Hacking [Q] Convert NAND backup into emuNAND for MT Card exploit

Unkn0wn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok,

So does anyone know if it's possible to make a NAND backup work with the MT CARD exploit? The reason I ask is because of the following:

• I downgrade my 3DS from 9.2 to 4.5.x
  • I use MT Cards emuNAND feature
  • Update emuNAND to 9.4
  • Try running Pokemon Y from a retail card
  • Pokemon says the save data is corrupt, but when I restore my NAND backup (9.2) - Pokemon works again.
I believe it has something to do with the EXTDATA, perhaps downgrading the console to 4.x messes Pokemon's extData up?
Would be awesome if I could do this:
  • Create 9.2 NAND backup
  • Downgrade console
  • Use MT exploit
  • Inject NAND backup into EMUNAND
  • Play Pokemon Y again.
Any suggestions?

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. Doesn't work like that. The reason pokemon doesn't work is because it has 6.X saving (like a lot of new games). Which means that if you aren't on sysnand 6.X+, then you can't use the saves from there.

Emunand still uses the sysnand saving, which is why it doesn't work until you restore your 9.2 nand.

If you were to delete your 6.X save, you could start fresh with a 4.X save, and it should work fine.

Unkn0wn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nope. Doesn't work like that. The reason pokemon doesn't work is because it has 6.X saving (like a lot of new games). Which means that if you aren't on sysnand 6.X+, then you can't use the saves from there.

Emunand still uses the sysnand saving, which is why it doesn't work until you restore your 9.2 nand.

If you were to delete your 6.X save, you could start fresh with a 4.X save, and it should work fine.

You misunderstand. I use 4.5 to boot into 9.4 to run Pokemon. However - as you already stated - Pokemon requires 6.x, what if downgrading my console corrupted the data stored in the extDATA? Then upgrading emunand from 4.x to 9.4 allows me to run the game, but the save data on the NAND may have been damaged because of 4.x

Unkn0wn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Ooohh. I see. Well, so much for emunand. No way am I deleting my data. Thanks for the reply! I didn't know that running game cards from emunand still wrote to sysnand.

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You misunderstand. I use 4.5 to boot into 9.4 to run Pokemon. However - as you already stated - Pokemon requires 6.x, what if downgrading my console corrupted the data stored in the extDATA? Then upgrading emunand from 4.x to 9.4 allows me to run the game, but the save data on the NAND may have been damaged because of 4.x

It didn't. Your data isn't corrupt. As I said, the save data is 6.X encrypted, from when you played on 9.2. 4.X sysnand (with 9.4emunand) uses 4.X encryption, not 6.X. Which means it can't read the file. Regardless of whether you boot into 9.4 emunand. It's still 4.X sysnand and 4.X save key.

If you restore your 4.5 sysnand, or update it, you'll see that your pokemon file works fine. If you have 9.2 sysnand and 9.4 emunand, your pokemon game will work on both. Downgrading doesn't touch the pokemon save. It touches the system save key, which downgrades it to the 4.X one rather than 6.X.

Note that your 4.X save games work fine. Just not any new 6.X games (Smash, Pokemon, Pokemon Art Academy, etc).

Ooohh. I see. Well, so much for emunand. No way am I deleting my data. Thanks for the reply! I didn't know that running game cards from emunand still wrote to sysnand.

It uses sysnand save keys. At least, until someone finds a way around it. You can delete your data to use the old key instead. But if you want your 6.X save, you gotta play on 6.X+ sysnand. I'm in the same predicament. I'm hoping someone finds a way to convert the saves between 6.X and 4.X, but that hasn't happened yet.

You can simply restore to 9.2 sysnand whenever you want to play the 6.X games if you want to keep the files.

Keep in mind, if it's a 6.X game, and you make a 4.X save, when you update past 6.X+ it'll read as such, causing a problem on the 4.X save (AFAIK).

Unkn0wn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It didn't. Your data isn't corrupt. As I said, the save data is 6.X encrypted, from when you played on 9.2. 4.X sysnand (with 9.4emunand) uses 4.X encryption, not 6.X. Which means it can't read the file. Regardless of whether you boot into 9.4 emunand. It's still 4.X sysnand and 4.X save key.

If you restore your 4.5 sysnand, or update it, you'll see that your pokemon file works fine. If you have 9.2 sysnand and 9.4 emunand, your pokemon game will work on both. Downgrading doesn't touch the pokemon save. It touches the system save key, which downgrades it to the 4.X one rather than 6.X.

Note that your 4.X save games work fine. Just not any new 6.X games (Smash, Pokemon, Pokemon Art Academy, etc).

It uses sysnand save keys. At least, until someone finds a way around it. You can delete your data to use the old key instead. But if you want your 6.X save, you gotta play on 6.X+ sysnand. I'm in the same predicament. I'm hoping someone finds a way to convert the saves between 6.X and 4.X, but that hasn't happened yet.

You can simply restore to 9.2 sysnand whenever you want to play the 6.X games if you want to keep the files.

Keep in mind, if it's a 6.X game, and you make a 4.X save, when you update past 6.X+ it'll read as such, causing a problem on the 4.X save (AFAIK).

Oh cool. Thanks for the detailed explanation! I really appreciate it :D

Unkn0wn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Do you think gateway will still work if I update to 6.x with the Pokemon Y card? If so, I could upgrade to 6.x, boot emunand and I should be able to play Pokemon, correct?

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think gateway will still work if I update to 6.x with the Pokemon Y card? If so, I could upgrade to 6.x, boot emunand and I should be able to play Pokemon, correct?

Yes and no. The DS profile exploit doesn't work on anything besides 4.X. But Gateway released a new exploit that works through the browser. And that indeed works on 9.2, seeing as that's how you downgrade in the first place. Your system doesn't need to be on 6.X exactly. Anything above it will work.

So if you have a gateway card, you can simply restore to 9.2 sysnand and use the browser exploit to boot into emunand and then play pokemon.

Unkn0wn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes and no. The DS profile exploit doesn't work on anything besides 4.X. But Gateway released a new exploit that works through the browser. And that indeed works on 9.2, seeing as that's how you downgrade in the first place. Your system doesn't need to be on 6.X exactly. Anything above it will work.

So if you have a gateway card, you can simply restore to 9.2 sysnand and use the browser exploit to boot into emunand and then play pokemon.

Of course! Unfortunately, I've already attempted emuNAND on 9.2, but it doesn't work. When I launch the browser exploit and create the emuNAND - when I try to launch it in classic mode, the system just crashes. I don't know if this is a bug or anything... No way am I going to buy a GateWay though - I'd rather spend that money on something else.

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course! Unfortunately, I've already attempted emuNAND on 9.2, but it doesn't work. When I launch the browser exploit and create the emuNAND - when I try to launch it in classic mode, the system just crashes. I don't know if this is a bug or anything... No way am I going to buy a GateWay though - I'd rather spend that money on something else.

Nope, gotta have a gateway card to use gateway emunand 6.X+ and sysnand 6.X+. That's their marketing trick. Gotta buy a gateway card if you want to do that. So yea, you're in the exact same position as me. Either restore to sysnand 9.2 and play your games there, or delete the file and play with a 4.X save. Those are your options. The last option (the one you want) is to buy a gateway card, use it on sysnand 9.2 and boot emunand 9.4 to then play your games with their original saves.

Unkn0wn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, gotta have a gateway card to use gateway emunand 6.X+ and sysnand 6.X+. That's their marketing trick. Gotta buy a gateway card if you want to do that. So yea, you're in the exact same position as me. Either restore to sysnand 9.2 and play your games there, or delete the file and play with a 4.X save. Those are your options. The last option (the one you want) is to buy a gateway card, use it on sysnand 9.2 and boot emunand 9.4 to then play your games with their original saves.

I see. That's a shame. I'm gonna wait and see if any developers come up with something. Maybe someone will create a homebrew that allows emunand on 9.2...

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. That's a shame. I'm gonna wait and see if any developers come up with something. Maybe someone will create a homebrew that allows emunand on 9.2...

That's what everyone's hoping. You can still do emunand on sysnand 9.2, but IIRC it can't be over a specific emunand version, due to Gateway's DRM. At the moment, there's lots of people working to try and make their own launcher, so this will be possible.

But we'll see.

Reactions: Unkn0wn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1