Hacking [Question] Brazilian Title Install and crash at title screen

Salvation

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

So I'm a very fresh Japanese Wii U user. I own all discs for games I want to install via Brazilian Title Install, but would rather play those games in English. Unfortunately I've got problems with some of the games.

0. I tried to follow the github hacking guide to the best of my ability, I didn't do redNand nor Coldbood thingy to avoid any risk in bricking the console;
1. I am running Haxchi, got Homebrew Launcher installed with WUPInstaller - I'm already familiar with accessing those applications;
2. I own a Wii U Basic 8GB therefore I use an external HDD drive connected by Y cable to the Wii U, there I install all of my games.
3. So far I've downloaded a couple of backups from the uTikDownloadHelper - Super Mario Maker, ZombiU, Splatoon, Super Mario Bros. Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors.
I used Wii U USB Helper to download Super Mario 3D Land USA.
4. When installing back-ups I'm also allowing the system to update the games via nintendo shop disabling the DNS blockers for the time being.
4. First two games work without any problems, while Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and Super Mario 3D Land crash on the title screen - I can't do anything except hold the power off button and restart the Wii U.

Anything I'm doing wrong?

To hack Wii U I followed this guide: https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki
Mainly steps 0, 1, 2, 3 and 6. As I said I skipped redNand with MochaCFW, Coldbood Haxchi and vWii.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need Mocha or redNAND if you have HaxChi. Tell HaxChi to boot to system menu. This will patch for region free. Then try launching your USA games.

Edit you config.txt on your SD to autoboot to system menu. Then reinstall haxchi. This should work for your out of region games.

Without CBHC you'll have to tap haxchi every time you want to play a game. I'd look into CBHC. Don't believe all the brick hype. It's a simple setup and if you're not messing around with hacking system files after that you're good to go.

Also don't format your sysNAND unless you remove CBHC first. That's a sure brick but why would you format your sysNAND anyway?

Last edited by Kafluke,

Salvation

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your reply. Actually I checked, and I think those crashes are related to some kind of region lock - I downloaded JPN versions of all of those crashing titles, and all of them work in Japanese just fine. It wasn't any file corruption or being unlucky. I tried downloading EUR and USA versions twice - and they always crashed at the same moment in the title screen.

I did redNAND earlier today - got a big enough SD card to do so - I know it has nothing to do with the topic, just saying.

Tell HaxChi to boot to system menu. This will patch for region free. Then try launching your USA games.
you config.txt on your SD to autoboot to system menu. Then reinstall haxchi. This should work for your out of region games.

what do you mean by that? I mean from my understanding, whenever I want to launch the game, I have to "start" Haxchi, and then I'm free to open any homebrew/backups. Are you suggesting something more? Is there more to that?

Last edited by Salvation,

Velocity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your reply. Actually I checked, and I think those crashes are related to some kind of region lock - I downloaded JPN versions of all of those crashing titles, and all of them work in Japanese just fine. It wasn't any file corruption or being unlucky. I tried downloading EUR and USA versions twice - and they always crashed at the same moment in the title screen.

I did redNAND earlier today - got a big enough SD card to do so - I know it has nothing to do with the topic, just saying.

what do you mean by that? I mean from my understanding, whenever I want to launch the game, I have to "start" Haxchi, and then I'm free to open any homebrew/backups. Are you suggesting something more? Is there more to that?
He is suggesting you have this value in your Haxchi config file:
default=sysmenu

But in order for changes to the config file to take affect you have to install Haxchi (just run the installer in HBL and follow the instructions)

However if the guide you're talking about is FlimFlams guide on github, he already gets you to do this (Point 3, Step 8)

dojafoja

life elevated
Trophies
XP
Country

dojafoja

life elevated
Trophies
XP
Country
I've always had to reinstall to get changes in config to take place and I'm using latest. I'll have to test some more i guess
I can't personally confirm this. I just remember Fix94 clarifying a while back. According to the source he linked though it is indeed loaded and read at runtime.

Last edited by dojafoja,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-WNys2L1Zg