Hacking [Question] Possible to Dump Game Header without Gateway?

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes. Not possibly either... you can. Instead of risking a ban by doing a memory dump on 3DS you can use memory dump on PC while game is connected to powersaves.

Here's the bad news: I'm tired. Been up since 3am. Did a lot of running around today. And I still don't know exactly which parts I have correct, but I have my suspicions...

As soon as I get up I'll see what I can find and write a quick tutorial. Then I'll sit down and start on master tutorial for Sky3DS.

I hope you have a powersaves dongle. If not, go get one. Hopefully by the time I wake up. You can buy one at gamestop for $30. Make sure you get the Powersaves Pro 3DS. It only works for 3DS games.

And HxD editor. Get ready to read some hex code.

If this is really true, you sir, are awesome.

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes. Not possibly either... you can. Instead of risking a ban by doing a memory dump on 3DS you can use memory dump on PC while game is connected to powersaves.

Here's the bad news: I'm tired. Been up since 3am. Did a lot of running around today. And I still don't know exactly which parts I have correct, but I have my suspicions...

As soon as I get up I'll see what I can find and write a quick tutorial. Then I'll sit down and start on master tutorial for Sky3DS.

I hope you have a powersaves dongle. If not, go get one. Hopefully by the time I wake up. You can buy one at gamestop for $30. Make sure you get the Powersaves Pro 3DS. It only works for 3DS games.

And HxD editor. Get ready to read some hex code.

I took a look at this last night too, my header ID appeared in multiple places but not in any pattern

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay... I'm not positive, but I could use some help, so let's see what we can figure out:

YOU WILL NEED:

Original game cartridge (duh)
Powersaves Pro 3DS Dongle (duh)
PC running windows (super duh)
Powersaves Software installed on this PC. (major super duh)
DxH hex editor. http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Once you have all of the above installed and running on your PC, plug in your dongle with game.

While Powersaves is open and connected (because we're going to peek under her skirt) we then open HxD.

In HxD You will see... nothing. At first. Select on top menu EXTRAS>OPEN RAM>POWERSAVES.EXE or SHFT+CTRL+R>POWERSAVES.EXE

Now you should be looking at hex decimals on the left, with a bar of plaintext code on the right.

Now just go to top menu and FIND> "NCSD"

When you do this, you'll notice that the plaintext you highlight on the right also highlights the corresponding hexdecimals on the left. After NCSD try frinding "id.bin" and that should be your game's header ID. After id.bin, FIND "a2.bin" and that should be your chip ID.

Another thing you will want to take a note of is the panel on the left is tabled on the left and top. The left table are the ######## and the top has 00-0F and they are the XX-XX so...

#x0A means to look in 0A on line # whatever. You are now able to identify hex location.

The reason we need HxD editor is for memory dumping on PC. I tried using FRED a while back and I couldn't figure out how to memory dump. So I highly recommend HxD.

You need both "id.bin" and "a2.bin" for your Sky3DS template.

And now we just paste those hexidecimals into template? I think there was a post on this somewhere... Where's Foxi?

Hey Foxi, what do we do with the header hexidecimals once we have them? Do we need to patch them into the ROM or just the template header?

Reactions: 4ur0r

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can somone with the above required items try this and tell if it works properly? Thanks a lot Osmosis, your work is much appreciated.

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait till Foxi is on and we'll see if we can build a plugin for Sky Army Knife.

Still not sure if I have the right hexidecimals.

Otherwise, I'm going to go test my Zelda LBW on Sky3DS.

Hek, if we can find it, you can also copy the hex savedata so the Sky3DS will access the savedata from 3DS SD card.

Or just restore a savepoint from Powersaves onto Sky3DS once the template IDs are correct.

LameNobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait till Foxi is on and we'll see if we can build a plugin for Sky Army Knife.

Still not sure if I have the right hexidecimals.

Otherwise, I'm going to go test my Zelda LBW on Sky3DS.

Hek, if we can find it, you can also copy the hex savedata so the Sky3DS will access the savedata from 3DS SD card.

Or just restore a savepoint from Powersaves onto Sky3DS once the template IDs are correct.

Alright, so i managed to find a way to get the raw cart id (the one that would be used for gateway roms with GW rom patcher)
(this would be the unique ID for sky3ds users)

This makes me wonder how the auto-generate chip id per rom function of GW rom patcher works
But if anybody is interested in the unique id thing (this is the confirmed id, same method worked for both carts i dumped)

About your hex tut thing, i couldn't find any of my actual id's near the .bin files

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Highlight the cart ID in hex panel, look in the right panel (plaintext code), what is highlighted?

plaintext = the jumbled text code string on the right of the hexdecimals. When you select your header ID in HxD on the right it should also highlight the corresponding plaintext. Then we can just FIND that and rip the headers.

LameNobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Highlight the cart ID in hex panel, look in the right panel (plaintext code), what is highlighted?
Is this what you're referring to?

because this is the only thing i get when i follow your instructions which is literally the hex values for "id.bin" and whatever else i have highlighted

pxxSpzE.png

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so while in HxD can you find your header in the hex code? HIGHLIGHT it and then look at the plaintext and tell me what's highlighted...

LameNobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so while in HxD can you find your header in the hex code? HIGHLIGHT it and then look at the plaintext and tell me what's highlighted...

a bunch of random symbols/numbers/letters
(I'd tell you it exactly, but that would be giving you my PRIVATE ID, but.. as for getting the ID's i do have a method tested multiple times on two carts)

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, because it's encrypted... is there anything to identify before the header in the plaintext? Like "gameHEADER=" or something?

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a bunch of random symbols/numbers/letters
(I'd tell you it exactly, but that would be giving you my PRIVATE ID, but.. as for getting the ID's i do have a method tested multiple times on two carts)

With or without Gateway/Ninjahax? Share... maybe I can find it... (not your private ID but your method)

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im going to be wwaatching this. I gott a power save, tons of orig games and a sky3ds.

Also would love it if i could use the sky3ds with power save.

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're working on it... lameboy has some ideas... ignore my lousy tutorial. Apparently it's not id.bin or a2.bin.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a video of finding the private header with Powersaves:

So i did it and it works.

Make sure that the Powersave isnt ran as admin, or else it wont show up in HxD.

So now i am guessing i have to find a way to inject this into sky3ds

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So i did it and it works.

Make sure that the Powersave isnt ran as admin, or else it wont show up in HxD.

So now i am guessing i have to find a way to inject this into sky3ds

Well I think if you run powersave app with admin priviliges you have to run hxd with admin priviliges too to make it work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.