Hacking R-III cheat problem solved

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright folks, I've known a few people (including myself) who use the actually pretty excellent R4 clone, R4-III, and are having some problems getting the cheats to work.

Edit: Before you do any of this, though, make sure to replace the Cheat.Dat file in the _system_ folder with the latest one found here: www.cheats.gbatemp.net. Always check for updates as well, and always repeat the following process after updating. Narin's signature holds the latest update, and he has generously posted below.

No, I'm not talking about not having the cheats button show up, that can be fixed with correct configuration of the cheats file.

What I AM talking about, however, is the cheats seeming to automatically "reset" themselves to default (I.E. nothing turned on) setting.

I am unsure if the source of this problem lies with the card or the R4-III firmware. What I am sure of, however, is that something is not letting you modify the CHEAT.DAT file to have a code enabled, and therefore working in a game.

To fix this, you need the R4CCE (R4 Cheat Code Editor), a program that lets you create and modify the Cheat.Dat file. (You can find how to set this up in other topics.)

Open the R4CCE, and click on File, then "Open...". Find the Cheat.Dat folder that you are currently using in your R4-III.

When the Cheat.dat opens, find the game, folder, and cheat you wish to activate.

On the right hand side of the screen, after you've clicked on the code you wish to activate, click "Enable Code". This will do what your R4-III cannot; change the Cheat.dat file to have the code enabled.

Click "Save". Do not change the name of the Cheat.dat folder.

Put your MicroSD card back in your R4-III, and play.

P.S. If anyone can confirm that they can change their codes to "on" using the Save&Exit button in the R4-III, I can deduce whether this is a firmware issue or a hardware issue.

Oh, and sticky requested.

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I did. The problem is that the R4-III, at least the one I was using as well as some friends, wouldn't let you modify the file to turn any codes on.

So what I'm saying is, you have to modify the file using the R4CCE, and click "Enable Code" to turn the code on manually.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Wolvenreign said:
That's what I did. The problem is that the R4-III, at least the one I was using as well as some friends, wouldn't let you modify the file to turn any codes on.

So what I'm saying is, you have to modify the file using the R4CCE, and click "Enable Code" to turn the code on manually.
Ah I see, why not simply use YSMenu on your R4 clone? It has better cheat compatibility and features.

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was trying it at the time, wasn't working so well. I got so confused and was trying so many different experiements on the card that I ended up just making a big ol' backup of all the games I had on there, reformatting the card, and putting the latest R4-III firmware on it, hoping it would fix everything.

Well, the code problem persisted, so I spent the whole day figuring this out. Figured I should lend the knowledge out to the source that gave me the most help.

Kudos, Narin, for everything you do for everyone. Even though I only need cheats for piracy bypasses. =P

Oh, speaking of which, R4-III users, don't bother with the Chrono Trigger patch. It won't work. Just go with my method and turn the Non-M3 Real Piracy Bypass code on manually through R4CCE.

P.S. Any chance for a sticky?
biggrin.gif

P.S.S. Doggonit, can a mod fix the topic title so it says "R4-III"? It's bugging the heck outta me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, thx in advance
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, thx in advance +1