Hacking R4 DS skins

SkH

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
after reading 50+ pages, i have to say kiruyama's R4/DS skin is my fav!!
beautiful and thanks!

BTW does anybody have a good .ini for this skin?
1169337188_PREVIEW.jpg
Yeah, I have, I created for it a professional theme.ini!
wink.gif
Looks like original!
smile.gif

brn

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm working on a theme based upon the FF XII-gui but I've encountered a huge problem with the displaying of gradients. Anyone of you got any tips on how to fix this or is it a problem with the R4 firmware that brings down the colours so much? Maybe dithering will work?

UPDATE!
Here's the finished icons.bmp but I'm still missing a way to get the gradients smooth. I've tried saveing as 64 colour dithered gif and then saving that as bmp and all sorts of weird ways but the image just gets more and more fucked up. While fiddling with the saves Photoshop accidently crashed so I lost my psd-files but the original bmps are intact save for background1 but I have the gif and it looks ok still. If anyone of you could figure this problem out (please use my icons.bmp as a test) I'd appericiate it
smile.gif

iconshz9.png

EDIT: shiiiit, just remembered I fucked up the icons.bmp too! 5 hours of hard work just ruined.

FUCK.

marth989

Trophies
Website
profile.myspace.com
XP
Country
@bobrules, i will hopefully be re issuing them tonight

so it wont be long, but this time ill put all 3 in one zip file

and im making a set of 3 the same style that will work better with black ds

enjoy blurry Gear for now
biggrin.gif

procrastix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@brn

There's no way to fix the image gradient problem. It has to do with the DS's display. You can check out some games which use that (ie Game&Watch) and you'll see what I mean. The best way to do it is to use gradients similar to something like the battle background for FFTA. You'll still be unable to avoid the jaggies though.

BTW great icons.bmp! IMO I'd look nicer without the DS lite on the left, though...

rice151

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I should be getting an R4 soon, so I started to experiment with skinning.
Well, I'm a fan of Korean music so I'm just messing around with pictures that I have, and resizing them to DS resolution. Here are previews, I think they came out well using MSPaint
tongue.gif

18878808.5e8d4e.jpg
18878806.a67dcc.jpg

18878807.3607c8.jpg
18878809.1084a4.jpg

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I should be getting an R4 soon, so I started to experiment with skinning.
Well, I'm a fan of Korean music so I'm just messing around with pictures that I have, and resizing them to DS resolution. Here are previews, I think they came out well using MSPaint
tongue.gif

cheonsangjiheemyeverythingTITLET.jpg
levisb10246title.jpg
Missha_3t.jpg

There is a reason there is a screen separation template available. Most people prefer that the images are not split by the hinge, but continue under it.

rice151

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aww, that was one question I had...I saw the template but I decided not to use it, I'll try it again right now
thanks for the tip!

EDIT Got a bigger NDS Template and followed through the first picture
biggrin.gif

Missha_3tREAL.jpg
>
Missha_3t.jpg

brn

Trophies
XP
Country
@brn

There's no way to fix the image gradient problem. It has to do with the DS's display. You can check out some games which use that (ie Game&Watch) and you'll see what I mean. The best way to do it is to use gradients similar to something like the battle background for FFTA. You'll still be unable to avoid the jaggies though.

BTW great icons.bmp! IMO I'd look nicer without the DS lite on the left, though...
I've been thinking about this since last night and I've come to the conclusion the R4 (and some games*) displays images in 16 bit (no matter what bit they actually are, and lower 8 bit-images gets corrupt) to save CPU, so if I save the image in 16 bit it should look somewhat like how it displays on the DS. I'm gonna be searching for an app that can convert images into 16 bit BMP with dithering so that I can control the loss of colours. It's either that or the R4 team gives us 32 bit skinning.

*Some apps like Moonshell does not seem to have this problem, I'm not sure but I can try this theory next week.

nds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...