OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
So the steps that I should take are:
1- Get Wiikey's 1.9g update disk and burn and use it to update the Wii and I need a GC controller too. (Do i have to alter anything special?)

2- Then put the NTSC SMG into his NTSC Wii and wait for its updating (I donno if SMG still updates Wii or not)

anything else?

Does doing Wiikey's update necessary when I know the SMB backup I will use is NTSC?

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
1- Get Wiikey's 1.9g update disk and burn and use it to update the Wii and I need a GC controller too. (Do i have to alter anything special?)

2- Then put the NTSC SMG into his NTSC Wii and wait for its updating (I donno if SMG still updates Wii or not)

anything else?

Does doing Wiikey's update necessary when I know the SMB backup I will use is NTSC?

1. You wouldn't be updating the Wii itself with the 1.9g update, only the Wiikey. The GC Controller is just to navigate thru the update screen.

2. Yes, you then use SMG and update the Wii Console. Then as I said before, you will be able to play the game normally as if you purchased the copy in a store.

Also, the Wiikey has to be updated before updating the Wii because if you don't then you just won't be able to play the game.

~Fitzy~

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran

anything else?

1. You wouldn't be updating the Wii itself with the 1.9g update, only the Wiikey. The GC Controller is just to navigate thru the update screen.

2. Yes, you then use SMG and update the Wii Console. Then as I said before, you will be able to play the game normally as if you purchased the copy in a store.

Also, the Wiikey has to be updated before updating the Wii because if you don't then you just won't be able to play the game.

~Fitzy~

Thank for your patience and reply.

1)you said that "Also, the Wiikey has to be updated before updating the Wii because if you don't then you just won't be able to play the game.", doesnt first step update the wiikey? why did you say it again? did i miss something?

2)Is there a special menu in Wiikey's config for SMG? should i do something special about it?

3)There was another link for 1.3 update and was 14mg, Should I get that one first and THEN update it to 1.9g (since its 4mg only) or just updating with 1.9g does the job?

4)Which speed do you suggest burning that update disc?

Thanks again.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

anything else?

~Fitzy~

1)you said that "Also, the Wiikey has to be updated before updating the Wii because if you don't then you just won't be able to play the game.", doesnt first step update the wiikey? why did you say it again? did i miss something?

2)Is there a special menu in Wiikey's config for SMG? should i do something special about it?

3)There was another link for 1.3 update and was 14mg, Should I get that one first and THEN update it to 1.9g (since its 4mg only) or just updating with 1.9g does the job?

Thanks again.

Basically, here are the steps:

1. Update the Wii. Easy to do, just access the Wii Settings and the option to do so should be in that menu. Once done, your Wii firmware should be at around 3.1U.
2. Download 1.3 Config Disc and 1.9g Update for the Wiikey.
3. Burn both to a DVD using Imgburn or w/e program you use normally but make sure you burn it at the lowest speed possible and on good media (Verbatim -R's or something similar). Remember, the config disc is only for changing settings on the Wiikey itself not for updating it. The 1.9g update does that.
4. Once the 1.9g update is completed and successful (you should hear Homer go d'oh!), take the update DVD out and put in SMG. Run the update as normal and you will be ready for some SMG goodness.

There is nothing special in the config disc for SMG. The update disc was created fairly quickly to allow Wiikey users to play SMG. As I stated before, the config disc is for adjusting Wiikey settings (in your case, you will be using it to see if you have a Wiikey or not), and the update disc (1.9g) is used for patching the Wiikey for use with a backup copy of SMG.

Hope this helps bud.

~Fitzy~

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran

anything else?

~Fitzy~

Thanks again.

Basically, here are the steps:

1. Update the Wii. Easy to do, just access the Wii Settings and the option to do so should be in that menu. Once done, your Wii firmware should be at around 3.1U.
2. Download 1.3 Config Disc and 1.9g Update for the Wiikey.
3. Burn both to a DVD using Imgburn or w/e program you use normally but make sure you burn it at the lowest speed possible and on good media (Verbatim -R's or something similar). Remember, the config disc is only for changing settings on the Wiikey itself not for updating it. The 1.9g update does that.
4. Once the 1.9g update is completed and successful (you should hear Homer go d'oh!), take the update DVD out and put in SMG. Run the update as normal and you will be ready for some SMG goodness.

There is nothing special in the config disc for SMG. The update disc was created fairly quickly to allow Wiikey users to play SMG. As I stated before, the config disc is for adjusting Wiikey settings (in your case, you will be using it to see if you have a Wiikey or not), and the update disc (1.9g) is used for patching the Wiikey for use with a backup copy of SMG.

Hope this helps bud.

~Fitzy~

Why update the Wii? Doesnt SMG update Wii to 3.0? (Its really important since I'm on dial up and cant download that much from internets)

How can you burn both on a dvd? How it will work?

Why do I need the config disc? just to see whether if I have Wiikey or not? Doesnt using the update disc shows whether I have Wiikey or not? I'm sure it will not update something like cycloWiz with a wiikey update.

Would you answer my questions too?

