ours". This is what we normally see in the releases from ID and other things. There have been occasions where code is made available and then rescinded.
Some dedicated fans reverse engineer a game cleanroom style. Play it 1000 times and observe all the behaviours, recreate from such a thing. Very time consuming but does make for a more free product that are hard to smack down.
These three will form the bulk of https://osgameclones.com/ with the additional stuff coming from "well it uses the same/broadly similar engine, let's make it speak to the assets from this other game we want to play".
Some dedicated fans reverse engineer a game using less than cleanroom abilities -- disassemblers (see various pokemon, Sonic and Mario efforts), decompilers (see the main Mario 64 before we got the straight up leaked), possibly combination leaked/included data (see Diablo). Theoretically all kinds of legally dubious and able to see legal smackdowns but so rarely attacked it seems, and they usually go after the binaries (though curiously enough the source was gone after for a ds homebrew https://gbatemp.net/threads/cave-story-ds-port-based-on-cse2-decompilation.582377/ ).
Someone hacked in/disgruntled employee hid a USB drive in their underwear and leaked accordingly. This is what this would be, and with the added bonus of coming for both their current engine and their current hotness of a game so likely to see all the ninja lawyers dispatched to shut it down hard. Unlikely to make things truly shut down (hard to get every torrent after all once it is out there) and things can still happen in private/underground (default mode of operation for many in the hacking community and has been for decades, though does rather cut down on people able to help out). Depending upon what goes may also face being cast out of any mod communities for making things as well Dolphin devs commenting on leaks from Nintendo a while back.

So yeah mostly going to be useful for fans looking to fix/alter the game (could actually make it like the hype or like the board game it stems from, and generally having source code you can compile can do all sorts of fun things for mods), shameless Chinese game devs looking for a nice engine (though how nice is a matter for debate), those looking to make game exploits (not always an easy way to make exploits but if you can read source code well enough to find them then you might find more than more play based methods will yield. Much more useful if online anti cheat is the thing you seek to defeat), those curious about the code itself (and looking at what happened to that save overflow thing there is likely some serious janky code to look at here, though likely also some very shiny graphics code) and any game secrets it might hold. Outside chance some things happen for the console versions, and probably only marginally higher for those seeking a Linux version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: might look for one on yt