Hacking Hardware Homebrew r4 solution

unknownentity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A friend of mine just acquired a Nintendo DS lite and I suggested he get an R4 however I am not one who is too familiar with modding via physical stuff, I mostly do software modding, ie letterbomb for the nintendo wii. So my question here is which R4 should I be looking out for and or buying and where should we be getting one??? I know the r4 is quite old but any help would be great.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A friend of mine just acquired a Nintendo DS lite and I suggested he get an R4 however I am not one who is too familiar with modding via physical stuff, I mostly do software modding, ie letterbomb for the nintendo wii. So my question here is which R4 should I be looking out for and or buying and where should we be getting one??? I know the r4 is quite old but any help would be great.
Dsone clone is an alright card as well as the ace3dsplus

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Keep in mind the original R4 and its 100% clone only supported 1 and 2 GB microSD cards. Yes, it's that old. Back in the days, I liked using my Acekard. I have no idea if they're still being sold. Anyway, I recommend getting something that is supported by RetroGameFan's firmware for best compatibility.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally recommend getting a DSONE, although they seem to have a high DOA failure rate. But imo it's the best cart available right now since it has a decent kernel and exclusive features.

Second choice would either one of the Ace3DS carts (Plus or X - they're both pretty much the same minus Ntrboot afaik). This uses an outdated kernel (certain games with AP will have to be pre-patched), but it's a widely known brand and on the market right now.

Third choice would be the r4isdhc.co.hk and r4isdhc.co.cn carts (they're both the same). Also uses an outdated kernel like the Ace3DS. Not much difference functionality-wise from it, either.

Last choice is the r4isdhc.com, solely because it has a time bomb in the kernel (can't be used beyond a certain date), although this can be bypassed by using YSMenu instead.

Honorable mentions:
Acekard 2 - Great kernel, but no longer being sold; even clones are gone (although there is a listing we think may be an Acekard, but not exactly sure).
DSTT - Okay cart, but not really worth buying over an DSONE, Ace3DS or even a r4isdhc.co.hk cart - No longer being sold (although it is currently for sale in limited quantities).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4