Hacking R4 DS owners roll call

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
At home now, in front of me is the R4 DS box and extras with the microSD reader happily transfering ROMs to my microSD card.
biggrin.gif
Can't wait to load 'em up!

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
At home now, in front of me is the R4 DS box and extras with the microSD reader happily transfering ROMs to my microSD card.
biggrin.gif

I know someone already said it performed perfectly with a regular sandisk card.
But can you do some testing on some particular games?

Metroid prime pinball
Tony hawk downhill
Animal crossing
Castlevania PoR

also if possible, can you check how .dpg playback performs? Strange noises, sudden lags etc, stuff like that. Thanks
biggrin.gif

hereticorp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got an R4 here.

R4 - Divineo.cn ($45.00)
2gb Sandisk MicroSD - Shentech.com ($71.00)

Looking forward to it's arrival in the next couple days.

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
biggrin.gif

I know someone already said it performed perfectly with a regular sandisk card.
But can you do some testing on some particular games?

Metroid prime pinball
Tony hawk downhill
Animal crossing
Castlevania PoR

also if possible, can you check how .dpg playback performs? Strange noises, sudden lags etc, stuff like that. Thanks
biggrin.gif

I will be testing it with Castlevania PoR, Tony Hawk's and Animal Crossing. If you could send me a .dpg file to playback I'd gladly test it for you
smile.gif

Xurreal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Both my R4 and microsd card arrived today. Talk about great timing, it would useless if I received one before the other.
smile.gif

For some reason I was picturing a big sized box like a pc game box, was quite suprised how small the overall package was.

Edit - Just like to throw in the fact I ordered the r4 from cheapmod.net and 1 gig kingston microsd from mymemory.co.uk

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I will be testing it with Castlevania PoR, Tony Hawk's and Animal Crossing. If you could send me a .dpg file to playback I'd gladly test it for you
smile.gif

Excellent!
I just uploaded a dpg file, ~8mb with a playtime of around 1 min.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=37HJQ110 (No worries staff, nothing illegal
wink.gif
)

Thanks again
grog.gif

Do you have MSN or something? I can't download from MegaUpload or RapidShare etc.

Played a few minutes of Castlevania PoR, works flawlessly from what I can tell
smile.gif

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd just like to update a little bit on the status of my order because it might help some other people out.

I ordered my r4 from modchipstore.com on Monday, but it didn't ship until Tuesday because of the holiday. According to the tracking info, it arrived in a nearby city this morning (Wednesday), but wasn't due to come to my doorstop until Friday.

Since it was in such a close location, I just asked if I could go to the delivery office and pick it up, which they said wouldn't be a problem.

So, essentially, I got my r4 and two day delivery (essentially overnighted because new years day didn't count) for $51 and about 15 minutes of driving.

And it's not like this shipped from anywhere nearby, either. I'm in mid Michigan, and the r4 shipped from Texas.

Highly, highly recommended. If you're looking for the best possible way to cheaply get an r4 quickly, this might be the way to do it.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just received mine today. Pretty much next day delivery since they are in Dallas and so am I.

I have Kingston (Taiwan) 1GB MicroSD formatted with FAT32.

Animal Crossing doesn't appear to have any slowdown (maybe when you pull the menu up it has the slightest of lag).

Metroid Pinball doesn't seem to have any slow music or slowdown.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow's intro video worked flawlessly, except for a split-second jitter near the end. But I'm talking super-split-second.

All these ROMs were trimmed.

I tried playing some MP3's from the built-in Moonshell and there was stuttering in the music every now and then. (anyone know what can help this? maybe formatting to FAT16?)

Some other things to note:
The package is small. Smaller than a regular sized CD.
The little keychain game case has some really nice rubber inside to hold your games in place.
The included USB MicroSD reader looks nice and has a blue light.
The R4 will boot to the R4 regardless if you want your DS Lite to boot to the DS Lite menu or not.
The R4 will show the DS Lite health warning screen, then automatically pass it!
I have a little trouble pulling my MicroSD card out of the R4 to the point that I have to sort of slide it back and forth sideways until it comes out. The card fits in other devices fine though.

I know a lot of people are testing ROMs, but I'll add to the help. If anyone wants anything specific tried, I'll do it all tonight. Just reply or PM.

screamster101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Got my R4 and I LOVE IT. I am returning my broken DS-X tomorrow. (They are still trying to figure out the "qkin" issue.) Interface is a little cheesy, but the functionality is great! I hope they keep up with the firmware updates and such. They have a hit on their hands so far.
biggrin.gif

pitprop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Both my R4 and microsd card arrived today. Talk about great timing, it would useless if I received one before the other.Â
smile.gif

For some reason I was picturing a big sized box like a pc game box, was quite suprised how small the overall package was.

Edit - Just like to throw in the fact I ordered the r4 from cheapmod.net and 1 gig kingston microsd from mymemory.co.uk

Did you get an item shipped email from cheapmod ?
I ordered from them yesterday morning . I noticed in the evening the site changed to say its a pre-order on the R4 ( expected 8th Jan).. I only ordered from them cos they had stock in the UK ( or so i thought). I suspect i am going to have to wait till next week for delivery now which is very dissapointing when paying the extra cost ( over chinese suppliers) expecting quicker delivery.
cry.gif

HayateSlash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jesus

mine arrives tomorrow but is quite fast since i've ordered it tuesday at GameBank.jp

also, for people in Asia(specifically Japan), avoid buying at HPMAX.jp

one of the crappest online service i even seen

now i'll start collecting all the goodies for my R4
bow.gif

grog.gif

slowness

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got mine today well yesterday? when ever Wensday was
Texas to Cali pretty quick from modchip i ordered at around 11PM on Dec 31st from modchipstore and i also ordered a microSD from newegg same day. at modchipstore i used the 2day air shipping.
this is my first flash card and i am actually quite fond of it already and am gladly to recommend it and the store as well
and im one of those really anal people that wait forever to compare things and i ended up with an R4 and since reading about the M3 being practically identical i didnt feel the need to waste anymore time but i guess theres loyal M3 owners and i hear they have a great update thing going on or something.
o yea and so far i havent encountered any game problems either. everything runs smooth as far as i can tell atm and will let you guys know if i find something wrong. R4 1.04v

Newegg
Kingston 1GB MicroSD USD $24.99 Base
+$ 2.06 Tax
+$ 4.99 Shipping
=$ 32.04 Total

ModChipStore
R4DS Slot-1 MicroSD USD $ 44.95 Base
+$ 9.95 Shipping
=$ 54.90 Total

and yea it does come with the little keychain which seems pretty damn solid. i actualy kinda had trouble taking out the r4 when i first opend but is probably cause of my fat fingers. and also yes it came with 2 cases one white one black if anyone is still wondering. almost forgot yea i can confirm the blue light on the usb card reader/writer is neat
lecture.gif

screamster101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well... Here is my quick review.

This card kicks major a$$! I had the ds-x, but I am RMA'ing it soon. (doesnt even work right)

I have tried movies, games, and music. All work GREAT! Heard download play does not work on certain games. I dont care though.

Gonna buy another 2 GB card right now! W00T!
nyanya.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Inflation and greed