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

[/quote]

Why update the Wii? If you don't want to before doing this then don't. I'm just sharing my personal experience and what I did when I updated my Wii. It worked for me so why not? Doesnt SMG update Wii to 3.0? Yes it does.

How can you burn both on a dvd? I meant burn both of them onto DVD's, as in one DVD per file.

Why do I need the config disc? I suggested the config disc just to see if it would boot and show you if you had the Wiikey or not. just to see whether if I have Wiikey or not? Yes. Doesnt using the update disc shows whether I have Wiikey or not? You are right sir. I never thought of that.

[/quote]

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Just thought I'd tell you that booting the config disc does not tell you whether you have a Wiikey. The Wiinja/Cyclowiz/etc discs will also boot.

Whoops. The 1.9g update working will show him whether or not he has a Wiikey tho. My mistake.

Edit: This is the thread that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends...

~Fitzy~

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Thank you guys, I got his Wii !
Tomorrow I'll get SMG and try it!

Thank you guys.

and yes, even if this thread works, it still goes on and on.
maybe continue it over testing area, its a waste of time to see topics like this, die. :'(

And I wish it would be stickied, Since this seems having an unknown chip with SMG be a very popular problem. (Since if people know what chip they have, they can find out about their SMG update easily) *MOd ALert*

EDIT:
I burned ISO of 1.9g UC update one time with Nero and another time with CloneDVD on a fastec DVD+R, first time it showed a black screen that said it cannot read the disc, the second time that I burned with CloneDVD, there was an exclamation mark in Wii's main menu that said it cannot read the disc.

Is the problem that I used DVD+R's ? and when I burn it, should I use it like a normal game or I should hold a certain button at boot time or something?

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
no but my friend told me with the buttons on the Wii itself, I can navigate the menus.

Should I use that? and which DVD type should I get next? DVD+R or DVD-R and at which speed should I burn it?

EDIT: Another thing, If I just get a copy of NTSC/UC of SMG, Do I still need to use Wiikey's update? In another words, Is it possible for a NTSC Wii + Wiikey user to have just put a copy of SMG and use its update?

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
no but my friend told me with the buttons on the Wii itself, I can navigate the menus. Yes, you can. But it is much easier to use a GC controller.

Should I use that? Again, I would recommend you use a GC controller. and which DVD type should I get next? DVD+R or DVD-R and at which speed should I burn it? Treat the 1.9g Update the same way as you would when burning a game. Burn at the lowest speed possible on high quality media such as Verbatim -R's. I use ImgBurn to do this and it works very well.

EDIT: Another thing, If I just get a copy of NTSC/UC of SMG, Do I still need to use Wiikey's update? Yes. In another words, Is it possible for a NTSC Wii + Wiikey user to have just put a copy of SMG and use its update? Sure is. But it won't do you any good. The game will not work.

~Fitzy~

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Thank you, The reason I didnt reply was that I went after buying the copy itself.

Another question, My friend told me that he never updated his wiikey-clone, So is it safe to jump straight to this 1.9g? I was thinking about this since this update is a hot-fix and maybe resides on previous updates that appearantly we dont have.

And I think there is no such way to determine which Firmware our wiikey-clone is too.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you, The reason I didnt reply was that I went after buying the copy itself.

Another question, My friend told me that he never updated his wiikey-clone, So is it safe to jump straight to this 1.9g? If you want, use the other updates prior to updating to 1.9g. I didn't do it but it's better safe then sorry. I was thinking about this since this update is a hot-fix and maybe resides on previous updates that appearantly we dont have.

And I think there is no such way to determine which Firmware our wiikey-clone is too. If I am incorrect, could someone please correct me but I do believe that when using the Wiikey config disc, you can see the current firmware that the Wiikey is running.

Anywho, good luck in your continued quest bud. Don't forget I was a n00b when it came to this stuff as well so I know exactly where you are coming from in being so careful and asking so many questions. You definetely do not wish to break a $300.00 piece of equipment! Anywho, it was people like Samutz who passed this information along to me and I wish to pass this knowledge along as well.

I agree with one of your previous posts when you said this should be stickied by one of the mods as this is a question which is constantly asked by newer members and even some members who have been here for a while.

In any case, if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or just post it here. I'll be watching
lecture.gif

~Fitzy~

FlashCE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys, I have a Japanese Wii here and would like to play an English version of SMG. Does the 1.9g update of Wiikey allow cross-region SMG playing?

Also, if a modchip is not Wiikey, will the config disc not boot? I don't know the chip installed in the Wii.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If it's unknown you got about 80% chance it's wiikey
As almost all Chinese Wii's(Japanese but sold/importred in china) come with wiikey

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran

1-Another question, My friend told me that he never updated his wiikey-clone, So is it safe to jump straight to this 1.9g? I was thinking about this since this update is a hot-fix and maybe resides on previous updates that appearantly we dont have.

2-Is there such way to determine which Firmware my Wiikey already is on? Does config disk helps about this?

3- Is it important to get a DVD-R or DVD+R for burning the Wiikey Update? If yes, which one is recommended?

Would someone answer these?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: