Homebrew (Q) Cross-region homebrew installing shenanigans

seresaa

Resa
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TL,DR: Can I use Smashhax to install Supermysterychunkhax, and would it install to a Japanese SMD cartridge using an American 3DS on official 11.0?
----
I wanted to explain myself, but it got a bit long-winded so I put it under spoilers. I also have a second question, but this one is what's worrying me the most at the moment. I feel like I should try to clarify myself more, but it's 6:30 AM and I haven't slept in two days over my excitement and I'm basically dead, goodnight.

I've got two 3DSes here. One is my sister's N3DS XL which is 11.0.0-33U, and the other's my O3DS running 10.7.0-32J. Neither have homebrew installed yet, but that's what I'm about to rectify. Hopefully, anyway. The plan is to use Smashhax on her N3DS to install Supermysterychunkhax to a Japanese copy of Super Mystery Dungeon, and use that cartridge to get into the HBL on my 3DS. (I already own the eShop version but since that obviously will not get the job done, I threw another $40 at a physical copy that should get here Wednesday)

I've done some fiddling with my grandmother's console near the start of this week (there's around 5 3DSes in this family) and messed around using Menuhax for a while since her console hadn't been updated past 9.9. Decided I wanted to try to downgrade it, but I kind of entered autopilot, downloaded the Japanese 9.2.0 files and installed them onto her definitely-not-Japanese console. Didn't realize what I was doing until the process had already completed. Got it working again with a system restore, so crisis averted.

What worries me, though, is that I don't know how the *hax and the Homebrew Launcher work as far as how it uses the 3DS hardware. I was pretty confident that I could do this with Menuhax, but now that I'm resorting to Smashhax, I'm far from 100% that Supermysterychunkhax will be able to read a Japanese cartridge from an American 3DS, especially considering the fact that I have to switch cartridges once it loads and I swear I can remember the then-homebrewed 3DS not refreshing gamecards a few times when I was playing around with my JPN Pokemon Y..

As far as I understand, mysterychunk screws with the save file. Basically the same thing I was doing with Y, except this time involving a lot more techno-magic. But I'm pretty sure SMD doesn't have near-identical rom images for every region, and I thought that might have had something to do with why I was able to use a Japanese Pokemon Y with the save manager and have no issues. I'm probably wrong, but I'm a noob to the 3DS's inner machinations.

So assuming this is going to work,
and I know a bit late to be asking my original question considering the game is gonna be sitting at my doorstep soon and I'm just going to try it anyway, but assuming it'll work; I'm going to start following Plailect's guide to get myself some juicy CFW on my 10.7 o3DS. I read the bit about how it could brick the system causing me to have to upgrade to 11.0 even though I'm making sure I have the correct files this time. I have an o3DS, and I don't have any of the common "symptoms?" (can't think of a word.) that would increase the chances of making the 9.2.0 downgrade fail, but I still want to be safe and do a system format before I start the guide. I don't really have a use for cfw yet, but I'm the kind of person that just really enjoys learning about the innards of computers, and HBL access from the home menu sounds pretty cool.

The only thing that's stopping me from formatting right this minute is, I want to keep the games I've bought from the eShop, and I don't know if formatting and going through this process will allow me to keep them by the end. I love the sound of what I'll be doing over the course of the guide (I look forward to the procedure more than the result), but I really don't want to lose my games, as most of them are digital. That's a lot of money I'd have wasted, and I don't want to pirate them back. So my second question is, if I do a system format before starting, will I be able to re-link my NNID at the end of it all and be able to redownload my games?

Also, apparently as of now I am no longer an anonymous lurker. Hi!

seresaa

Resa
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you'll be able to relink your NNID, but your saves will be gone. Before you start on the downgrade, use JK's Save Manager through homebrew to backup all your saves so you can import them back later.
Was planning to, assuming everything didn't go up in flames like I'm used to when attempting this kind of thing. I guess my situation is a bit too unusual to get a definite answer to. Thank you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated