ROM Hack Question About Pokemon X Translation

xdrako23x

Crash Bandicoot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, I would like to know how to only change the Pokemon Name language without changing the story language. Using Hans romfs and pk3ds or another tool.Thanks you.
In exemple I use the french language and I want to change all the Pokemon name to the english one without changing the dialogue.

Last edited by xdrako23x,
Reactions: Deleted-236924

supercarotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not sure you still need it, but pokemon names are stored in gametexts (file 80).
Just export both FR and EN gametext.txt using pk3ds, then use any text editor to paste lines 15811-16610 from EN to FR file. Or you can extract both 0/7/4 and 0/7/5 GARCs, and paste 080.bin from 0/7/4 to 0/7/5.
Then build your romfs from your new files and launch it with hans.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hello, I would like to know how to only change the Pokemon Name language without changing the story language. Using Hans romfs and pk3ds or another tool.Thanks you.
In exemple I use the french language and I want to change all the Pokemon name to the english one without changing the dialogue.

That's a bad idea, cause a bunch of Pokemon will be flagged as illegal combination. (Eng name on Fre language save and vice versa is normally not possible)

While evolved Pokemon may bypass this (because unnicknamed Pokemon takes the name of the language it evolved in),
All the basic Pokemon will definitely be flagged as illegal.

supercarotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's a bad idea, cause a bunch of Pokemon will be flagged as illegal combination. (Eng name on Fre language save and vice versa is normally not possible)

While evolved Pokemon may bypass this (because unnicknamed Pokemon takes the name of the language it evolved in),
All the basic Pokemon will definitely be flagged as illegal.

Are you sure ? As long as a pokemon doesn't have his "nickname flag" set it should display with its default name, which is stored in gametexts. Reverting back to the original game should show the original name.

Besides, why should he care anyway ? You can't play online with HANS romhacks.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Are you sure ? As long as a pokemon doesn't have his "nickname flag" set it should display with its default name, which is stored in gametexts. Reverting back to the original game should show the original name.

Besides, why should he care anyway ? You can't play online with HANS romhacks.

Erm, I'm sure.

When a Pokemon a captured, it takes the name it's supposed to have from the language file, and is saved in its data.

So let's say if you have an unnicknamed Pokemon from your save in Fre, and decided to change your game language to eng through the hack mentioned above, the existing Pokemon will remain in Fre.

because it doesn't re-reference upon every reload.
They only re-reference like when it's evolve, or other special circumstances.

With the hack above, your game will think that "Charizard" is the French name, cause you hacked the French names to use English names.
Thing is, when you connect to a server to trade, battle or whatever, the server might not recognise the discrepancy, since it'll may just compare name to your cart directory (which you hacked so it'll "seem the same").

Whatever the case it, it'll still be an illegal combination you may wanna avoid, cause we don't know for sure how the server runs it validation (it could validate against its own data, rather than the games data, because of such hacks)

xdrako23x

Crash Bandicoot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the clarification. But as I use Hans and with an edited rom of Pokemon Y dont really care about the online on that one. On my official gameplay I will use original Pokemon on the X version.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Thanks for the clarification. But as I use Hans and with an edited rom of Pokemon Y dont really care about the online on that one. On my official gameplay I will use original Pokemon on the X version.

No issues, just clarifying.

I did it that for Pokemon black back in Ds days.

To be more specific,

I played Korean Version with Korean Pokemon names, and English story, English Attacks, English items.

This way, my Pokemon was technically legal, cause same name and language.

Items are referred by the game by item ID, so the issue doesn't happen for items.

supercarotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Erm, I'm sure.

When a Pokemon a captured, it takes the name it's supposed to have from the language file, and is saved in its data.

So let's say if you have an unnicknamed Pokemon from your save in Fre, and decided to change your game language to eng through the hack mentioned above, the existing Pokemon will remain in Fre.

because it doesn't re-reference upon every reload.
They only re-reference like when it's evolve, or other special circumstances.

With the hack above, your game will think that "Charizard" is the French name, cause you hacked the French names to use English names.
Thing is, when you connect to a server to trade, battle or whatever, the server might not recognise the discrepancy, since it'll may just compare name to your cart directory (which you hacked so it'll "seem the same").

Whatever the case it, it'll still be an illegal combination you may wanna avoid, cause we don't know for sure how the server runs it validation (it could validate against its own data, rather than the games data, because of such hacks)

Well, that makes sense so I guess you're right^^ Anyway, @xdrako23x would just have to use PKHex to set/unset the nickname flag to reset his pokemon names before inserting them in a legit save (there is a prgram called Mass Editor that can do this kind of simple operation with batches of files).

Reactions: Queno138
D

Deleted-236924

I like that, I remember back then I wanted to do the same thing but with Gen. V games, have french language game but with all English names for places and Pokémon. I think I gave up though.

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it's possible....
I have pokemon name in English/Chinese(optional) and dialogue in fans translated Chinese.
i believe u can do the samething to it.:P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y