Hacking r4i trouble

shade7742

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm sure this topic has been brought up loads and loads of times but I have to ask anyways. I recently accidently updated my dsi to 1.4U and I have a feeling my r4i-sdhc will no longer work with the current update since no amount of clearing and reformatting the card will work. Am I correct and if so what do I do?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Miser said:
I recommend Supercard DSTwo.

This is the higher-end option, for sure, I won't deny that at all, but the choice is not without its caveats.

The DSTwo is 2-3 times the price of an AK2i going for $36-40 before shipping cost.
The DSTwo was so recently released, that to my knowledge it is not yet in stock at some US-based distributors that offer more affordable, timely shipping choices. Free shipping from China to the US is not timely, and the option for a consumer to receive a product faster is always important. Admittedly, I have not checked every US retailer though.
Some of the DSTwo's planned features are not yet implemented as of launch such as Video Playback and SNES emulation. In my opinion paying full price for less than what the maunfacturer touted, at launch, (though I do admit does fund the further development of the operating software) is a poor consumer decision in the case of replacing something they were happy with just to trade up.

At less than half the price of the DSTwo, with a good history of support from AKAIO, and an already-existing user base documenting the solutions to every solvable problem found with this product, the Acekard2i is still a good buy.

I am not a DSTwo hater, for the record, I'm just very disappointed with the outcome of the launch because my friend promised me he'd buy himself his first DS system and DSTwo cards for both of us if the DSTwo did everything it said and he could be assured it's not permanently blockable by Nintendo. (I assured him of the latter but he told me I could offer proof when the product was launched so we could discuss other things.) The thing he was most impressed with was the idea of emulating SNES on a handheld, especially with the release of the DSi XL, so I haven't even told him that this flashcart is out now because I don't want to insult his generous offer.

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
exangel said:
The DSTwo is 2-3 times the price of an AK2i going for $36-40 before shipping cost.
AK2i is three times the price of an R4, yet you see people recommending it all the time even if someone specifically asks for an R4. Feature-wise AK2i doesn't have much over R4 for a phat/lite user. SDHC, that's it. DSTwo is in another league with real-time save/cheat/guide, slow-mo, GBA emulation, SNES emulation, video playback, automatic anti-piracy bypass etc.

And don't forget that AK2i doesn't have much official support, AKAIO is unofficial and the releases are slow.

Sure the DSTwo launch was obviously rushed, but I'm confident they'll work it out since the support from them has always been good.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Miser said:
exangel said:
AK2i is three times the price of an R4, yet you see people recommending it all the time even if someone specifically asks for an R4. Feature-wise AK2i doesn't have much over R4 for a phat/lite user. SDHC, that's it. DSTwo is in another league with real-time save/cheat/guide, slow-mo, GBA emulation, SNES emulation, video playback, automatic anti-piracy bypass etc.

And don't forget that AK2i doesn't have much official support, AKAIO is unofficial and the releases are slow.

Sure the DSTwo launch was obviously rushed, but I'm confident they'll work it out since the support from them has always been good.

He has a DSi, R4 is clearly not an option for him. My argument is for the sake of helping the original poster, not arguing with you.

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
exangel said:
He has a DSi, R4 is clearly not an option for him. My argument is for the sake of helping the original poster, not arguing with you.
Mine too.
DSTwo has better value, features and official support. I can't see why you're recommending an AK2i over it.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Miser said:
exangel said:
Mine too.
DSTwo has better value, features and official support. I can't see why you're recommending an AK2i over it.

"Better" and "Value" are totally subjective concepts.

I am suggesting an AK2i as a replacement for an R4i because for $14.95 it is a good choice.

I am also providing information about your recommendation, because at $39.95 it is more than double the investment. In addition, not all of the features advertised are implemented yet, so the value for those features does not count yet. There has not yet been any announcement as to when SNES Emulation and Video Playback features will be introduced into the operating software. I really think that ultimately it's not fair to tell someone that a product is superior in value because it can potentially do great things.

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
There are also cards that are not much more expensive than the AK2i but have more features and official support. Cards like M3i Zero and Supercard DSONEi.

shade7742

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you for all of your help. I however have another question. Before I realized I had replies I bought an r4i ll which is supposed to support 1.4. Now two things were weird with this r4i when I got it today. First it was blue and seemed to be a clone of some sort. Two, when I booted up my dsi it recognized it as star wars lethal alliance. When i tried to start it up the screen went white. Can I get this to work or did i just waste 17 dollars...(which isnt all that bad just annoying)

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with that model. Hopefully some searching will help you find out if other people have had this problem. I don't have a lot of free time right now, so I can't help with that end.

It is a clone though, and even if you can get it to work it is anyone's guess as to whether or not the manufacturer will release updates to the operating software that will let you play newer games as they come out.

If money isn't a deciding factor as to choosing what flashcart to get to avoid problems like that in the future, Supercard DSTwo has a feature that no other card currently has which is a hardware anti-piracy bypass. The difference between that and an Acekard is that, according to Supercard, you will not have to wait for updates to the operating software (as with AKAIO) in order to play new releases with advanced anti-piracy with full functionality. There is also a better build quality to the Supercard cartridge itself whereas the Acekard is known to be rather poor in terms of sturdiness and contact issues.

shade7742

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks. It seems that the card was worthless.... and im out of money no job and my previous r4i will never work on my dsi again. This makes me frustrated....ugh. Thanks again ill look into other cards when i have money

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
shade7742 said:
thank you for all of your help. I however have another question. Before I realized I had replies I bought an r4i ll which is supposed to support 1.4. Now two things were weird with this r4i when I got it today. First it was blue and seemed to be a clone of some sort. Two, when I booted up my dsi it recognized it as star wars lethal alliance. When i tried to start it up the screen went white. Can I get this to work or did i just waste 17 dollars...(which isnt all that bad just annoying)
Might be a stupid question, but since you didn't say anything about setting it up Ima ask it anyway. Did you put the firmware on your microsd card? And did you use the correct one? There's probably an address on the box.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shade7742 said:
thanks. It seems that the card was worthless.... and im out of money no job and my previous r4i will never work on my dsi again. This makes me frustrated....ugh. Thanks again ill look into other cards when i have money

wait a minute. in one of your other posts you said you did reformat the microSD. did you use windows or SD Association Formatter 3.0 to format it? i have heard of similar problems occuring that were resolved by using this software to format instead of windows.

shade7742

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Miser said:
shade7742 said:
Might be a stupid question, but since you didn't say anything about setting it up Ima ask it anyway. Did you put the firmware on your microsd card? And did you use the correct one? There's probably an address on the box.
I tried the r4 firmware from the original site. The site where i got this one sent me to a different one and ive been trying to download that all day..it always stops at 9.7 mb which isnt the full file. I can only assume that its either a broken link...or idk...I havent given up completely yet

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shade7742 said:
Miser said:
shade7742 said:
I tried the r4 firmware from the original site. The site where i got this one sent me to a different one and ive been trying to download that all day..it always stops at 9.7 mb which isnt the full file. I can only assume that its either a broken link...or idk...I havent given up completely yet

You should try downloading the firmware from this mirror then: http://linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...