Hacking R4DS Just got it delivered!

  • Thread starter Thread starter aristo
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 37,654
  • Replies Replies 249
Mavis and I have worked together and put together a site. It will be up soon. It is what plan to use to host firmware upgrades for both the R4DS and M3DSS and will hopefully be better than getting firmware from painfully slow sites. We also plan to host skins there too. If you have any skins, and would rather a actually site instead of megaupload, PM me.
 
Mavis and I have worked together and put together a site. It will be up soon. It is what plan to use to host firmware upgrades for both the R4DS and M3DSS and will hopefully be better than getting firmware from painfully slow sites. We also plan to host skins there too. If you have any skins, and would rather a actually site instead of megaupload, PM me.

That's a great idea. Also, if you want a site better than megaupload, you should try MediaFire.com. It's much more user friendly and has literally no limits. I use it a lot and have no problems, so it's probably the best for uploading skins and stuff, at least until you get the site up.
 
This looks a great piece of kit. The only thing that puts me off is the R4s firmware updates. You know if you get the supercard or m3 your going to have firmware updates for at least a few years. With this if the product doesn't sell that well or the company closes down, will we still get firmware updates?
 
This looks a great piece of kit. The only thing that puts me off is the R4s firmware updates. You know if you get the supercard or m3 your going to have firmware updates for at least a few years. With this if the product doesn't sell that well or the company closes down, will we still get firmware updates?


The M3 owners justify their higher price due to "reputation" and long firmware updates... but honestly who keeps their device for more than a year?

I know most people here went from a CF/SD type device, to a Lite device, and now jumping to a Slot-1 device in a matter or less than 2 years
 
If R4 shuts down, It still wouldn't be a waste. Someone has hacked the R4 and put the M3 OS on it right? We could just do that...If R4 shuts down, we can just use the M3 OS right?
 
This looks a great piece of kit. The only thing that puts me off is the R4s firmware updates. You know if you get the supercard or m3 your going to have firmware updates for at least a few years. With this if the product doesn't sell that well or the company closes down, will we still get firmware updates?



The M3 owners justify their higher price due to "reputation" and long firmware updates... but honestly who keeps their device for more than a year?

I know most people here went from a CF/SD type device, to a Lite device, and now jumping to a Slot-1 device in a matter or less than 2 years

With the M3 the only real reason for some people buying the latest/newest version of M3 is because they want a smaller physical sized cart. And for me it's not enough reason to buy a cart that does the same thing as something you already have.
Other than buying a cart that is physically smaller, they haven't bought anything better than what the original M3 CF already does. But if you have the cash, then it doesn't matter.

Slot 1 devices are really the next gen NDS carts, not the slimmed-down 'lite' Slot 2 devices. But the M3 team does have a good rep for consistent updates and customer support.
 
Mavis and I have worked together and put together a site. It will be up soon. It is what plan to use to host firmware upgrades for both the R4DS and M3DSS and will hopefully be better than getting firmware from painfully slow sites. We also plan to host skins there too. If you have any skins, and would rather a actually site instead of megaupload, PM me.

Great stuff.. Apparently, China's website are going to be super slow until 10th Jan as I hear.
So other people can get their hands on R4 firmware off your site...

Regarding the update of R4 firmware I wouldn't really worry about it..
Since the release of their card which was about 20th Dec (I ordered immediately as It became 24 hour delivery at Divineo.cn)
We had 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04 and 1.05(which is only Chinese), but now it supports custom skin and buttons.
5 updates in 11 days it bloody fast... Problematic roms are getting sorted out quite quickly.

Also, I tried newly release Monopoly rom yesterday... 0788-Monopoly... It detected the rom 100%.(I use firmware 1.04)
Now it removes the suspicion that R4 might had a database of all the rom somewhere like Supercards and NinjaX9.
(I hope, I maybe wrong)

M3 Simply seems like R4 with different sticker and packaging.
It's good to know that someone already hacked M3 firmware to use in R4... I am sure those
firmware is just detecting the chip ID to check whether it's R4 or M3, which is quite easy to remove.
 
Alright, the site is up. Nothing special really, just grab and go. Don't really need to worry about bandwidth as Mavis said. If anyone would like to do an actual site layout, PM me with your layout and if it better than mine (which it probably would be), it will be used on the site. Skins are now up.

Mavis and H8TR's R4 DS / M3 DS Simply Downloads Page
 
great work H8TR on the downloads page! I'm sure it's going to get bigger and better as firmware updates(/hacks) comes along.
 
Anyone here ordered from Gameyeah? Im lost in the Paypal part c.c

I also gave up on Paypal...
sleep.gif
;
Paypal seems like only works properly with North America..
I was on international phone call with paypal helpdesk for about 20minutes
they could help me..
sleep.gif
;
(BUT I thank Paypal if it worked I would have ended up with Ninjapass X9)
 
check this out, i just read that yyjoy has hacked R4DS, a member of YYJOY's reviewing team has turned a R4DS into M3DS with simple tools, and M3DS's kernel!

i tottaly expected this to happen, but not this soon! R4 FTW! ordering one tommorow!


Anyone got any more information on this?
 
And whats the point about hacking R4 and put M3 firm?

Totally useless

Well, imagine that maybe R4 support ends. Meaning no further fixes to upcoming games etc. But M3 continues with their support, then you can continue using the M3 firmware for future games instead.

I would only do this if the above would happend.. that the R4 support team would stop updating their firmware.
 
Right, M3 may develop a better firmware, or vise-versa. Having more options is always good.

Anyway, it looks like a simple hardware change is needed to switch from M3/R4 and EN/CH/JP. Specifically, shortening or cutting of a group of pads. That's the rumor anyway.
 
Right, M3 may develop a better firmware, or vise-versa. Having more options is always good.

Anyway, it looks like a simple hardware change is needed to switch from M3/R4 and EN/CH/JP. Specifically, shortening or cutting of a group of pads. That's the rumor anyway.

after looking at the pics of both the M3 and the R4 boards, there's a shorted pin on the M3's board that's not shorted on the R4's board, so what you said makes sense. However, let's wait for the official word from a more efficient source. It might be just a simple hacked O/S replacement without any need for modifying the chip itself. (Modding the modchip
ph34r.gif
)
 
Yay, That is a nice site that H8TR and mavis made. If I make new skins, I should just pm the links to H8TR right? And where do I get a picture of a black NDS to put my previews on?
 

Site & Scene News