Hacking R4 with N5 firmware 1.25?

kai445

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a quick way to patch N5 firmware to work on the R4.
1. Download the latest version of the N5 firmware.
2. Load _DS_MENU.DAT into your favorite hex editor, and patch offset (DECimal 1664, HEX 680) from 46 to 4F.
3. Encrypt _DS_MENU.DAT with r4crypt.
That's it.

Now, I'm not sure if _AX_MENU.DAT is in any way loaded, I suspect that it may be the underlying bootloader that may somehow patch _AX_MENU.DAT to the firmware, I'm as of yet unsure of how it is designed.

Here is a RAR that is prepatched and precrypted.
It is byte-for-byte identical to the official N5 1.25 firmware with the exception of the one-byte modification above, and recrypting the menu.
http://www.divshare.com/download/5889203-cb7

Disclaimer:
I am not promising that this will give you any additional features or functionality, this is simply a proof of concept. I have not tested it yet to see if there is any difference, as I'm still not sure which ROMs work on N5 but not R4, nor do I currently have any roms to test with. But I do have a spare R4 kicking around, and I was bored, so I did this.

AeroHex

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
i believe n5s updates are in _AX_MENU.DAT witch the r4 cannot read.its will be the same.i heard r4 sdhc on r4 firmware fixes sonic but im not sure if thats true

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
AeroHex said:
i believe n5s updates are in _AX_MENU.DAT witch the r4 cannot read.its will be the same.i heard r4 sdhc on r4 firmware fixes sonic but im not sure if thats true
Actually, the N5 software consists of both _DS_MENU.DAT and _AX_MENU.DAT. I'm guessing _DS_MENU.DAT is a decrypted version of the R4 software, and _AX_MENU.DAT contains some patches to make it work on the N5. Encrypting _DS_MENU.DAT would probably make it work on the R4.

kai445

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm back
smile.gif

I had a few theories, I figured the AK_MENU was either loaded by DS_MENU, or the underlying bootloader somehow loaded both. I just dumped the things onto the TF and it was a stuck "loading" screen, so I did a hex edit compare, saw one was encrypted and the other was not... I just unencrypted the R4 menu to compare, changed a few bytes here and there, and then encrypted it and put it on and it loaded... but...

I didn't see any apparent references to AK_MENU in DS_MENU, so I'm not certain how that works. I do see references to games in AK_MENU, but not sure when the code is loaded or how it patches.

I didn't have high hopes, just playing around
smile.gif

I'll do more testing before I release anything else. Thanks for putting up with me.

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tested this using R4Crypt and still does not work, you'll get the error message "This is Fake!!" after it loads. Ive tested this with numerous clone firmwares and got the same results. The best combination to use if you really want an updated N5 firmware on your R4 is using N5 1.23. I use a dual boot of YSMENU (10.31) and N5 1.23.

You can read up on it here:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=103539

ive been trying to hex edit various firmwares to remove the fake error message but no luck so far..

kai445

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one in the rar I included doesnt need to be modified, just drag-and-drop onto the transflash and it will run (the AK_MENU is already encrypted).

I have a funny feeling AK_MENU isnt loaded. I'll check it out later.

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice, it does indeed load! what exactly did you change to get it to work?? It seems it acts like 1.18 since sonic (save error) or clone wars still dont work. I think youre onto something about the ax_menu not loading and having the patches in there.

kai445

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lithium210 said:
nice, it does indeed load! what exactly did you change to get it to work?? It seems it acts like 1.18 since sonic (save error) or clone wars still dont work. I think youre onto something about the ax_menu not loading and having the patches in there.

I updated my original post to reflect what I did. I changed alot more in the version you downloaded, try the version in the new original post.

I am unclear at this point if AX_MENU gets loaded or how it loads still, but just read OP.

TyRaNtM

I did some projects..
Trophies
Website
www.power-ups.net
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
With this guide, N5 1.26 firmware works in R4.
Trying new games that should be works now, I tested Rubik World (U) and don't work.
I will try Star Wars: Clone Wars.

If this don't work, can be because _AX_MENU.DAT, ALSO need to be edited to work in R4.
Ah, and other thing.. is possible to merge _AX_MENU.DAT and _DS_MENU.DAT in a single _DS_MENU.DAT file?

EDIT: Star Wars: Clone Wars also don't work.
N5 1.26 _DS_MENU.DAT IS a R4 1.18, and the updates ARE in _AX_MENU.DAT.

kai445

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a quick look at N5 1.26... it has the same offset to patch in _DS_MENU.DAT. This patch will work probably in all future revisions of the N5 firmware, but it wont matter because we don't know what _AX_MENU.DAT does other than speculation.

w1lla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Code:
N.a.k.e.d. .B.r.o.t.h.e.r.s. .B.a.n.d. ...T.H.Q.

I think it has a solution for naked brothers band dont know didnt test it if it is used when removed.

jb905

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi, in the new N5 Firmware 1.27, the offset Patch wont will work, can't find 46 in offset (DECimal 1664, HEX 680) also i can't change it from 46 to 4F.
cry.gif

please help !!

w1lla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Offset (Decimal 1656) HEX C6 Thats the one if you would follow the topic but i havent tested anything yet.

Posts merged

Also the ax menu is a copy of the arm.bin of monster lab.

M.o.n.s.t.e.r. .L.a.b...E.i.d.o.s

w1lla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Code:
n5ÂÂ08/03/10ÂÂ?????????????????????R4? GAWA also tinged with harsh heat insulator and now depleted R4. Loading????????????????? Loading in a format worked in the freeze. FAT??????AX????????? FAT HEBO process in the pattern by the placement of AX. AX(0x3801????????????)?_DS_MENU.DAT???? AX (0x3801 bytes moving to a cut?) _DS_MENU.DAT Start. AX????R4????????????????????????? AX jumper by the acquisition of R4 response to the change of command is interesting. ?1.16?1F05h:C9?M3S???? 1.16 The Old 1F05h: C9 of the Japanese M3S

A post on the yasu site.

jb905

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It won't work.Sorry ,can someone here patch the new N5 1.27 Firmware Version for me ,so that it
runs on the Original R4 ?

please post a link for download ,

thanks.......

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jb905 said:
It won't work.Sorry ,can someone here patch the new N5 1.27 Firmware Version for me ,so that it
runs on the Original R4 ?

please post a link for download ,

thanks.......

you can patch newer r4 clone firmware for other cards and get them to work on R4 but ... it will not load anything different or better reason ... different chipset in the clones and also it uses an extra dat file example with the NPLAYER its called _NDONE__.dat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill