Gaming Question to anyone who has done Data Transfer on PS3

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, sometime this week im going to gamestop to Data Transfer to a new PS3 Slim, then trade my Phat in, and i was just wondering a few things

1. If you have shared games on your PS3 (As in traded with someone else), will they work on the new PS3? (I have a ton of them, like 250+ dollars worth, and the majority of the people have changed thier passwords and/or quit PSN, so its impossible to redownload them)

2. Do BOTH PS3's need to be on the newest firmware? (Since i know a new one comes out tommorow, would i need to download it to a Thumb Drive and update both PS3's even if i transfer offline?)

Also, a side question.

Is it possible to transfer with an External Hard Drive? (Also, if so, would it be possible if the Hard Drive is partitioned)

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
as far as i know:

- data transfer can transfer all your files (even the protected ones) to another PS3 that youre going to transfer too.

- some games might need re-activation, so to do this, you must unregister the other console for those games you installed there, and re-register it to the new one. You dont need to re-download them, just re-activation. And re-activation needs relogging of the account you used to download those games to re-activate again.

- yes they need atleast the firmware 3.10 or above to do transfer utility.

- ex-HDD is not possible, the transfer can only be done with two PS3 connected to the network using a Router.

edit: typo error

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yeah, thats the only issue i keep coming across, out of all the accounts i shared with, only 2 of them were actually friends, half of them are inactive, and the other half probally wont let me re-activate (Seeing as you have to relog into PSN, unless there is some way to reactivate without having to log in)

But.....judging from your post, SOME games still work directly after being transferred?

Also, i thought you transferred by connecting one end of the Ethernet cord into each PS3 O_O

Also, holy crap 1000th post
ohmy.gif

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
well some games doesnt really need reactivation.. (specially the old PSN games) so yes, some games might still work.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bleh, guess its worth a try then, the greater majority of the stuff i have is old. Seeing as they are inactive anyway and the accounts have changed PW's, i guess ill leave them activated in the hope that they work.

Thanks for the help, i guess a brand new reliable PS3 is better than turning my PS3 on each day and hoping it doesnt die.

If anyone has actually had experience with what im asking, your welcome to still post

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
don't forget you need a LAN cable, using a normal ethernet cable does not work, can you also tell me if copy protected gamesaves transfer over, i have heard mixed feedback if they do or not.

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
LAN cable? is there such cable like that....

*googles*

ohh, LAN cable is just the same as "ethernet" cable. Theres no difference between them anyway. (they have the same pin/wire assignements.. so it was obviously the same)

But the cable youre talking about, we call it here as "Ethernet Cable" because that's what we originally call it anyway, they used to call it LAN cable because it was commonly call the thing LAN on our computers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Why does Psi have PMS?