Hardware Questions for 3DS owners

tyrran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
One question. Does the battery life of the 3DS seem significantly shorter as compared to the previous DSes you have played (after a full charge)?

The battery life on the 3DS is much better than people seem to make it out to be. I've clocked myself being in standby with the Wifi on for three days before needing to recharge, and that includes opening the lid for a couple quick games of Street Fighter during that time.

Earlier, someone mentioned the top screen going dim when you turned on the 3D. I believe that is due to the "power save" mode being on (which, by the way, being able to change the brightness without needing to go into settings is a godsent). You can turn the power save mode on and off effortlessly, though I have noticed a substantial change in battery life with it on.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@wireles
if you have x64, then you cant install it
i thought the x86 win 7 would install the connector

an idea would be to download virtual pc 2007, install xp on it and give that a try

wireles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
bigpaws said:
@wireles
if you have x64, then you cant install it
i thought the x86 win 7 would install the connector

an idea would be to download virtual pc 2007, install xp on it and give that a try

Thanks, will keep that in mind.

Oceanborn712

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tyrran said:
chris888222 said:
One question. Does the battery life of the 3DS seem significantly shorter as compared to the previous DSes you have played (after a full charge)?

The battery life on the 3DS is much better than people seem to make it out to be. I've clocked myself being in standby with the Wifi on for three days before needing to recharge, and that includes opening the lid for a couple quick games of Street Fighter during that time.
The standby isn't the problem here. In Standby it's no different from a smartphone in standby. Just like with a smartphone the battery drain comes from the displays and the processor running at high frequency to play stuff.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Figured that this is the best place to ask this
tongue.gif

2 questions related to the charge cradle.

1) can a DSi charger fit into the cradle port?
2) if i were to buy the 3DS from amazon (US), and the charger given is 110V, can the cradle accept 230V which is the voltage supplied in singapore?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Oceanborn712 said:
tyrran said:
chris888222 said:

The standby isn't the problem here. In Standby it's no different from a smartphone in standby. Just like with a smartphone the battery drain comes from the displays and the processor running at high frequency to play stuff.
I refer to playing the 3DS actually
tongue.gif

Like if i were to play pokemon black on the 3DS and the same game on a DSi, does the battery seem significantly draining very fast?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
Like if i were to play pokemon black on the 3DS and the same game on a DSi, does the battery seem significantly draining very fast?
I've heard people saying that, because the 3D screen isn't in effect, you get more time playing DS and DSi games.

HunterJ

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
QUOTE(chris888222 @ Mar 26 2011, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTEI've heard people saying that, because the 3D screen isn't in effect, you get more time playing DS and DSi games.
I tested this for you. I played pokemon white and its been five hours and not even on half battery yet ^^

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HunterJ said:
QUOTE said:

QUOTEI've heard people saying that, because the 3D screen isn't in effect, you get more time playing DS and DSi games.
I tested this for you. I played pokemon white and its been five hours and not even on half battery yet ^^
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the testing! That is some great news!
biggrin.gif
wub.gif

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
HunterJ said:
QUOTE said:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
biggrin.gif

Wow, the 3DS battery sure lasts longer than i expected.

BUT, what if 3DS games in 2D mode?

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
chris888222 said:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYir7M00ef4[/youtube]

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MakiManPR said:
chris888222 said:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYir7M00ef4[/youtube]

He has a massive crack down the 3ds screen already? :S What do people do with their stuff? seriously.

Did you guys notice when he first puts the 3ds down it doesn't have a crack? and then it skips a frame and a crack appears. I think he dropped the clock on it? lol

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
biggrin.gif

Wow, the 3DS battery sure lasts longer than i expected.

BUT, what if 3DS games in 2D mode?
People have been saying that, in 2D mode, the battery life is maybe 5-8 hours. I can't confirm that though.

Melee54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Seems my question was forgotten on page two. Would be cool if someone could answer -

While playing at best buy yesterday, I noticed that whenever I turned 3D mode on, the top screen became dim. Can I stop that from happening?

TheNikkoMan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
chris888222 said:
Figured that this is the best place to ask this
tongue.gif

2 questions related to the charge cradle.

1) can a DSi charger fit into the cradle port?
2) if i were to buy the 3DS from amazon (US), and the charger given is 110V, can the cradle accept 230V which is the voltage supplied in singapore?
1) No way.
2) I'm no electrician, but I'm pretty sure it can't. Think you'll need a voltage transformator. But some1 should confirm this.

QUOTE(Melee54 @ Mar 26 2011, 03:42 PM) Seems my question was forgotten on page two. Would be cool if someone could answer -

While playing at best buy yesterday, I noticed that whenever I turned 3D mode on, the top screen became dim. Can I stop that from happening?
I've noticed that too. I haven't found any way to turn that off, so it's probably some physics in the picture. Maybe stereoscopy just makes it darker? It doesn't bother me at all though.
While on that subject; if you turn the 3D off, the screen will flicker just a tiny second when changing to/from 3D. Changing between 3D levels doesn't do this.

This is my second day with the 3DS. My eyes aren't soar, neither are my little brothers, no bad buttons/cracks/bad hinges, anything. Also the battery is much better with brightness at 1, and power saving.
Edit: The activity log says me and my brother have been playing for 4:37 hours now, on one charge, and I have 2 out of 4 battery lines left. This is with wireless on 50% of the time, lowest brightness, power saving, and 3D at full. I'd guess that the sound has been pretty high as well.

Melee54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TheNikkoMan said:
I've noticed that too. I haven't found any way to turn that off, so it's probably some physics in the picture. Maybe stereoscopy just makes it darker? It doesn't bother me at all though.
While on that subject; if you turn the 3D off, the screen will flicker just a tiny second when changing to/from 3D. Changing between 3D levels doesn't do this.

That seems sort of frustrating. I'm having buyer's remorse like crazy and I haven't even gotten it yet. Hopefully it surprises me and I'll keep it rather than sell it.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Melee54 said:
TheNikkoMan said:

That seems sort of frustrating. I'm having buyer's remorse like crazy and I haven't even gotten it yet. Hopefully it surprises me and I'll keep it rather than sell it.
If that not the most nitpicking I every heard.
glare.gif

TheNikkoMan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Melee54 said:
I don't find it frustrating. I can't imagine myself turning 3D on and off constantly, I just do it once in a while. The flicker is also very minor.

Melee54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Melee54 said:
TheNikkoMan said:

glare.gif

lol, it doesn't just "flash" briefly, it stays dim. I'll have it set to brightness lvl 5 in 2D mode, but as soon as I switch on 3D, the brightness drops to level 4. And yeah, to me, that does matter. Y'know, since it costs $265 at gamestop after tax. I've never spent this much on a game system before, so that's why I'm expecting a lot from it.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Melee54 said:
KingVamp said:
Melee54 said:
TheNikkoMan said:

glare.gif

lol, it doesn't just "flash" briefly, it stays dim. I'll have it set to brightness lvl 5 in 2D mode, but as soon as I switch on 3D, the brightness drops to level 4. And yeah, to me, that does matter. Y'know, since it costs $265 at gamestop after tax. I've never spent this much on a game system before, so that's why I'm expecting a lot from it.
With everything the 3DS contains and light is a deal breaker? Really?

Just out right nitpicking.

I never even heard about that dimming before.

3D could be making it look like it brighter than it already is. (not saying as fact.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond...