(Q) Cross-region homebrew installing shenanigans

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by seresaa, May 30, 2016.

1. seresaa
    OP

seresaa Resa

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Goldenrod City
    TL,DR: Can I use Smashhax to install Supermysterychunkhax, and would it install to a Japanese SMD cartridge using an American 3DS on official 11.0?
    ----
    I wanted to explain myself, but it got a bit long-winded so I put it under spoilers. I also have a second question, but this one is what's worrying me the most at the moment. I feel like I should try to clarify myself more, but it's 6:30 AM and I haven't slept in two days over my excitement and I'm basically dead, goodnight.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

So assuming this is going to work,
    and I know a bit late to be asking my original question considering the game is gonna be sitting at my doorstep soon and I'm just going to try it anyway, but assuming it'll work; I'm going to start following Plailect's guide to get myself some juicy CFW on my 10.7 o3DS. I read the bit about how it could brick the system causing me to have to upgrade to 11.0 even though I'm making sure I have the correct files this time. I have an o3DS, and I don't have any of the common "symptoms?" (can't think of a word.) that would increase the chances of making the 9.2.0 downgrade fail, but I still want to be safe and do a system format before I start the guide. I don't really have a use for cfw yet, but I'm the kind of person that just really enjoys learning about the innards of computers, and HBL access from the home menu sounds pretty cool.

The only thing that's stopping me from formatting right this minute is, I want to keep the games I've bought from the eShop, and I don't know if formatting and going through this process will allow me to keep them by the end. I love the sound of what I'll be doing over the course of the guide (I look forward to the procedure more than the result), but I really don't want to lose my games, as most of them are digital. That's a lot of money I'd have wasted, and I don't want to pirate them back. So my second question is, if I do a system format before starting, will I be able to re-link my NNID at the end of it all and be able to redownload my games?

Also, apparently as of now I am no longer an anonymous lurker. Hi!

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I think you'll be able to relink your NNID, but your saves will be gone. Before you start on the downgrade, use JK's Save Manager through homebrew to backup all your saves so you can import them back later.

3. seresaa
    OP

seresaa Resa

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Goldenrod City
    Was planning to, assuming everything didn't go up in flames like I'm used to when attempting this kind of thing. I guess my situation is a bit too unusual to get a definite answer to. Thank you