Hacking R4 Deluxe and its requisite problems

aubrey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought an R4 Deluxe. That cheap clone you've probably never heard of. I live in Thailand at the moment and have limited choices.

The bulk of the problem is that it won't play many games. Does anyone have this cart and know how to get around its crappiness?

The details of my experience goes like this:
1. Received R4 Deluxe "with 10 free games!"
2. All games worked, including Kirby's Canvas Curse.
3. I downloaded Chrono Trigger, Hello Kitty: Big City Dreams (for my wife, of course), and Sonic Chronicles.
4. Chrono and Sonic load to a completely white screen. Hello Kitty does the same after the initial menu screens work.
(I understand Chrono and Sonic may have copy protection, but I believe at least Chrono should let me get to the teleporter, much less load the menu.) I've also downloaded other games that have actually worked, like Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time.
5. I tried updating the OS, but did not yet know I had a cheap clone of an R4. I got the R4 OS working with some finagling, but no changes to existing problems and now Kirby's Canvas Curse won't work too (same white screen).
6. Finally found the proper R4 Deluxe OS, but it changed nothing except it made the R4 menus work properly.

As a side note, I'm having trouble getting the Cheats to work predictably. I don't generally use cheats but getting Chrono Trigger to work is one of my overarching goals.

Blah.

If anyone has experience with the R4 Deluxe, please help. Or if you have general tips and hints that you think might apply, thanks.

Or if you know where I can get a good flash cart around the Pattaya/Ban Chang area of Thailand, let me know that too!

Edwii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have the R4 deluxe Chrono trigger works perfect for me most games always work for me, some times they wont in which case i will delete and reload the rom, that can cure it, if it dosnt i down load the same game uploaded by some one else, and almost always fixes the problem, also i will run defrag on the card and it can help too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Was a dark time