Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The theme was completely custom made by @shaunj66 (not sure if he had help, but kudos to anyone else if he did cuz it's beautiful work), it's not something you can just get a skin of for other sites.

It's based off of old NFO files and BBS sites of yore, if you're interested in that kind of design and want to find similar things.

But nobody is going to actually make a theme like this for sites for everyday use, it's simply not actually usable for the average person.

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved the old irc loading screen the nro design looked awesome but I found it kind of hard to read. Was very awesome work and I'm sure more than 1 person would donate in order to unlock that theme permanently

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning on retiring it after April fools but as people seemed to really enjoy it I will keep the style around for the foreseeable future but there will come a time when it will have to be removed I'm afraid.

Please also keep in mind:
  • The style is not designed with usability in mind
  • Some areas/pages/elements may appear broken
  • The style will not be maintained

Lv44ES_Burner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was planning on retiring it after April fools but as people seemed to really enjoy it I will keep the style around for the foreseeable future but there will come a time when it will have to be removed I'm afraid.

Please also keep in mind:
  • The style is not designed with usability in mind
  • Some areas/pages/elements may appear broken
  • The style will not be maintained

Well, that's disappointing. I was honestly expecting it TO be a permanent choice, but if those are the facts, I don't see any reason to keep using it then. That's a buzzkill to my morning if there ever was one, 'cause I found it much more useable as a dark theme than anything else; if it had been tweaked to not deep-fry the images with 8-bit color depth, I think it would have been a perfect fit.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, that's disappointing. I was honestly expecting it TO be a permanent choice, but if those are the facts, I don't see any reason to keep using it then. That's a buzzkill to my morning if there ever was one, 'cause I found it much more useable as a dark theme than anything else; if it had been tweaked to not deep-fry the images with 8-bit color depth, I think it would have been a perfect fit.
Have you tried the built-in dark styles on the regular style? You can find them under the 'Customize Colors' popup and clicking on the dropdown menu "Default".

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Lv44ES_Burner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried the built-in dark styles on the regular style? You can find them under the 'Customize Colors' popup and clicking on the dropdown menu "Default".
Yeah; the dark styles are what I had been using, and they're very customizable to boot, but the NFO theme using solely ASCII-based elements seemed to me to be just a bit less resource-intensive on the site compared to the dark styles in tempStyle3.

With the only graphical elements being solely images posted in threads and in profile pictures/signatures, it seemed to me at least that the site's dependence on memory was lighter. I can track this in Opera GX sometime, I believe, and compare a tab with the NFO style to a tab with the normal CSS style; I'll more than likely do so a bit later this morning.

EDIT: Okay, yeah. That's kind of conclusive; with tempStyle3 active, the tab will max out at around 96 MB of RAM used; with tempStyleNFO, it shoots up to about 140MB. That's on the home portal alone. I was more than likely seeing a placebo effect, there, so there's definitely no usability boost here.

Last edited by Lv44ES_Burner,

anthony001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i cant seem to get the loading thing to work. like when i visit gbatemps homepage on april fools it kinda did something like "loading <insert something" kinda like a terminal. is that only for april fools

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i cant seem to get the loading thing to work. like when i visit gbatemps homepage on april fools it kinda did something like "loading <insert something" kinda like a terminal. is that only for april fools
That was removed from the style after April 1st.

@shaunj66 can't you upload it so people can edit it/use it for their own XenForo boards?
No I'm afraid not.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
@shaunj66 Can I view the theme without losing my color settings? I'm kind of afraid to switch over to see it.
Maybe I’m crazy, but iirc you can export your style and save your color settings in the customization tool at the bottom. And then import them after you’re done with the other theme

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! I'm trying the theme, now. This reminds me of something like MS-DOS or UNIX Shell. This theme is AWESOME! Too bad it's going away...

However, I can see why it would be hard to maintain. Several things:
  • The color palette is limited; my avatar and other images on this site are washed out. If this were to be kept as a normal theme, it would have to show the default color palette.
  • The style is obviously not mobile-friendly. Some elements seem to get crushed upon resizing the window.
  • Not everything renders in proper.
  • As @Lv44ES_Burner pointed out on comment #8, the page loads a bit slower.

Nice theme. Really nice. But not too practical. Regardless, I'll use it until it's no longer available, as I'm feeling a nostalgia vibe just using it... :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My 1500ish games is all hand picked and scraped it's taken me months but zero trash well except MAME.... Tried deleting clones and broke the originals uugghh
    +1
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom