Hacking Q:Online functionality with Gateway 3DS and other carts

alepman89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Probably this question asked before,but why Gateway carts doesn't support online gaming
is it because they cant or they won't ?
is each 3DS cartridge(like Mario Kart 7 for example)has it's own serial number checked by Nintendo
when it connects online?
I'm a noob here so please be nice.

Reactions: Abdelatif

phanteon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, online works with GW fw 1.0?

I'd really like an answer to OP's question too, as I've already asked the same question in the noob thread, and no one can seem to answer as to why there's no online.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I would just imagine that the patches gateway makes to enable their card breaks something else relied on for multiplayer, pretty sure all carts would have the same data, and if not surely online would still work on a backup as for all intents and purposes nintendo would think it's the one cart until it starts getting used all over the world at the same time lol, so unless they download every rom released and block the specific cart, it just much more likely gateway disables a certain cart check, that is also used when connecting to online services

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Any given feature takes a lot of time and programming to implement. Online will work eventually, they just have to change the information that gets sent to Nintendo's servers via packet editing. Which means they'll likely have to do it on a game-by-game basis. Multi-rom and NAND-saving compatibility obviously take priority over that, as they are more basic and universal features.

alepman89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Any given feature takes a lot of time and programming to implement. Online will work eventually, they just have to change the information that gets sent to Nintendo's servers via packet editing. Which means they'll likely have to do it on a game-by-game basis. Multi-rom and NAND-saving compatibility obviously take priority over that, as they are more basic and universal features.

I'm not saying they have to do it right away,in fact i appreciate their work especially with region lock and FW spoof
even the NAND saving games(AC:NL and Pokemon XY) that people are waiting to be compatible in future update are worthless without online.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Pretty sure that Online isn't working due to the nature of the exploit, not imaginary uniqueness of 3DS carts. As far as I know, they're not unique and they do not have unique serial numbers - each and every one is the same within its respective region.

Reactions: cearp

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying they have to do it right away,in fact i appreciate their work especially with region lock and FW spoof
even the NAND saving games(AC:NL and Pokemon XY) that people are waiting to be compatible in future update are worthless without online.
That's personal opinion (and in fact I'd say those are the only two 3DS games worth playing online right now). If people are eager to play those games online, they can just do what I did and buy the retail cartridges for those two and play through emuNAND. That still leaves me with a good 11 games or so whose online features I don't care about to play using my Gateway.

tofast4u

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure that Online isn't working due to the nature of the exploit, not imaginary uniqueness of 3DS carts. As far as I know, they're not unique and they do not have unique serial numbers - each and every one is the same within its respective region.
I think each game does have a unique serial number. Isn't that the reason why you can't manually backup the save files of your 3DS games, and then download their ROM counterparts and use that same save file?

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
I think each game does have a unique serial number. Isn't that the reason why you can't manually backup the save files of your 3DS games, and then download their ROM counterparts and use that same save file?
thats probably because nintendo and gateway backup/create saves differently
also how would nintendo do its the same game dump being used to access internet if there is no simultaneous connections the only assumption they can make is game being used on different 3ds

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

its more likely an online key is generated by your unique console id in the same way save games get encrypted then that gets verified by Nintendo's servers when trying to connect.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As it was mentioned before, the games don't have to be unique for verification purposes - the console already has unique sets of various keys and a unique Friend Code, nowadays also tied to a NNID. Manufacturing unique carts for games would make the process pretty convoluted. ;)

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To answer your question without assuming anything: we don't know. They haven't told us. It could be intentional so as to avoid possible bricking/banning of consoles. It could be because Gateway breaks some kind of code that is required to connect to their servers. It could be because of global warming. We don't know.

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Manufacturing unique carts for games would make the process pretty convoluted. ;)

Yes. But if it is software based that's entirely different. It's the same thing with pc online gaming. Generating unique serials for each copy of the game is easy.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. But if it is software based that's entirely different. It's the same thing with pc online gaming. Generating unique serials for each copy of the game is easy.
This is the 3DS, not the PC. Do you know the kind of PR hell that Nintendo will go through if they make it so that borrowed/rented/second-hand 3DS games were unable to go online just because they wanted to fight piracy?

Generating unique serials is easy. But what are you gonna do with those unique serials? Once the code's entered in, the game with that code will be able to go online, meaning any copies of it would too. The only way serials could work is if they were tied to consoles, and that would create the PR hell I mentioned earlier.

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo