OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've recently just purchased two Acekard 2 units - one for myself and one for a friend's birthday. They were purchased one day apart from DealExtreme and consequently sent in two different shipments.

The second unit I received seems to be a newer revision of the hardware, labeled "ver 2.1".

Differences between the two Acekard 2 units that I have noticed thus far:
  • The newer unit has "ver 2.1" below the Acekard 2 logo on the label.
  • The newer unit has "www.acekard.com www.acekard.kr" as opposed to just "www.acekard.com" on the bottom of the label (for my unit).
  • The newer unit lacks a spring loaded MicroSD slot (there is no spring to break, but the MicroSD card is more difficult to remove).
  • There is a spring loaded MicroSD slot just like the previous version, it just took several days before it started working for my unit.
Here are some high quality pictures of the Acekard 2 ver 2.1, as posted by H4ndy:

ROM Troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the spring load mechanism so far, but I guess the AK2 I ordered this week and hasn't shipped from DE yet will be v2.1. Can you open both of them up to see if only the spring has been removed? If so, once the spring mechanism has broken in version 1, removal of the spring will allow it to continue working.

I wonder if the AKRPG will see removal of the spring as well.

And the guy said .kr not .fr

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you sure there is no spring? I thought mine didn't have one, but it just required some loosening up to get it working - before I did the card was able to be insert/removed, just not all that easily. I imagine initially it was in the closed position, and the RF shield was bent a bit in causing the mechanism to jam.

AgvirtheSilent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@cory1492: I'm pretty sure that it the "Acekard 2 ver 2.1" lacks a spring in the MicroSD card slot based on my observations. That said, I haven't set aside time to try to pry open the case to look inside yet.

UPDATE: Hmmm, it does appear that it does have a spring loaded MicroSD slot, it just wasn't working for a while. It just suddenly worked one day. I never tried opening the card since I was concerned that I could break the clips that hold the unit together.

13375p34k3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've recently contacted Team AceKard asking for a replacement for my defective AceKard 2, and surprisingly they agreed. Saying that they will send me a new version of the AceKard that has a better build quality. So I think that this is it...

PanzerWF

Trophies
Website
zetta.l4rge.com
XP
Country
Canada
wasup said:
I've recently contacted Team AceKard asking for a replacement for my defective AceKard 2, and surprisingly they agreed. Saying that they will send me a new version of the AceKard that has a better build quality. So I think that this is it...

I hope so. It would build my trust in AceKard quality.

shinset

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
any news for this new version ?

pcb picture in good resolution would be great

AK2 is really good except the build quality

ROM Troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better build quality and the two recent price drops at DE sounds like a win win. If you order from DE, go with EMS s&h instead of free. From my experience over a few orders...

EMS - if any of the items are delayed, the available items will go EMS while the delayed items are sent together by air mail.
Airmail - no items go out until all items are available or you say matay (scream uncle) LOL

Since the previous info posted here, I tried canceling my recent order from DE because three of my items were ready but the other three were postponed yesterday for another week; these are all different items. A couple hours after requesting to cancel, I get an email response that my order has now shipped with all six items. Hmm did they magically find the three postponed items or more like took them from other peoples orders that were waiting for different postponed items. Or when the package arrives I'll see the three items are missing. LOL The pain of saving a buck!

ROM Troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent advice I plan to use. And I won't have to worry about loosing an entire order if customs seizes a shipment due to a particular item.

------

Update...now the status shows the three items that were in stock went out and the other three items are still postponed and will go out as a 2nd shipment in a week. So with airmail, if you try to cancel the order because you're tired of waiting, DE will break up the order into multiple shipments. DE will really try your patience as their order procurement / fullfillment system is the worst. And once they have your money they hold onto it like a pitbull LOL

ROM Troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Received my third AK2 yesterday from DE. First two which are not version 2.1 are still working great since July in the hands of two boys 10 and 6.

My early observations for this new version...
1) Blister package did not have the Ultra Guide sticker on it; just the typical DE white tag.
2) The cartridge slides smoothly in and out of my dsLite.
3) The chip in the middle does not stick out as much and actually the front is now flat across.
4) The SD slot seems more snug but the spring load/unload mechanism is working fine.
5) The copper contact area is still exposed.

Formatted a new Transcend 4GB SDHC as FAT16, copied over the latest OEM AK2 firmware, and loaded the card up. No issues so far.

aero125

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
I got 2 Acekard2 delivered to me this afternoon from DX. " V2.1 www.acekard.com www.acekard.kr "

Spring loaded. Both my Sandisk ultra 2G and normal 2G cannot be clicked into the slot and hold there, no matter how many times and how hard I have tried.

My Kingston 2G is OK. Don't understand because the technical build and dimensions of my Kingston seems no difference to the 2 Sandisks ... really don't understand.

Tested the carts with v4.08, they worked fine. All the games worked, including those reported to have problem such as CarnivalGames, Hulk, Riku_ , Daigasso ..

It took me a while to find out that the save file format is different from R4, *.nds.sav instead of *.sav

I'm still thinking if it is necessary to replace v4.08 with AIO 1.2 ....

ackix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.xdupe.com
XP
Country
France
Hello,

I have received a sample from AceKard team to make a review, and it was a v2.1 too. The spring loaded micro sd slot worked since the beginning but the build quality isn't very good and the cartridge had some problems to get into the DS the first times I used it.

However, it now works great.

You can look at the review on my website to see some pictures :
http://www.xdupe.com/nintendo-ds/linkers/a...d-2-review.html

@aero125 : I use AKAIO, it has more features and I encountered no bug yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-