Homebrew Quake with Normal Maps..?

bytor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Have just seen someone on another forum I frequent mention that he has a version of Quake that has normal maps, but the silly old sod managed to get himself banned for some reason so I can't find out where he got it from!!! Has anyone else seen it..? I've had Quake on my SD card for a while but haven't updated it via the Homebrew Browser in ages, if I do update it this way will I end up with the normal mapped version..? Or will I have to download it from elsewhere..?

Many thanks in advance for any help, Quake is my all-time favourite FPS of all-time (narrowly beating Duke Nukem 3D!) and I'd love to see a normal mapped version!

John_Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bytor said:
Have just seen someone on another forum I frequent mention that he has a version of Quake that has normal maps, but the silly old sod managed to get himself banned for some reason so I can't find out where he got it from!!! Has anyone else seen it..? I've had Quake on my SD card for a while but haven't updated it via the Homebrew Browser in ages, if I do update it this way will I end up with the normal mapped version..? Or will I have to download it from elsewhere..?

Many thanks in advance for any help, Quake is my all-time favourite FPS of all-time (narrowly beating Duke Nukem 3D!) and I'd love to see a normal mapped version!

Hi,

If you have the original CD, you have everything you need to play the original map to your wii... You don't need to update the game on the wii, you have to copy the .pak from your orignal CD, that's it...

bytor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yup, I know how to get the full game (but thanks anyway!), I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about a normal mapped Quake on the Wii. Sounds like updating it to its latest version won't do it so I guess I'll have to wait for this guy's ban to end to find out how he did it or where he got it from. As soon as I find out I'll let you all know, a normal mapped Quake will be unbelievable!!!
ohmy.gif
D

bytor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't mean in-game maps! Normal maps or bump maps are shader (or TEV in the Wii's case!) effects on textures that make them appear more 3D. It makes them look more realistic by having light reflecting from the 3D surfaces creating shadows and light highlights from textures. You can see it when playing the Gamecube franchise Rogue Squadron and The Conduit on the Wii.

You need the texture and a normal map (which is blue, green and purple when viewed in a paint program) to produce this affect. Somebody, somewhere has managed to do this but I don't know where to get hold of it.
smile.gif

Category

Trainee Romhacker
Trophies
Website
masseffectzero.blogspot.co.uk
XP
Country
Oh, bump mapping. You should have mentioned earlier! As far as I am aware, none of the Quake ports for Wii have bump mapping in them, as it was not in the original engine that was ported. In fact, I don't think Quake 2 or 3 had bump mapping either, when they were released.

It would be a good addition, but unnecessary. If you're playing the original quake to be wowed by graphics, you are doing it wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1