Hardware [Question] d Can the 3DS do normal mapping?

PlayerSlayer69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because searching up it’s GPU. You’re able to find a list of Maestro functions that it could do and Bump mapping is one of them but what about normal mapping? I’ve seen people who know a decent amount about technology that said the 3DS does have normal mapping and bump mapping at the same time. Although the Wikipedia page does say the 3DS does support Dot3 Bump Mapping/Normal Mapping so to an extent it does but likely a much older and less modern technique of it. I have seen games like Jett Rocket 2 and Ironfall invasion that seem to have some sort of Normal mapping trick that probably can’t be done with bump mapping or Dot3. But hey let me know or not

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because searching up it’s GPU. You’re able to find a list of Maestro functions that it could do and Bump mapping is one of them but what about normal mapping? I’ve seen people who know a decent amount about technology that said the 3DS does have normal mapping and bump mapping at the same time. Although the Wikipedia page does say the 3DS does support Dot3 Bump Mapping/Normal Mapping so to an extent it does but likely a much older and less modern technique of it. I have seen games like Jett Rocket 2 and Ironfall invasion that seem to have some sort of Normal mapping trick that probably can’t be done with bump mapping or Dot3. But hey let me know or not
is something like this https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-rehid-button-remapping-for-3ds.585387/ what you are after?

PlayerSlayer69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Voxel

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, both are very much achievable on hardware as you've already seen in some games.

To achieve dot3 bump mapping, you need to configure a texture combiner stage to use dot3rgb(a), setting the texture and primary color as the source operands, then pass an object-space (rainbow-colored) normal map to the relevant texture slot and a directional light vector to the primary color (you'll calculate and pass these in the vertex shader). It's a very old technique, and won't look nearly as nice as true normal mapping, but I imagine it also has decent performance over the latter since the operation is done per-texel and not per-pixel.

True normal mapping with a per-pixel light is a little more difficult, but devkitpro provides an example of how to do this. The PICA200 only has a fixed-function pixel pipeline, but provides necessary fragment lighting extensions that are enough to achieve the effect. I'm still a bit sketchy on the details, so I'd advise taking a look though the sample code I linked to get an idea of how it's configured, but it seems very similar to configuring the texture environment, but for per-pixel lighting instead (and this time, you would pass the more well-known blue/pink tangent-space normal map to the texture slot)

Last edited by Voxel,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...