Hacking R4 DS Vs Acekard 2

eldhand

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Should I keep my R4 or buy a Acekard 2?

And please explain why, because I know may will say Acekard 2 but I don't really understand the very big different .

And do someone know if I can buy from Amazon.com if I live from Sweden, or If i should buy a acekard 2 where should I buy it, remember I live in Sweden.

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I originally had a v1 R4 that I had purchased a long time ago, got a 1GB Kingston (J) card for it, and kept up to date on firmware. Played lots of games, and absolutely loved the card.

One day I lost it, absolutely could not find it anywhere. Two weeks pass, so I decided I need to do something about it. After reading some reviews and looking around, I order an AceKard 2, a 4GB Class 6 microSDHC, and a EZFlash 3-in-1 (all from DealExtreme).

Alright, so I set it up, put on AKAIO and off I go. The GUI is slick, all games I've tried play fine, and GBA games are sweet too.

So a few days ago I found my R4. It fell down behind my desk and was behind a pile of books.

I gave the R4 away
smile.gif

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you cant really go wrong with getting rid of an r4, your best bet is to sell it, cause there are some suckers who dont understand that the r4 is virtually the worst cart on the market today, you should easily be able to get $50 for it, if not easily more

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
DaMummy
you cant really go wrong with getting rid of an r4, your best bet is to sell it, cause there are some suckers who dont understand that the r4 is virtually the worst cart on the market today, you should easily be able to get $50 for it, if not easily more

--------------------
QUOTE said:
QUOTE(BoneMonkey @ Feb 15 2008, 02:20 AM)
why do you want a acecard why not a r4ds ?*

hehe^^^^the BoneMonkey quote makes me laugh

anywho,
R4= DEAD

AK= ALIVE and kicking

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the ak is a great kit for under 25$ bucks. it has very high rom compatibility, homebrew compatibility, no save limit problems, advanced skinning options, auto dldi support, micro sdhc support, and opensource firmware. well the firmware isn't opensource, but it has been provided so smiths and normmatt can add it to AKAIO. and on that subject AKAIO is the best firmware i have used yet. plus they are open to new ideas and seem interested in keeping the development alive.

you won't regret the purchase. i just picked up an ak rpg and so far i am loving every second of it.

-another world

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing to watch out for is that dreaded "bad batch", just make sure you get one of the Acekard v1.2 (see here)

past that.. the only thing i could say about the Acekard2 is DITTO:

Another World said:
the ak is a great kit for under 25$ bucks. it has very high rom compatibility, homebrew compatibility, no save limit problems, advanced skinning options, auto dldi support, micro sdhc support, and opensource firmware. well the firmware isn't opensource, but it has been provided so smiths and normmatt can add it to AKAIO. and on that subject AKAIO is the best firmware i have used yet. plus they are open to new ideas and seem interested in keeping the development alive.

you won't regret the purchase. i just picked up an ak rpg and so far i am loving every second of it.

Waiting on my ak2 to come back, hopefully v1.2... but enjoying the hell outta my ak rpg in the meantime!

g4med4d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From dealextreme.com

I still kept my R4 as a backup but I've an AK2 and a CycloDS. Love the AK2 UI.
Some games can't be played on the R4 w/o a patch due to lack of firmware updates.

eldhand

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Of course I gonna keep my R4, but I want buy a better flash card.

So dealextreme.com is good, even if I live in Sweden, I mean the shipping price.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
eldhand said:
Of course I gonna keep my R4, but I want buy a better flash card.

So dealextreme.com is good, even if I live in Sweden, I mean the shipping price.
They have free worldwide shipping.

eldhand

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Do they takes bills, if you know what I mean, I'm not that good in english.

But you are from sweden, so I ask on swedish:
Tar dom fakturer eller måste man betala före dom skickar?

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
many people here are just stating that the rpg is a great cart, which is completely true, not its not something that can be compared to ak2, its 2 completely different things, as great as ak2 is, its no match for rpg in any way

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely keep your old R4. While it's not being updated properly, it's worked for me perfectly for a good while now (1.5 years or so). I'm still not sure how well my AK2 will hold up.

pitprop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I still prefer the quick speedy access of the R4 to the acekard 2.

The Acekard GUI looks prettier and has more features ( which in truth you hardly ever use). But the R4 boots straight into the menus fast. I also like the separate media/games options at the start ( i have set the media button to run M3 Sakura as the media player - its much slicker than moonshell).

chiseen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the Acekard 2 does not override the DS Menu, so Download Play can be selected without removing the flash cart.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
pitprop Posted Today, 02:29 PM
But the R4 boots straight into the menus fast
QUOTEI still prefer the quick speedy access of the R4 to the acekard 2
If you want your AK to auto-boot do this...

How to bypass Health/Safety w/o flashme
Some flashcards already automatically bypass the health/safety warning, but some don't auto-boot(AK2, RPG, Cyclo(iirc?)) .
My AKRPG does not, and it bugged me. But flashing seemed a little extreme (and pointless nowadays) to me.
Anyhow, I came across this method by fellow GBAtemper FatD on how to soft-flash your DS.

1.On your DS, configure all settings not done on initial startup (GBA screen, Auto-boot (MUST BE ON), region etc.).

2.Remove your battery for about 15-20 seconds to clear volatile data.

3.Replace battery and go through initial setup, but when it prompts you to press A to turn it off, use the power switch instead.

4.Insert your flashcard and boot 'er up.

You will lose access to pictochat and download play until you complete initial setup (undoing this softmod), though.
The process is fully reversible by booting into the firmware menu and redoing the settings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that's cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
    Veho @ Veho: Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages...